🥇 BANNER A beautiful 1746 colonial silver spur and a few other finds

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was able to finally get out and make some good finds from an old plantation landing by working the mud flats and shallows. My best find was a hallmarked solid silver spur that was made in London in 1746 according to the hallmark research.
I have searched for a match to the silversmith’s initials “WC” but haven’t found one yet. Any ID help would be appreciated! Also found a half reale and a few buttons.
6C31B4FD-1777-49E6-B2FB-27C24C8C1D2F.jpeg 68B19170-C4EA-4FC7-A003-1A3C5CABFCD2.jpeg E0347553-1412-42EB-BD0B-F8286EA13D44.jpeg 765D0BF3-CA04-4260-B387-089AEE1BEDF6.jpeg 095F0FA5-7C3D-449E-BA57-EEC11F68A131.jpeg C42C9FF5-A33B-4278-8C64-08AC3BE43D88.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 94

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well tht's pretty nifty! I don't ever recall seeing a silver colonial spur posted on this site...or anywhere for that matter.... BANNER!!!!
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-finished-16th-17th-c-silver-spur-buckle.html
Cru'dad got one, more complete than I remembered. I found it tough to date because the buckle seemed to be of an earlier style. The British Museum struggled a little as well & thought it late 17th-early 18th C.
I get what your saying though, Cru'dad's is not colonial which has far more historical significance.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOOO worthy of Banner!! Awesome piece! Nicely found :occasion14:

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm replying again because I was so fixated on the Silver spur that the Capped Bust Half Dime and Half Reale got by me. Awesome coin finds!! Congrats

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now THAT is cool! Congratulations on the banner, looks awesome up there!

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's beautiful!!!! Congratulations

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are on a roll my friend, from silver flintlock finishings and now, a silver spur. . . an incredible recovery:notworthy:
Thank you Watercolor for your reply! Yes, I got lucky again with silver!

Big congrats!!
. Thanks and happy hunting!

SC Keith,

My banner recommendation is in, Wow, just Wow, definitely a once in a lifetime find. We see see gold coins, coin spills, rings, and buckles on the banner but I have never seen a hall-marked silver spur. Great job, looking forward to hearing more about the find. Good luck with your hunts. Walt
Thanks WG2020! I have always wanted to find a complete spur and until this one I has only a few broken pieces.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-finished-16th-17th-c-silver-spur-buckle.html
Cru'dad got one, more complete than I remembered. I found it tough to date because the buckle seemed to be of an earlier style. The British Museum struggled a little as well & thought it late 17th-early 18th C.
I get what your saying though, Cru'dad's is not colonial which has far more historical significance.[/QUOTE

Thanks Crusader for the nice comments. The Cru-dad spur is quite early and an amazing find. You guys are making awesome discoveries over there and congrats on your banner!

SOOO worthy of Banner!! Awesome piece! Nicely found :occasion14:
Thanks Diggin Dude for the nice comments. I always wanted a complete spur and was amazed this one was silver. I expected brass not silver!

A truly amazing find and very much worthy of the banner!
Thank you Lost Signal! I know you will be on the banner train soon with the amazing tag!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on achieving BANNER #5 Keith! :occasion14:
I would've been happy just finding any of those silvers or flat buttons, but that silver spur is truly an incredible find.

Dave

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
A well deserved banner! Never though spurs were made of silver... Excellent find!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A silver spur! Wow! Great find, and great hunt my friend. And you didn't even mention the Capped Bust half Dime!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner.

Best found spur i have ever seen.

Don't think anyone will top this one.

Crazy killer hit... well done and then some.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a "pass back" through the thread... i have to wonder again what i wondered the first time round...

are you sure about the first letter being a "W" ?

I tried to zoom in but cannot make that out for myself.

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On a "pass back" through the thread... i have to wonder again what i wondered the first time round...

are you sure about the first letter being a "W" ?

I tried to zoom in but cannot make that out for myself.
Not 100% sure at all. First thought was maybe even an H. Then I looked at second letter being a G. Saw a somewhat close mark for a William Grundy around that time. I found it interesting there were so many London silversmiths during this time. So all marks confirmed except maker. Maybe I could Qtip it again to try for detail.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not 100% sure at all. First thought was maybe even an H. Then I looked at second letter being a G. Saw a somewhat close mark for a William Grundy around that time. I found it interesting there were so many London silversmiths during this time. So all marks confirmed except maker. Maybe I could Qtip it again to try for detail.

Yeah i was leaning more towards an "H" as well... the old world script was hard enough to read... let alone when a semi pressed makers mark. heh

PErhaps a slight clean with a Q-tip and another good close ups and we can pin this one down.

I for one am very interested. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread