New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell, looks like your horse might be a dolfin? Maybe a sea horse? Just joking with you Charlie, the first picture is out of focus.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your recovery..try to get back there again ..good luck

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't see the horse. I think you have a 1780s/90s dandy button there.

OP
OP
Eastcoasthunter21

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks treble dolphins �� ugh lol

Steve thanks for the info
Hh folks

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We date dandy buttons from 1750-80.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We date dandy buttons from 1750-80.
The 1750s/60s sites in my area were primarily French & Indian War But sites, and they don't give up Dandy buttons. Tombacs, blowholes and octagonal cufflinks come out of these sites. This may be due to the military nature of these places. But the Dandy buttons are common on sites that were first active in the 1780s/90s. I know your dating comes from period portraits. I have one site that was active from 1758 to about 1790 and saw use from civilians and military during this time frame as it was along a major road to Fort Pitt. All the coins were Spanish silver (only one portrait style) and lots of KG I and KG II, but only one KG III. Over 60 coins and at least as many buttons from this site, but not one Dandy :dontknow:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1750s/60s sites in my area were primarily French & Indian War But sites, and they don't give up Dandy buttons. Tombacs, blowholes and octagonal cufflinks come out of these sites. This may be due to the military nature of these places. But the Dandy buttons are common on sites that were first active in the 1780s/90s. I know your dating comes from period portraits. I have one site that was active from 1758 to about 1790 and saw use from civilians and military during this time frame as it was along a major road to Fort Pitt. All the coins were Spanish silver (only one portrait style) and lots of KG I and KG II, but only one KG III. Over 60 coins and at least as many buttons from this site, but not one Dandy :dontknow:
Easily explained. Think how long it takes fashion to travel. (Bear in mine these are higher society buttons, not your working class)
They are manufactured in England in 1750-80 & turn up on your sites later.
I can only tell you when they were made not when they were lost, the same principle as a coin (although wear on the coin helps a little).

I'll throw out a theory - as they became less fashionably in England, less people would wear them, prices would go down, surplus would be sold off & those wearing them in the colonies at a cheaper price would still be the height of fashion. (as far as that market knew)
We used to have modern day delay in fashion from the US to England, took a couple of years.

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easily explained. Think how long it takes fashion to travel. (Bear in mine these are higher society buttons, not your working class)
They are manufactured in England in 1750-80 & turn up on your sites later.
I can only tell you when they were made not when they were lost, the same principle as a coin (although wear on the coin helps a little).

I'll throw out a theory - as they became less fashionably in England, less people would wear them, prices would go down, surplus would be sold off & those wearing them in the colonies at a cheaper price would still be the height of fashion. (as far as that market knew)
We used to have modern day delay in fashion from the US to England, took a couple of years.
That is a reasonable theory.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions