Dfx and The cemetery Woods

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hi guys, got out last night and tonight for about a total of 4 hrs of hunting. I found this cemetery that is surrounded by alot of woods. I'm always looking for new places to add to the list of sites to hunt. The good part about this cemetery is you don't have to be seen. No one cares if your in the woods. I don't hunt cemeteries otherwise. To touchy of a place to hunt unless there abandoned.

The thing I keep in mind is that I may not get to hit the best and obvious places in the cemetery but over 200yrs someone has traveled the woods. I may be on to something we'll see I guess. Things are relatively slow at these spots. You always have targets to dig but most are bullets. But when you find a coin it is 100 150 yrs old. I'd rather find one coin every half an hr with relics than search for the new stuff. I can always search for new stuff. It's being able to make consistent old finds is the challenge for me.

This isn't a great haul but I'll take these finds any day. This is what I usually come up with. Alot of Indians and v nickles. The site hasn't given me up any silver yet. But I'm right on it's trail.

Attachments

• Dfx And the cemetary woods 1.jpg
    Dfx And the cemetary woods 1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 528
  • Dfx And the cemetary woods.jpg
    Dfx And the cemetary woods.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 521
  • Dfx And the cemetary woods 2.jpg
    Dfx And the cemetary woods 2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 517
Upvote 0
M

mattjd

Sweet gun! I found the same exact one of those exept it was just the barrel so I threw it away. You seem to find a lot of those RR tokens everywhere. Was there a church close to the cemetery? If you didn't see one look for some remains of one and detect around it. Mabee you'll get some silver there.? ?
And is there a road/dirt road leading to the cemetery? Nice nickels too! Matt

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
Very nice finds! Looks like a great area! Im with ya when you say youd rather spend more time to find an old coin than go look for new stuff. Good luck on your next venture, looks like the first was Exciting! :o

K

Kentucky Kache

Nice finds. I agree, I would take a find like that every day.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
hey jerdfx......what part of the country are you hunting in? i ask because it is very unusual to find an item with a swasticka on it in the states.they are some very interesting finds. thanks for posting them.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Have to take my hat off to you, Jer... That's a lot of dig'n. What a way to clear out a site...
Lots of neat, and interesting finds there, love that little butterfly...
Dig'n a site like that would be a lot better than dig'n all the pull-tabs, aluminium cans, and just every day junk from the city...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

C

cbbrink

Nice finds. I have been thinking about hitting an old cemetary behind the church that I goto. The last person was burried there around 1900. Might be worth it.

Chuck

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot guys, Sorry it took so long to reply. I was writing one earlier today and a transformer blew up outside. So I was out of electric for awile. I don't know where to start after 9 replies. I'll do my best.

I live in pittsburgh p.a a old city. That swastika valve was kind of weird. The blue stone I eyeballed talk about good vision. It washed up in the woods. I think it's synthetic but was still ?cool to find it. I thought it was a ?goodie. Searched around for the ring but no luck. ?

I hit sites really hard that's why I have alot of what's it's. I don't leave anything behind. If it beeps I dig. That's the only way to get it all. Sure with my skill and knowledge of my machine I know when I got a pulltab but I dig it anyways. You'd be surprised what turns up. I have found gold rings 100 yrs old on the surface with about 30 or 40 pulltabs just all scattered around it.

You just never know. The more experience you have and the better you know your unit the more you will find. You have to make alot of odd finds to gain experience. I have found some really great stuff digging foil and nail signals.

Thanks again for all the support you guys give me here. I enjoy sharing my finds with the rest of you guys.

Good Luck Jeremy

N

NC Barefoot2

Jeremy, You really made a nice haul. Thanks for the tips you posted also. The rule of thumb is to "Just Dig It" if I understand you correctly! Congrats and may you find many more.

NC Barefoot2

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks N.C, you got it. If it beeps just dig it. That's how you learn. The more you learn the more you find. There's so many different objects in the ground made up of so many different compositions that you have to consistently find them to know that they can read funny.

Like the other vets in here that know the difference between a bullet in the ground and a coin before they even dig. As soon as you get lazy though and rely on the machine 100% that is when you miss that gold ring. Always dig it even if you just dug 20 tabs in a row. The twenty first just may be that gold ring. It's happened to me more than once. I would think I was in pulltab heaven and all the sudden after not finding anything I go to dig one more tab and out pops a gold wedding band. They always come when you least expect them to.

Hope these little tips help some of the newer guys out there just joining the hobby.

Good luck to all Jer

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
you must have some strong legs and knees jerdfx!! around here that would amount to A LOT of diggin!! you are right though. iron and pulltab signals can be decieving from time to time.nice digs!!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As always, great advice, Jer. I'm one of those "lazy" people. I don't dig any iron signals. Are you saying I should start?

Have any coins that you've dug ever been in the iron range? I just read someone that a deep coin could read as iron. Is that true??

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hi guys, I would dig iron hits in places that have produced good stuff in the past. Alot of the times when a Indian is 7 inches deep or so they will make a funny crackle like a nail. I have also found alot of old coins mixed in the hole with nails. You just never know. I dug a 1869 Indian and a 1868 shield nickle in the same hole that was deep and reading funny. I have also found really small gold rings to read in the negatives and hit really low numbers like plus 2 and 3.

My best advice would be if you have a good spot and can pinpoint the target just dig it. Alot of deep coins on edge or standing straight up will read like nails. Also multiple coins in the same hole will send a funny signal also. Don't assume if the machine says junk it's junk. Targets don't have to be deep to be old either. Found many 100 yr old coins on the surface to just a half of inch deep.

As far as strength goes I'm 23 and as strong as a house. I don't even take breaks while out in the field. Good thing I am young and can do all the walking swinging and digging. One day I will slow down. But for now I'm at full speed. Any questions you guys got feal free just to drop me a line. If I can help others it makes me feal good knowing I may be teaching someone something to help them recover more good stuff.

Good luck Thanks again Jer

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks wayne, There will be alot more to come hopefully. Glad you enjoy the stories. I take a good bit of time to write them up for you guys.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions