Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finds from two different hunts. I have a bad habit of calling everything "colonial" right on up to the 1820's and 30's. Some of this stuff might not really be colonial but it is a grab bag.

I'm wondering if anyone can date the axe head. It was found at the site with the KG3 and I'd be curious to know if it's as early as those finds. Also, I'd love to know what the small threaded knob came from. It looks familiar, but I can't place it.

permission1group.jpg
permission1closeups.jpg
axe.jpg

creekgrouping.jpg
Discovered a maker's mark on these shoe buckle innards. Can't find any info on the name. Looks like "Simcox."
creekcloseups.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Upvote 24

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I am no axe expert, but I have seen that style found on 1750s to 1780s sites. It's 18th century for sure.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The drawer pull is late 18th C as well.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds indeed. Im guessing the threaded piece is an ox knob but may be wrong. As far as the axe goes its at least 18th c. but may be older. I think I see a Jesuit cross stamped in it just above the arched part of the blade. Could verry well be late 1600s at the oldest.

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. I am no axe expert, but I have seen that style found on 1750s to 1780s sites. It's 18th century for sure.
Thanks, Steve. That's what I was hoping. I think I'll clean it up a bit and maybe try an electrolysis bath.

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds indeed. Im guessing the threaded piece is an ox knob but may be wrong. As far as the axe goes its at least 18th c. but may be older. I think I see a Jesuit cross stamped in it just above the arched part of the blade. Could verry well be late 1600s at the oldest.
Thanks for the feedback. I should have included a scale in my photo of the knob. It's smaller than it looks in the photo. It is shaped like an ox knob, but small. Maybe part of a lantern?
I have to tell you, you got my adrenaline going with the comment about the Jesuit cross. Sadly, it was just a trick of the light. I cleaned it up some and don't see any marks. Still, a nice relic though.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds buddy, I too would consider the majority of your finds to be 'colonial' in nature. :thumbsup:

In my opinion, if you refer to something as a relic from an earlier period of history, you mean that it belonged to that period but has survived into the present. A 'colonial relic' by definition is something that was made or used a long time ago and which now survives for its historical significance.

Love this little 'colonial relic'.
Dave

Attachments

• permission1closeups-crop.jpg
    permission1closeups-crop.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 25

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread