[BANNER] Mass Silver Surprise - 1652 Pine Tree Three-Pence!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree255Likes

Thread: Mass Silver Surprise - 1652 Pine Tree Three-Pence!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mass Silver Surprise - 1652 Pine Tree Three-Pence!

I found my first Mass Silver back in 2006, an Oak Tree shilling beauty (my avatar). Two more coins followed - a cut piece from another shilling and an Oak Tree two-pence sadly holed. Last weekend, I pulled my fourth coin, a 1652 Pine Tree three-pence from a farm field, and this coin had thankfully been lost before suffering any awful disfigurement. I had pulled a few musket balls, a lead disc and other lead fragments, an ox shoe, and a thick piece of brass of obvious age over the course of a 3+ hour hunt. I observed lots of surface finds where I started at the far end of the field - black glass, brick, mortar with clam shell filler, stoneware, and clay pipe stems.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5020792.JPG 
Views:	788 
Size:	652.0 KB 
ID:	1922850

I was approaching the end of my morning hunt and figured that a few hours out on a sunny morning was the most I could expect from my trip, but then my Deus hit upon a strong, solid, medium-toned signal. It was only a few inches deep and looked at first to be a button, but then I saw the telltale beaded ring and tree along with the faint dating on the reverse side — Mass Silver!

Name:	P4240629.JPG 
Views:	561 
Size:	613.5 KB 
ID:	1922837 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4240658.JPG 
Views:	482 
Size:	651.0 KB 
ID:	1922838

The coin was exceedingly dark from heavy oxidation and required 3-4 electrolysis cooks each lasting a minute or so to treat. I'm unlikely to push it any further — better to leave well enough alone.

Name:	P4240704.JPG 
Views:	469 
Size:	604.9 KB 
ID:	1922840 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4240702.JPG 
Views:	463 
Size:	597.5 KB 
ID:	1922839

Name:	P4300755.JPG 
Views:	495 
Size:	644.8 KB 
ID:	1922841 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4300767.JPG 
Views:	487 
Size:	650.8 KB 
ID:	1922842
    Before and after photos for results on use of electrolysis.

Some years I'm able to pull off an exceptional find, and other years it just doesn't happen. This year I got it done early!

I wish to post some add-on recoveries from last year. I delayed posting these because these early 17th century iron artifacts required a good deal of conservation work over the winter, and before and after images are needed to appreciate these finds.

Name:	PA140025 (2).JPG 
Views:	461 
Size:	588.8 KB 
ID:	1922852
    The this large ferrous concretion was quite puzzling, but electrolysis would eventually reveal its purpose.

Name:	PA140034.JPG 
Views:	444 
Size:	624.0 KB 
ID:	1922847 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA140038.JPG 
Views:	449 
Size:	622.5 KB 
ID:	1922848
    Much of the surface dirty was best removed with a toothpick.

Name:	PB250328.JPG 
Views:	444 
Size:	576.4 KB 
ID:	1922849
    Dirt all removed and ready for electrolysis.

Name:	P4300776.JPG 
Views:	448 
Size:	607.7 KB 
ID:	1922844
    Electrolysis revealed a rounded blade for a grub hoe, but there was no eyelet for a wood handle. The heal of the hoe is solid iron.

Name:	P4300768.JPG 
Views:	438 
Size:	612.4 KB 
ID:	1922843
    Two grub hoes from the same site - one English made with an eyelet for a wood handle and one Native made without a hole for a handle.

I spared no amount of effort for the best possible outcome with electrolysis followed my immersion in hot microcrystalline wax. I judged this work to be worth the effort, as these items were recovered from a Native American village in Southern New England dating back to the mid-to-late 17th century. Local tribes readily took to use of iron and brass with the earliest arrivals of the English and French. 12,000 years of using stone and other natural materials for weapons, tools, jewelry, and other implements, vanished in a generation. Evidence of metal working to repair and refashion iron and brass material shave been found by archaeologists, but these two items suggests that native blacksmiths were forging entirely new tools, knives and other products from recast iron. Their crude craftsmanship of these two recovered items, a grub hoe and a knife, suggest that they were indeed struggling and did not yet fully possess the necessary skill set, but they were certainly making progress. The native blacksmith apparently failed to work an eyelet for attaching a wood handle so the back end was filled solid
    and fitted for grasping with one hand.

No matter the end result, it was better than digging with a clam shell. Similarly, the knife is very crude with a blade tip far too thick; the blade is not tapered. It’s native construction is also seen in the use of an integral handle made of extra thick stock. An English knife would have a composite blade made of wood or bone.

Name:	P4300783.JPG 
Views:	438 
Size:	607.9 KB 
ID:	1922845

I count myself as being very fortunate to live in a part of the US that has an old and rich history. One of my past banner finds, a 1693 Arabian silver coin from Yemen, was covered by the Associated Press on April 1st, owing to the coin’s connection to Red Sea piracy, specifically the robbery of a rich Mughal ship, the Ganj-i-sawai, by pirate Henry Every in 1695. The story went out on the AP’s international wire service and received more attention than I had ever thought possible largely owing to my extensive research proving that Henry Every came to the American Colonies while being sought by the English crown as the subject of the first worldwide manhunt. April was one crazy month. It was covered by online and print media in Smithsonian Magazine, the Washington Post, papers all over the US, and overseas in England, Ireland, Italy, Saudi Arabia, Israel, China, Japan, Taiwan, New Zealand, and elsewhere. I did a half-dozen interviews in the first two days of the story making headlines and nationwide interviews in the US on NPR and in Canada on the CBC.

If interested, a Goggle search link for the media coverage is as follows:

https://www.google.com/search?q=henr...hrome&ie=UTF-8

It was the experience of a lifetime, so I wanted to share my story with everyone on T-Net, where I first posted my Red Sea pirate coin recovery way back in 2014. Back then it was the first complete coin to be found in the region. The total count for the article was at 16 silver Arabian coins found in Southern New England, and all dating no later than Henry Every’s capture of Ganj-i-Sawai off the coast of India in 1695. Detectorists account for 15 of the recovered coins, while the remaining specimen was found at an archaeological excavation of a 17th century homestead site in Connecticut. I’ve had to contend with some cynics since the story ran, and that’s no problem. I recently signed with a literary agent to co-author a book that will present all the evidence both on the coins’ unique provenance and a new history of Henry Every’s infamous voyage aboard the pirate ship Fancy The book should be out by next year.

So, I’ve got a great coin recovery on the board for 2021, and now it’s time to get writing.

Good Hunting to All,

STC — Jim Bailey
    got Mass Silver?

us
    Jun 2015
    Maryland
    Minelab Equinox 600
    12297 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (4)
    Awesome find especially considering the meager results of any other period finds

us
    Max

Aug 2016
    Upstate, NY
    Deus XP
    5810 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)
    I count myself as being very fortunate to live in a part of the US that has an old and rich history. One of my past banner finds, a 1693 Arabian silver coin from Yemen, was covered by the Associated Press on April 1st, owing to the coin’s connection to Red Sea piracy, specifically the robbery of a rich Mughal ship, the Ganj-i-sawai, by pirate Henry Every in 1695. The story went out on the AP’s international wire service and received more attention than I had ever thought possible largely owing to my extensive research proving that Henry Every came to the American Colonies while being sought by the English crown as the subject of the first worldwide manhunt. April was one crazy month. It was covered by online and print media in Smithsonian Magazine, the Washington Post, papers all over the US, and overseas in England, Ireland, Italy, Saudi Arabia, Israel, China, Japan, Taiwan, New Zealand, and elsewhere. I did a half-dozen interviews in the first two days of the story making headlines and nationwide interviews in the US on NPR and in Canada on the CBC.
    LOL, pretty much everyone who knows me has forwarded me one of the news articles about your Yemeni coin find and I keep telling them that's old news, he posted that on Treasurenet years ago!

Seriously though, an amazing find and I'm glad it's getting the worldwide attention it deserves!

Oh also, congrats on the Mass silver; that's pretty cool too.
    Last edited by paleomaxx; May 02, 2021 at 10:40 PM.
    Truth, ArfieBoy, Joe-Dirt and 3 others like this.

us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    29714 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    That’s a big white whale for 99% of us congratulations to you brother

us
    Dec 2016
    Central NJ
    Garrett ACE 350 Equinox 800
    2935 times
    Relic Hunting
    Great job, congratulations!

Apr 2021
    17 times
    Congrats on the Mass silver and on your recent notoriety with the article .

us
    Feb 2020
    Eastern Ohio
    XP Deus * Minelab E-Trac
    1678 times
    Metal Detecting
    FANTASTIC !!!
    XP Deus * 9" LF & X35 Coils * Deteknix Headphones
    Minelab E-Trac * 5" - 4.5" x 7" - Stealth X-8 Coils * Killer B + Gray Ghost Headphones

1724 - K.G. Half Penny *** 1736 - K.G. Half Penny *** 1783 - Half Real *** 1787 - Connecticut Copper
    1817 - Large Cent *** 1829 - Capped Bust Dime *** 1837 - Capped Bust Half Dime *** 1852 - Three Cent *** 1857 - Flying Eagle Cent *** 1865 - Two Cent *** 1872 - Shield Nickel *** 1877 CC - Seated Dime *** 1877 - Seated Quarter

us
    Standing Firm in the Faith, Wherever I May Roam- Nothing Else Matters

Jan 2006
    Cape Cod
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
    4756 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Fantastic find!! I'd say welcome to the Mass silver club but I see you're already a multiple time member- Big time Congrats!!
    -- Jeff --

Charter Member
    ca
    Detect everyday like it's the last day of the season!

Apr 2010
    Upper Canada
    XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
    21259 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    What a great post, congrats on your 1652 Pine Tree Three-Pence STC.
    You did an amazing job using electrolysis to bring it back to life too.
    Thanks for all the background info and pics.

I think this would make a great BANNER pic don't you think?
    My vote is in,
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ANTIQUARIAN; May 05, 2021 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Grammer
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
    Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
    Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.

― John Wayne

us
    Mar 2021
    Wilmington, NC
    Nautilus DMC-2B Minelab Equinox 800 White TRX pinpointer
    1033 times
    Awesome Saves!!! Congrats

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    86366 times
    Mega Banner !
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - HAVE PERMISSION - FILL HOLES - DISPOSE OF TRASH. The Random Chat Thread---> http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    50727 times
    Relic Hunting
    Congratulations on your #4, sweet looking for sure.
    My vote is a sure thing.
    "If it was easy-It would have already been done-Life 101."

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2015
    Morris County, NJ
    Minelab Equinox 800 XP Deus
    2417 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Awesome finds Jim, thank you for sharing these - and for sharing the Yemeni coin / pirate story way back on TNet.
    And just like paleomaxx I had at least 3 friends send me the AP story from last month about your find and the history you were able to discover.

Sending you a private message with a question, Jim.
    Thanks for posting and good luck on another banner!

Brian

us
    Anthony

May 2013
    City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
    Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
    7604 times
    Killer man...

us
    Jul 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fisher F75, XP Deus, Fisher 1270
    12022 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Congrats on your fourth silver tree
    Spanish Silver Totals
    Cut Pieces = 20
    Half Reals = 32
    1 Reals = 11
    2 Reales = 6
    8 Reales = 1
    2 Reale Cobs = 2
    Other Early Silver Coins
    1797 & 1803 Draped Bust Dimes
    1830 Capped Bust 5 cents
    1827 Capped Bust dime
    1661 Hammered silver King Leopold
    1697 William III 6-pence
    Rev War Buttons
    3rd Battalion PA, Hartley's Regiment, USA, (4) 18th Royal Irish, (2) Rattlesnake & Stars
    Civil War Plates
    VA Militia Cross Belt, CS Tongue, CS Wreath, VMM, US Box, Model 1851 Sword, Militia Plate w/Star

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links