Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I managed two hrs today after i stopped work early. It's the field we get the most roman silvers out. I had a look in my records and it was the 21 hunt there... I started at the corner and worked towards the site knowing i didn't had enough time to spend to reach the main scatter. We gridded there a lot and my plan was to get whats left in the corner. Almost immediately i got the annular brooch right on top followed with a couple rows of nothing. A bit closer to the site i got the galley Denarius. It was standing on the edge with a blurry signal and i missed it by a millimetre with the shovel. I could see the coin in the side of the hole so close it was... These galley coins are my fave roman coins and this is my first Legio II coin.
Got the broken ring some rows later, it's bronze and i got similar thin roman rings before but not sure with this one. I think 18thC.
The second silver was at the end of todays hunt, i like to get one of the girls.
Two hours to detect, NO roman bronze but two silvers, one of them roman republic dating 31BC and the other about 200 years younger...

Todays trash with a big roman nail...
42021109ai.jpg

Finds before cleaning
42023232sz.jpg

Annular brooch
42021113uy.jpg

Brooch and ring
42021114xv.jpg

Birdcage button, i hoped for napoleonic but it's a plain button.
42021115pc.jpg

The roman silver
42021111wd.jpg

42021112ac.jpg

One with an unrealistic price...
https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=4929&lot=946

Faustina
https://www.copperbark.com/collecti...junior-under-marcus-aurelius-161-175-denarius

Thanks for looking! :occasion14:

Upvote 31

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Westfront,

Congratulations on a very successful hunt, wow, two Roman silvers. The detail on the Galley coin is fantastic - officially jealous and definitely missing my time detecting in Germany. Hope the rest of your fall season is just as successful. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks more like what we call Ring Things, not an annular brooch. Some IDs of these have gone back to the Roman period but most are Medieval. Multiple uses.

1 Roman Silver an hour is an excellent result when Cru'dad & I couldn't get 1 all last month!
We have a few Mark Antony but none as nice a condition as that one, lost pretty early which is a great sign.
Keep up the good work (you know I love gridding the edges).

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt!:occasion14:
Getting two silvers in the that time and the other finds is time well spent.
Crazy high price on that bid.

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Westfront,

Congratulations on a very successful hunt, wow, two Roman silvers. The detail on the Galley coin is fantastic - officially jealous and definitely missing my time detecting in Germany. Hope the rest of your fall season is just as successful. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Thanks Walt, that was real crazy. We didn't had much success there the last two years. Last was the gold earring frag...

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks more like what we call Ring Things, not an annular brooch. Some IDs of these have gone back to the Roman period but most are Medieval. Multiple uses.

1 Roman Silver an hour is an excellent result when Cru'dad & I couldn't get 1 all last month!
We have a few Mark Antony but none as nice a condition as that one, lost pretty early which is a great sign.
Keep up the good work (you know I love gridding the edges).

I know these ring things, but this has little impressions all around on the inside and a small groove what looks like a needle rest (knowing this type of brooches not usually have a neddle rest). Makes me think brooch.
This field is the best silver field we have. I had more days with two silvers there and it's the field i got my oldest roman silver. I had 9 Denarii in 21 outings with a bronze to silver ratio of 5:1. It's the best Marc Antony i have too. Most are badly worn. Both were heavily coated with horn silver that helped to fight corrosion too.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Beautiful coin; congrats on the find !!
Don.......
[h=1]Marc Antony. Denarius. Legion II[/h]
Marc Antony. Denarius. Legionary type (32-31 BC). Patrae(?). Obv: ANT AVG III VIR R P C. Galley right. Rev: LEG II. Aquila left between two signa.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread