🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been able to hunt for 6-8 weeks due to moving and working 6 days a week. Well, today was no different, still working on getting settled and getting the place cleaned up. Today's task was demolishing an old out building that was used to raise quail.
After removing the roof and all the siding, it was time to take up the plywood from the floor. One corner had pieces of plywood already loose and rotten. Under the plywood there was dirt between the joists, I stepped on the dirt in the one corner and it caved in about 5-6 inches. My wife and I thought the plywood had rotted and was covered by the dirt because the dirt moved in all directions when you pushed on the dirt.

I didn't give it much thought and continued to rip up the rest of the floor. I went back the spot where I had sunk in and was going to dig out what I thought was some of the flooring.
Here's where the fun started. I started wiping the dirt back and saw the edge of a piece of metal. I thought, ducting, or he had reinforced that corner for some reason. I took my prybar and starting to dig whatever this was out of the dirt.
Within a minute I realized I was digging up an aluminum box because the first thing I saw was a handle. I'm getting real excited now, I'm thinking it was loaded with cash. Get it out and have to force the lid up because I had smashed it down when I stepped on it. I open it and .....empty, damn it!! I called the wife over to take a look, the bottom is cover in dirt and mud and she see's a round thing and say's" hey it's coin.

It was stuck to the bottom and dirty, as soon as I got it loose, I saw it was silver!!! Happy days, haven't seen a silver coin in a long time. I start moving the muck around and find another and another, holy moly, multiple silver day baby!!
I take it over to the faucet and start cleaning it out and there's more coins stuck to the bottom. I'm on cloud nine right now, but, I sure was hoping to see some gold!!! After cleaning the box, I found 15 silver coins total, not a bad day in my book. Nothing old, but, silver is silver.
I've read story's like this and always wanted to find a stash.

It's not a hoard, but, it sure was exciting. I'm keeping the box as a souvenir. The building was visible from all the windows on the back of the house, just like Karl Von Mueller wrote about. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 2 coins.jpg
    2 coins.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 2 coin.jpg
    2 coin.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 108
  • fresh dug.jpg
    fresh dug.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 5 coins.jpg
    5 coins.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 106
  • hand full of coins.jpg
    hand full of coins.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 148
  • all coins.jpg
    all coins.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 222
Upvote 59

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think it's likely that there are other hidden jars or boxes of money around there. Keep looking for more!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
That rocks, big time, nice find and thanks for posting!

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome!!!! Congrats!!

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1925 - 1964. Mostly 1960's. Really cool and awesome find on your new property. It's like the heavens are telling you, "Welcome Home"!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
awesome find. cool story, thanks for posting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread