JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moe (fl) and I headed over to the Matanzas Inlet area today and were getting target hits like crazy. The sand is pretty washed out and seems to have left lots of stuff near the surface for us.

mat1.jpg

As you can see, a banner day for finding iron. There is some stuff here that is obviously modern, but some that we are not so sure of.

mat2blade.jpg

Moe (fl) is thinking this might be an axe blade. It sure looks like one, but it seems an unlikely place to find one. It is also thin, not very heavy. I'm going to see what happens when I clean it up a bit.

mat3zinc.jpg

Originally thought this piece was lead, but it doesn't scratch. It seems more like zinc, since it is weighty, but is hard. It is fairly pourous like I remember the sacrificial zinc on boat outdrives.

mat4coins.jpg

I was really surprised to find any coins in this area, since it seems relatively deserted all the time. There are a couple of dimes that are too dark to date, a once over in the sonic cleaner might spruce them up enough to see if they are silver. One of the pennies is so thin I think I could bend it in my fingers.

mat5hot.jpg

These are some hot rocks. The PI Pro usually ignores these pretty well, but these were setting it off today.

mat6earring.jpg

Found this hoop right at the point where the waves are eroding the sand near the dunes.

Spent the afternoon at the main branch of the St. Augustine library. They said they have some old maps at the Southeast branch, which is actually closer to my house. I went through all the Florida / St. Augustine history books to find some spots on the river to go diving, but didn't find any golden nuggets of information today unfortunately.

Thanks for looking!

Jack

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread