[BANNER] My smallest point and largest point in the same day -Epic too small a term
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree369Likes

Thread: My smallest point and largest point in the same day -Epic too small a term

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel
    37374 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (9)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

My smallest point and largest point in the same day -Epic too small a term

I drove to one of my far away places yesterday, I was trying to get there between rain storms as the corn is just starting to come in.

Place #1 was inaccessible as the creek was flooding. I was hoping the flooding would have subsided but it didn't. So...I went to Place #2 on the same farm, you have to cross the railroad tracks, then go down a 3/4 mile lane/dirt path/ car and truck eating swamp thingie.

Well, I called the owner from the high side of the field, there is a small place there you can pull off a car. He said it would not be wise to try it. A couple had been down there in their jacked up 4x4 pickup and got stuck. So I used the detector as cane #1 and shovel as cane #2 and started down the path, looking on each side for artifacts. Found zip. Got to the bottom and went over the known "good" spots. all I found down there was a broken net sinker. Bummer. I wasn't even finding any flakes. I found some fire cracked rocks, but not enough to concentrate on, PLUS every time I took a step it was like sink down 6" in the dark mud.

You couldn't really grid this field, it was too wet. So I started meandering back to the truck. I finally started finding a few flakes. The ONLY material found there, with the exception of one Flint Ridge, Ohio flake from a couple years ago is the Onondaga Chert, out of NY which is like 5 miles away.

Moving toward the driveway (mud puddle road thingie), calling it a road insults all other roads in the nation, I spy something thin poking out of the dirt. I snagged it and found the smallest arrowhead I have ever found. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2895.JPG 
Views:	537 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	1928733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2896.JPG 
Views:	513 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	1928734 This is absolutely the smallest, complete point I have ever found. I washed it off a bit in a mud puddle and realized the material is different than the normal lithic material from this spot, but couldn't ID it at that time.

It is just over 1/2" long, is PERFECT and I was holding it between my fingers last night it punctured my little finger! Sharp as a razor after all these centuries! Wow! And it is nearly transparent. I'm having a problem getting a picture but light shines right through it. Here's my best try. The dark veins are still attached dirt. I haven't scrubbed it, I rarely "scrub" artifacts. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2902.JPG 
Views:	516 
Size:	902.5 KB 
ID:	1928742

So, I safely put it in the side pouch, at least I found SOMETHING. I then crossed over the one glacial pond, scoured out by the last glacier to hit the area and started grubbing on the other side of the imaginary road. One horrid step at a time with the mud trying to suck me down down down. I spied a few more flakes, no tools. There were, again some fire cracked rocks, but not many.

A few more steps and I saw another razor edge of rock of a lighter color sticking out of the ground. I went to retrieve it, slop slop slurp of the mud, and pull out a monster! I took it over to the mudpuddle and washed it a bit and freaked! First, it's an archaic dovetail and after I got more dirt off of it, it is also made of Flint Ridge, Ohio flint! No doubt on this one! It is almost 6" long and NO DAMAGE! Now how the points on this farm have survived, I have no idea but it may be because the floods there move them in and out of the plow range over time and they only appear in the plowable zone every once in awhile. Flint Ridge is 400 miles away! I know the material was highly traded. I found an Adena blade near where I live when I was maybe 18, but none of the material since then till yesterday, of course with the exception of the Flint Ridge materials I have found at Flint Ridge itself - duh.

Definitely once in a lifetime hunt! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2894.JPG 
Views:	734 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	1928740Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2899.JPG 
Views:	735 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	1928741

And as an afterthought, the mud was so bad truck would not let me in it until I got some of so I used two Cokes to rinse off my shoes to some extent. It's pretty hard for an old "mudder" like me to do this, the wash this am included my shoes -yeah, to haul myself through a mud pit anymore.

Make sure to zoom in on the points to check them out better. I suppose if you drove a total of 400 miles, round trip, these two make it worth while.

Here are the rest of the flakes, a few cores and what may or not be part of a broken banner stone. I don't think so, but...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2916.JPG 
Views:	489 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	1928802Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2917.JPG 
Views:	462 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	1928803 And a hammerstone. Perfect hand size and lots of pecking done on the one end. The upper side is hand polished due to use. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2918.JPG 
Views:	472 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	1928805
    Last edited by smokeythecat; May 30, 2021 at 07:11 PM.

us
    Jul 2020
    Northern New Mexico
    59 times
    Beauties!

us
    Jan 2019
    SC Lowcountry
    Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
    1533 times
    Metal Detecting
    Congratulations, beautiful points.

us
    Apr 2018
    NW Missouri
    Minelab Equinox 800
    1527 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Banner. That dovetail is a find everyone dreams of!
    2021 GOALS

Silver Items: 24 / 100 ( 22 coins, 2 jewelry )
    Gold Items: 0 / 5 (0 jewelry, 0 nuggets )

2021 BUCKET LIST

• Barber Dime 4 / 1
    • Standing Liberty Quarter 1 / 1
    • Silver Trime 0/1
    • Gold Coin 0 / 1

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    4376 times
    Jump up & down in the mud kind of gorgeous points. Congrats!

First use of coca-cola as boot cleaner on t-net?

I think the two together when the second is that dovetail, with the descriptive story, is worthy of banner nomination.
    Last edited by Megalodon; May 30, 2021 at 11:33 AM.
    "Rage, rage against the dying of the light...Do not go gentle into that good night" - Dylan Thomas

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    50821 times
    Relic Hunting
    EPIC HUNT!
    Congratulations Smokey on the smallest and the beautiful monster.
    Certainly a hunt to be remembered for many moons.
    "If it was easy-It would have already been done-Life 101."

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    37374 times
    Banner Finds (9)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Thanks all. I realized after looking at them on the net I sure couldn't afford the big one! Now I want to go back. I have been there about 12 times. Maybe a couple more than that. I started I think 2019, also did a couple trips last year and now three this year. It's a long haul.
    Fat, billb, PetesPockets55 and 3 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    37374 times
    Banner Finds (9)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I did get some tools and broken points last week. I'll have to post them but nothing like this.
    Fat, billb, PetesPockets55 and 2 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    33062 times
    A hunt to make hunting (even prior) worthwhile.
    Congrats.
    Both are stunners!

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    37374 times
    Banner Finds (9)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    These two get put in the safe deposit box. I don't think it will be possible at my age to find a smaller one or a bigger one! Will get pics of other misc. stuff soon. Still mud to clean up.

This is probably or may be either a celt or simply a chopping tool. There are 14 large flakes removed from the one end. Just over 1" thick and fits nicely in your hand.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2904.JPG 
Views:	351 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	1928746 Small things, broken net sinker and broken point. The point is made of the Onondaga Chert.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2906.JPG 
Views:	341 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	1928747Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2907.JPG 
Views:	329 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	1928748

The last pic is the side of a highly worked flake, made into a tool. There are dozens of tiny flakes taken off the side of it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2914.JPG 
Views:	342 
Size:	925.3 KB 
ID:	1928749

I have dozens of flakes from the other day and yesterday. I'll have to see where I "stuck" the other broken point. Probably right in front of me on my stand.
    Last edited by smokeythecat; May 30, 2021 at 12:41 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    5692 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    That dovetail is awesome! That’s the kind of a find that makes you keep looking at it on the way home.
    smokeythecat, Fat, billb and 3 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    37374 times
    Banner Finds (9)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    GaRebel1861, yeah, I tried that with both. The "you're going to die fool!" traffic lane warning device on the truck yelled at me a few times. Ok, more than a few.

us
    Bill B

Sep 2010
    Upstate NY
    Excalibur2,,silver sabre
    2253 times
    Congratulations on your major once in a lifetime achievement Voting Banner

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    5692 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Banner vote just now submitted.
    smokeythecat, Fat, billb and 2 others like this.

us
    Jun 2011
    Oklahoma
    White's XLT
    6265 times
    Awesome is too small a term. Congrats!!
    smokeythecat, Fat, billb and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links