Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a few hours to detect yesterday morning before we had to leave. I started the next state park swimming area. This one does not get a lot of use, but frequently produced gold and silver. The water was down about 2 feet, which is not the norm because of the way the dam is set up. I was hoping that some goodies that are normally in water too deep to detect would present themselves.

I swung the ATPro for 3 hours with a few targets. All together I found 3 fishing lures, sinkers, selfie stick retainers, a single beaver tail tab, an earring back, 8 coins with a face value of $0.45, an all seeing eye pendant, 2 rings, an earring and of course aluminum foil.

Non of the jewelry is anything good. The silver colored ring looked good when it came out of the sand, but it turns out it is Brosway stainless steel. Only cost about $25 new. So not a great hunt.

1C3CE01D-B39C-4DC3-A5BC-E12921CFE369.jpeg AAD05AE6-AEB6-449A-AFAC-B286EEF83BD3.jpeg

The today I went back to finish with the ATPro. Things started out slow again and after about an hour and a half a ranger came and told me I was only allowed to detect on the beach and would have to get out of the water. I told him I had permission and had been doing this for 15 years in this particular park. He would not budge. So I turned off the detector and went to my truck to get the printed copy of my permission email from the park manager. While I was doing that he called the manager and when we got together he apologized and said I did have permission and I was ok. I told him it was not a big deal he was only trying the follow the policies he believed were correct and just doing his job. So all was good until I tried to turn the ATPro back on. The buttons did not respond. I tried pushing multiple times and tried every button and it finally came on, but the settings were wrong. So I tried to make adjustments, no response. I tried turning it off, no luck. So I opened the battery door and shut it down. Luckily I did have my Excalibur in the truck. It does a good job, but does not pick up the smaller bits as well as the ATPro.

I spent 2.5 hours with the Excalibur finishing the water and the beach. This was not a great day for finds unless you like to fish. All total I found 16 coins with a face value of $1.33, a Hotwheels car, fishing gear, sinkers, 4 tabs, a cheap kiddie ring and a few bits of foil. This park was not very good this year. I can?t complain, I had a good streak going and I didn?t get skunked.

18CA6AC3-4678-45D0-8ED5-66FC353BD939.jpeg 33BF1455-024B-4B9C-A7D5-EFF1C39A513A.jpeg

There are still some non state parks I want to do and more state parks, but these state parks are highly detected so I usually do them in late September or October when they have had a chance for more visitors to leave deposits. It works out pretty well most of the time. We will see how it goes this year.

It?s a shame about the ATPro. I really like that machine for doing the water. I?ll look into getting it repaired, but I need one to finish the water sections of some parks before they shut down for the season and sending a machine for repair can take weeks to get back, so I guess I will spend some of my golf ball money and get a new one. The repaired machine can be a spare in case I have a future breakdown. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 14

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try doing a factory reset just like you would do if switching coils. They need to recognize a new coil. Just turn it on then hold the button down until it beeps twice then put your settings back in. Maybe that will work.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!!!! That's My kind of fishing:) Congrats!!!

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a few hours to detect yesterday morning before we had to leave. I started the next state park swimming area. This one does not get a lot of use, but frequently produced gold and silver. The water was down about 2 feet, which is not the norm because of the way the dam is set up. I was hoping that some goodies that are normally in water too deep to detect would present themselves.

I swung the ATPro for 3 hours with a few targets. All together I found 3 fishing lures, sinkers, selfie stick retainers, a single beaver tail tab, an earring back, 8 coins with a face value of $0.45, an all seeing eye pendant, 2 rings, an earring and of course aluminum foil.

Non of the jewelry is anything good. The silver colored ring looked good when it came out of the sand, but it turns out it is Brosway stainless steel. Only cost about $25 new. So not a great hunt.

The today I went back to finish with the ATPro. Things started out slow again and after about an hour and a half a ranger came and told me I was only allowed to detect on the beach and would have to get out of the water. I told him I had permission and had been doing this for 15 years in this particular park. He would not budge. So I turned off the detector and went to my truck to get the printed copy of my permission email from the park manager. While I was doing that he called the manager and when we got together he apologized and said I did have permission and I was ok. I told him it was not a big deal he was only trying the follow the policies he believed were correct and just doing his job. So all was good until I tried to turn the ATPro back on. The buttons did not respond. I tried pushing multiple times and tried every button and it finally came on, but the settings were wrong. So I tried to make adjustments, no response. I tried turning it off, no luck. So I opened the battery door and shut it down. Luckily I did have my Excalibur in the truck. It does a good job, but does not pick up the smaller bits as well as the ATPro.

I spent 2.5 hours with the Excalibur finishing the water and the beach. This was not a great day for finds unless you like to fish. All total I found 16 coins with a face value of $1.33, a Hotwheels car, fishing gear, sinkers, 4 tabs, a cheap kiddie ring and a few bits of foil. This park was not very good this year. I can?t complain, I had a good streak going and I didn?t get skunked.

There are still some non state parks I want to do and more state parks, but these state parks are highly detected so I usually do them in late September or October when they have had a chance for more visitors to leave deposits. It works out pretty well most of the time. We will see how it goes this year.

It?s a shame about the ATPro. I really like that machine for doing the water. I?ll look into getting it repaired, but I need one to finish the water sections of some parks before they shut down for the season and sending a machine for repair can take weeks to get back, so I guess I will spend some of my golf ball money and get a new one. The repaired machine can be a spare in case I have a future breakdown. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

sorry to hear that about your ATPro....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread