3 rings and some bad luck
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree23Likes
  • 15 Post By tnt-hunter
  • 2 Post By RichsEquinox
  • 1 Post By Back-of-the-boat
  • 1 Post By Digger RJ
  • 1 Post By Rings&bling
  • 1 Post By roy2bears
  • 1 Post By islamoradamark
  • 1 Post By against the wind

Thread: 3 rings and some bad luck

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

3 rings and some bad luck

I had a few hours to detect yesterday morning before we had to leave. I started the next state park swimming area. This one does not get a lot of use, but frequently produced gold and silver. The water was down about 2 feet, which is not the norm because of the way the dam is set up. I was hoping that some goodies that are normally in water too deep to detect would present themselves.

I swung the ATPro for 3 hours with a few targets. All together I found 3 fishing lures, sinkers, selfie stick retainers, a single beaver tail tab, an earring back, 8 coins with a face value of $0.45, an all seeing eye pendant, 2 rings, an earring and of course aluminum foil.

Non of the jewelry is anything good. The silver colored ring looked good when it came out of the sand, but it turns out it is Brosway stainless steel. Only cost about $25 new. So not a great hunt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1C3CE01D-B39C-4DC3-A5BC-E12921CFE369.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	768.8 KB 
ID:	1946581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAD05AE6-AEB6-449A-AFAC-B286EEF83BD3.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	596.0 KB 
ID:	1946582

The today I went back to finish with the ATPro. Things started out slow again and after about an hour and a half a ranger came and told me I was only allowed to detect on the beach and would have to get out of the water. I told him I had permission and had been doing this for 15 years in this particular park. He would not budge. So I turned off the detector and went to my truck to get the printed copy of my permission email from the park manager. While I was doing that he called the manager and when we got together he apologized and said I did have permission and I was ok. I told him it was not a big deal he was only trying the follow the policies he believed were correct and just doing his job. So all was good until I tried to turn the ATPro back on. The buttons did not respond. I tried pushing multiple times and tried every button and it finally came on, but the settings were wrong. So I tried to make adjustments, no response. I tried turning it off, no luck. So I opened the battery door and shut it down. Luckily I did have my Excalibur in the truck. It does a good job, but does not pick up the smaller bits as well as the ATPro.

I spent 2.5 hours with the Excalibur finishing the water and the beach. This was not a great day for finds unless you like to fish. All total I found 16 coins with a face value of $1.33, a Hotwheels car, fishing gear, sinkers, 4 tabs, a cheap kiddie ring and a few bits of foil. This park was not very good this year. I can?t complain, I had a good streak going and I didn?t get skunked.

Name:	18CA6AC3-4678-45D0-8ED5-66FC353BD939.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	656.2 KB 
ID:	1946583Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33BF1455-024B-4B9C-A7D5-EFF1C39A513A.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	657.4 KB 
ID:	1946584

There are still some non state parks I want to do and more state parks, but these state parks are highly detected so I usually do them in late September or October when they have had a chance for more visitors to leave deposits. It works out pretty well most of the time. We will see how it goes this year.

It?s a shame about the ATPro. I really like that machine for doing the water. I?ll look into getting it repaired, but I need one to finish the water sections of some parks before they shut down for the season and sending a machine for repair can take weeks to get back, so I guess I will spend some of my golf ball money and get a new one. The repaired machine can be a spare in case I have a future breakdown. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
    If you’re not digging trash you are missing treasure.

us
    Jan 2021
    Southwest Florida
    Minelab Equinox 600
    386 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Nice finds, congrats! Sorry to hear about your ATPro.
    crashbandicoot and tnt-hunter like this.

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
    5935 times
    Try doing a factory reset just like you would do if switching coils. They need to recognize a new coil. Just turn it on then hold the button down until it beeps twice then put your settings back in. Maybe that will work.
    crashbandicoot likes this.
    back of the boat

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Aug 2017
    SW Missouri/Oklahoma
    Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800
    19598 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Nice!!!!! That's My kind of fishing Congrats!!!
    tnt-hunter likes this.
    What would life be without challenges, and detecting of course.....

us
    seeker of adventure and bright, shiny things!

Nov 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
    759 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by tnt-hunter View Post
    I had a few hours to detect yesterday morning before we had to leave. I started the next state park swimming area. This one does not get a lot of use, but frequently produced gold and silver. The water was down about 2 feet, which is not the norm because of the way the dam is set up. I was hoping that some goodies that are normally in water too deep to detect would present themselves.

I swung the ATPro for 3 hours with a few targets. All together I found 3 fishing lures, sinkers, selfie stick retainers, a single beaver tail tab, an earring back, 8 coins with a face value of $0.45, an all seeing eye pendant, 2 rings, an earring and of course aluminum foil.

Non of the jewelry is anything good. The silver colored ring looked good when it came out of the sand, but it turns out it is Brosway stainless steel. Only cost about $25 new. So not a great hunt.

Name:	1C3CE01D-B39C-4DC3-A5BC-E12921CFE369.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	768.8 KB 
ID:	1946581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAD05AE6-AEB6-449A-AFAC-B286EEF83BD3.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	596.0 KB 
ID:	1946582

The today I went back to finish with the ATPro. Things started out slow again and after about an hour and a half a ranger came and told me I was only allowed to detect on the beach and would have to get out of the water. I told him I had permission and had been doing this for 15 years in this particular park. He would not budge. So I turned off the detector and went to my truck to get the printed copy of my permission email from the park manager. While I was doing that he called the manager and when we got together he apologized and said I did have permission and I was ok. I told him it was not a big deal he was only trying the follow the policies he believed were correct and just doing his job. So all was good until I tried to turn the ATPro back on. The buttons did not respond. I tried pushing multiple times and tried every button and it finally came on, but the settings were wrong. So I tried to make adjustments, no response. I tried turning it off, no luck. So I opened the battery door and shut it down. Luckily I did have my Excalibur in the truck. It does a good job, but does not pick up the smaller bits as well as the ATPro.

I spent 2.5 hours with the Excalibur finishing the water and the beach. This was not a great day for finds unless you like to fish. All total I found 16 coins with a face value of $1.33, a Hotwheels car, fishing gear, sinkers, 4 tabs, a cheap kiddie ring and a few bits of foil. This park was not very good this year. I can?t complain, I had a good streak going and I didn?t get skunked.

Name:	18CA6AC3-4678-45D0-8ED5-66FC353BD939.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	656.2 KB 
ID:	1946583Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33BF1455-024B-4B9C-A7D5-EFF1C39A513A.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	657.4 KB 
ID:	1946584

There are still some non state parks I want to do and more state parks, but these state parks are highly detected so I usually do them in late September or October when they have had a chance for more visitors to leave deposits. It works out pretty well most of the time. We will see how it goes this year.

It?s a shame about the ATPro. I really like that machine for doing the water. I?ll look into getting it repaired, but I need one to finish the water sections of some parks before they shut down for the season and sending a machine for repair can take weeks to get back, so I guess I will spend some of my golf ball money and get a new one. The repaired machine can be a spare in case I have a future breakdown. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
    sorry to hear that about your ATPro....
    tnt-hunter likes this.
    Funding my retirement, one penny at a time!

us
    Aug 2010
    cameron,ok.
    whites tesoro
    180 times
    I dropped the battery holder from my gold . Called garrett. In a day or 2 I had 2 batt. Holders
    tnt-hunter likes this.

Aug 2016
    3413 times
    nice find good story
    tnt-hunter likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    24834 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Don't get discouraged,, at least you had a backup. Congratulations on your finds
    tnt-hunter likes this.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

Sponsored Links