Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. Back in June I was posting about the field that had http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/655884-sidewalk-nowhere-except-good-coins.html.

That field has continued to be absolutely amazing from a silver coin recovery point of view. Today was a continuation of the silver-finding streak.

Since my afternoon was quiet at work I reached out to a buddy here in town who has Friday's off and asked him to join me at this field. We both used our Equinox 800's (which might be why we were finding silver coins in areas that I had passed through once with the XP Deus).
In a previous post I mentioned that http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/656198-i-found-where-sidewalk-leads.html and at first we detected in the area of the picnic tables, but my buddy quickly got a tick on him - and neither of us found anything good - so we went back out into the field near the Sidewalk. He worked the uphill side and I worked the downhill side.

He hit silver first, finding a silver Washington quarter after only a few minutes in the field. He was hooked on this field and right away said, "I haven't found silver in months - thanks for bringing me here!" I was super happy to see him break the silver drought and could have left happy then - but instead we both stayed another 2 hours or so, and I'm glad we did.
My buddy ended the day with 5 silver (2 quarters, a merc and two rosie dimes - i'll update with a picture when he sends it to me).

My first silver was a Merc of my own (1939), but the find of the day came about 30 minutes later: the 1942 Walking Half Dollar. That thing is in amazing shape, with only minor wear on the eagle's chest and on the stars at 11 o'clock on the obverse. To me it's a true treasure (even though I know now that 47 million were minted...so they aren't scarce).
I ended the day with silver coins from 1939, 1940, 1941 and 1942 - and I love the "orderly" nature of that sequence.

But another cool find came halfway through the hunt: the little silver ring with a green stone. It says "Sterling" on the inside and it turns out it's a Kiddiegem (Kiddie Gem). I read other TNet posts on this brand of ring, and I'm super happy that I've now found one!

With all the coins found (nine wheat pennies vs. only four memorials, plus the silver of course) it's easy to forget about the harmonica reed, but I've never found a complete one like that, so that was cool to me also.

I still can't believe how great the finds are from this field - and I hope they keep coming! (I kind of think that my buddy will now start going there without telling me and will clean the place out...but that's the way this hobby works, isn't it?)

Thanks for reading my story!

- Brian

J6fuFfQ.jpg
QXlTqRM.jpg DgjdqKx.jpg

vqQ17An.jpg MCurYLy.jpg
NF5fJOg.jpg

Upvote 40

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice walker! During the war everyone was working and had money. Nothing to spend it on as everything was rationed. Many halves found on this forum are from the war years, '42-'45. Gary

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
The '42 Walker is a beautiful coin. Congratulations on the find. '42 is my birth year. I had to buy one.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the half and the other silvers, a really good day digging in the dirt.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds and nice post! I'm a big numbers person as well and enjoyed that sequence of dates you found. I once found, in order at a new site, 1883, 1875, 1881 Indians- it only stood to reason that the next one would be a 77- nope, another 81. Continued good luck to you..

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it's the sidewalk to the silver bank now! :icon_thumright:

Sandcrab

Jun 14, 2021
Oceanside CA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Coiltek 10x5 and 15, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WTG! Nice looking silver. The Walker is gorgeous. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for the kind words!
It turns out my buddy Pat found six silvers of his own - he had a great day too! Here is a picture of his silver finds.

What a field!
IMG_2455.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread