Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. A few days ago I posted about this http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/h...er-bracelet-charms-made-british-sixpence.html (And I'm very appreciative of the Honorable Mention nominations - thank you!).
As I mentioned in that post I visited the dairy farm to return some jewelry to the owner and talk with him about the bracelet - but I also did some detecting while I was there! My friend SlateBeltDigger joined me at the farm (and also on a previous visit), and I'd invite him to add his finds to this post - he found better stuff than me, frankly.

But I found a few great items:

1. The first is an 1828 Coronet Head Large Cent (with the long narrow date). She's a beauty, but she didn't come out of the ground that way. I've included pictures of what it looked like when I first dug it (I thought it would be slick) and after it dried out (I thought it wouldn't have any detail). I worked very hard to carefully clean this one, and I'm very happy with the results.

Someone asked me about how I got the details to "pop" with contrast like they do. I know about the nose grease trick, but earlier this year I bought some "RenWax" (picture included) and I've been using that to bring out details in a way that is longer-lasting than nose grease.

2. At this point I'm not posting about every button I find, but the one I found on Sunday was an interesting one. It just says "Wellington" on the back, and from searching Treasurenet and reading posts I learned that this button is a commemorative button issued shortly after the Duke of Wellington was victorious at Waterloo (which happened in 1815). I'm not sure how long it would take one of these buttons to be lost in New Jersey, USA but I suspect this is a circa 1820 button - or 200 years old, with some cool history surrounding it.

3. In my first post about the dairy farm (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...rame-two-ihc-s-new-dairy-farm-permission.html) I mentioned a very cool colonial shoe buckle. Well on my return visit to the farm I actually found what I believe is the "chape" from a shoe buckle, although from the picture of this chape on the other shoe buckle it does not look like they're a match (Do you experts agree?). Still - a cool find!

Thanks for looking everyone.

- Brian

XxnTAqG.jpg
nK9TUcg.jpg 4yCZONN.jpg

aatt4Uy.jpg VY6H8dd.jpg

4NU56kK.jpg Pa8bDew.jpg

MZNcWhM.jpg

Upvote 20

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super Stuff! :icon_thumright:

Everyone: Is there a law AGAINST such Good Luck...?

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super Stuff! :icon_thumright:

Everyone: Is there a law AGAINST such Good Luck...?

I understand what you're saying, and I'm thankful all the time for the good fortune I've had in 2021. Every time I think "well there can't be much more to find..." I find something new and interesting.

But, in my defense: I do work hard at this, doing research, getting up at 6:30AM on weekends and sweating like crazy in the heat.

And as a side note and follow-up to posts about the sidewalk to nowhere field: I went there on Saturday and found nothing but newer pennies. I have bad days...

- Brian

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a match for the buckle.:thumbsup:

I use that wax all the time.

dfx'er

Apr 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds , the commemorative Wellington victory over Napoleon button is closer to 1815 than 1820 and a few variations are recovered from time to time , the shoe buckle is nice but the "chape" is to a sash type buckle and not to it.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I don't think those buckle pieces belong together though.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds- that LC is sweet!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread