194.2 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 18

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, there are lots of interesting 'quirks' about the way our coins have been designed. Both the 20p and the larger 50p are on equilaterally curved heptagonal flans. That helps the 'hard of seeing' to distinguish them from other coins and the combination of curvature with the seven sides 'normalises' the diameter to assist acceptance in vending machines.

One other thing not recognised by many is that our current seemingly 'lop-sided' coin designs have been mapped on the Royal coat of arms, which is apparent if you arrange them all in this manner (picture: copyright of Royal Mint):

Decimal Coins.jpg

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
That coin looks like a digger and was cleaned up. I dug one just like it and looks very similar.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CM You are doing well at the coinstars.that’s a great recovery..congratulations

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a neat coin!

willie

Sep 18, 2007
Are you up to date on the requirements for metal detecting in England ? I have a deposit for a 10 day detecting trip in September but am very concerned about being able to make it due to the UK entry requirements. Any constructive comments on this would be most welcome.
Thanks,
Willie

OP
OP
Coinstar magnet

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Willie,
I recall anything found 300 years old needs to be reported to the proper authorities...but I am out of my depth on this subject. I am sure Crusader or Red-coat could fill you in on what the regulations are...if it's ok to suggest them...
I'm thinking of going in September but am waiting to see if things open up...

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you up to date on the requirements for metal detecting in England ? I have a deposit for a 10 day detecting trip in September but am very concerned about being able to make it due to the UK entry requirements. Any constructive comments on this would be most welcome.
Thanks,
Willie

Hi Willie,
I recall anything found 300 years old needs to be reported to the proper authorities...but I am out of my depth on this subject. I am sure Crusader or Red-coat could fill you in on what the regulations are...if it's ok to suggest them...
I'm thinking of going in September but am waiting to see if things open up...

Hi both.

I expect that ‘Crusader’ may well have some sound advice if he sees this and he’s not too busy digging up spectacular finds. However, it’s quite a big question you’re asking, for which the answer(s) very much depend on exactly what you have in mind and where you are expecting to hunt. There are also distinctions to be made between ‘modern’ and ‘old’ items and/or between valuable and non-valuable items in terms of what you can (or should) do with the items you found. I can provide some pointers (but circumstances will vary). Might I suggest that your question really deserves its own thread rather than being tacked onto the end of this one, and so I have started a new thread at the link below on your behalf:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...965-visiting-uk-metal-detect.html#post6771542

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread