🥇 BANNER My first George Washington Inaugural Button!

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Joe and I went out for a little while to a cellar hole we've been at before, we were up to 9 assorted coppers including a nice Fugio. The wind was blasting at 40 mph, kept away from the big trees but still it was freaky up on the hillside. Found two more coppers today, and going slow along the edges in-between nails I found what I think is my first GW button:

IMG_0445.jpeg

Found this one on one of the collector sites:

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 5.20.13 PM.png

Not quite the same but I think it's in the ballpark. I figured you guys would know. Shank is perfect, kind of afraid to touch it to see if there's any writing on the back. Looks like it had some gold gilt at one time.

Here are the other two coppers I found:

IMG_0451.jpeg

HH, Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 86

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: I reached out to Heritage and Stacks just to see if there was any interest in the button, both of them want to feature in their upcoming Americana auctions. The guy from Heritage I spoke to says he has no doubt it is authentic, and could fetch 5K. Not sure what I want to do, have you guys ever sold anything on those auction sites? Heritage charges 20%, Stacks only 5%, how come the huge difference?
I sold at Stacks.......Buyer pays 15% and seller pays 5%. At least that's what it was 10 years ago.

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is this not on the banner yet? This is a great find!

OP
OP
cheffer

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To all on this forum, be extremely careful who you share your finds with, I'm currently being stalked by an extremely unhinged individual who is accusing me of trespassing on private property to retrieve this button. I placed it on Ebay for 24 hours last week so I could get a sense of the interest, and this person contacted me outside of Ebay to make me an offer, which I declined. Ever since, he has been sending threatening emails and has even gone so far as contacting Robert Silverstein, who manages an excellent GWI button site, and accused me of theft because he found some holes in the ground hours away from my town.

I have been detecting since 2004, and was introduced to the hobby by my father and my mother who were some of the earliest detectorists in this area. I am an upstanding member of my community, and have always followed the letter of the law. The guys that I go with are all on the local PD, you know them on this forum, and we NEVER trespass or cross onto private or posted or restricted property. I was with my friend and neighbor Joe when I found this button, he is also a local cop, and can attest to the location where it was recovered.

My mistake for putting it out there, I should have only shared it with the members of this community of which I have been (I hope) a trusted member for almost two decades. What was my proudest find is now tainted by this nut-job's accusations. Please just be careful.

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To all on this forum, be extremely careful who you share your finds with, I'm currently being stalked by an extremely unhinged individual who is accusing me of trespassing on private property to retrieve this button. I placed it on Ebay for 24 hours last week so I could get a sense of the interest, and this person contacted me outside of Ebay to make me an offer, which I declined. Ever since, he has been sending threatening emails and has even gone so far as contacting Robert Silverstein, who manages an excellent GWI button site, and accused me of theft because he found some holes in the ground hours away from my town.

I have been detecting since 2004, and was introduced to the hobby by my father and my mother who were some of the earliest detectorists in this area. I am an upstanding member of my community, and have always followed the letter of the law. The guys that I go with are all on the local PD, you know them on this forum, and we NEVER trespass or cross onto private or posted or restricted property. I was with my friend and neighbor Joe when I found this button, he is also a local cop, and can attest to the location where it was recovered.

My mistake for putting it out there, I should have only shared it with the members of this community of which I have been (I hope) a trusted member for almost two decades. What was my proudest find is now tainted by this nut-job's accusations. Please just be careful.

That's just sad... people can be so vindictive for no reason. Always trying to stir the pot. I never really understood why there are people out there looking for a reason to hate/accuse someone.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Unhinged? ??? If you ask me, the door to the nuthouse fell out of its frame, and this guy came running out and remains on the lamb. :tard::tard::tard: Crazy that he offers to buy the button and then claims that it came off his land when he can't make a deal. Best to ignore him. Perhaps there's a big lottery ticket winner who had stolen his winning numbers who he'll be chasing after. :laughing7:

Well, best of luck with your tremendous find. For what it's worth, I know that Stacks has a rock-solid reputation and offered up one of the best known collections of GWI buttons years ago; of course, I know of no concerns with Heritage. My banner vote is submitted for a scarcely found GWI button variety.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATULATIONS STEVE! Was afraid is wasn't going to make it! Hogge.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on getting it up top.:occasion14:

Hope that your nutter has taken a liking to something else in life.
I would never do well with a person like that-throwing a false accusation my way.

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cheffer,

Outstanding find, yours looks a lot better than the examples on the web site that you posted. You have my banner vote. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice !!

T L Kott

Sep 20, 2021
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Considering my options at this time...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You do not have to defend yourself to anyone. In fact, if someone were to accuse me like that I would sue them for defamation. Don't be on the defense; Go on the offense. When they have to pay all your legal fees and a hefty fine; this huge hit in their pocketbook will definitely make them think thrice about opening their mouth in haste, and error.

GWash

Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You do not have to defend yourself to anyone. In fact, if someone were to accuse me like that I would sue them for defamation. Don't be on the defense; Go on the offense. When they have to pay all your legal fees and a hefty fine; this huge hit in their pocketbook will definitely make them think thrice about opening their mouth in haste, and error.
Is that good advice for a digger looking for pennies with his metal detector to hire a lawyer? Would he be paying the other guy if he loses his liability suit? Common sense is not so common.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread