Cannonball or what?

QmastaW

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found this round rock while in a rock quarry near the usa border and abbotsford. It is almost perfectly round and has a purpley tinge on 3/4 of the surface

It was located where sumas lake used to be till 1920.

Apparently in the 1800s there was a war for the border and the had stone cannonballs as well. I looked it up and learned that stone cannonballs stopped being made after 17th century....is this even a cannonball? I thought it was a geode but i was told a very good chance it is a cannonball or a mill ball... somebody let me know what it is!

Attachments

• 20210911_114500.jpg
    20210911_114500.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 94
  • 20210914_150658.jpg
    20210914_150658.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
Upvote 5

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was found in a rock quarry, I would say there is a good chance it's a mill ball.

OP
OP
Q

QmastaW

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry maybe I Worded it wrong. It was a lake that was drained in 1920 and since then was sold to a company that is digging up the lake bed And processing all the rock for sales. . Now they are 40' down and when I was getting my dump truck loaded I seen this and had to grab it. When I look up millballs they look like cast balls but when I look up cannonballs it looks like mine like stone

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find! Welcome to TNet!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry maybe I Worded it wrong. It was a lake that was drained in 1920 and since then was sold to a company that is digging up the lake bed And processing all the rock for sales. . Now they are 40' down and when I was getting my dump truck loaded I seen this and had to grab it. When I look up millballs they look like cast balls but when I look up cannonballs it looks like mine like stone
The very earliest cannonballs were stone, I highly doubt any were ever used in North America. On the other hand, mill balls are made from many materials, iron, copper, and stone to name a few. If they are processing rock at this site, they are likely using mill balls.

OP
OP
Q

QmastaW

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a lake bed till 1920 than drained...apparently there was a war in the 1800s at the border.. it was about 90 feet from the border line of USA AND abbotsfordnbc canada. It wasnt a processing plant.. i worded it wrong. It is all fresh dug lake bed from long time ago. Was told theyused stone cannon balls here from sombody and seen they stooped making them in the 17th century. Im curious to know..... all mill ballsni look up look like casted? This is certainly solid rock not cast

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OmastaW asked me to comment. You are correct that stone cannonballs ended by the start of the 1600s -- because casting an iron ball is far easier than laboriously chiseling one out of a chunk of rock. No stone cannonballs are known to have been used in North America.

"Mill Balls" are usually made of cast iron or steel, but some other metals have been used. "Ceramic" Mill Balls do exist, but are much smaller than cannonball size.

You never say specifically that your ball is made of stone. Assuming it is stone... there are several possibilities. Native-Americans are known to have made stone balls for games. But, so did Europeans -- and presumably, the Colonials over here. Unfortunately there is no way at all to determine who made your ball, and no way to time-date it. But I can say with certainty that it is definitely not a cannonball.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm curious as to the dimensions, maybe take a pic of your ball next to a can of Kokanee. :laughing7:
I lived in BC in the early 80s and loved Kokanee when it was brewed in Creston.

"Kokanee is a beer brewed at the Columbia Brewery in Creston, BC. Columbia Brewery began brewing Kokanee lager in 1959 and was purchased by the Labatt Brewing Company in 1974. The brand was introduced to Ontario in 1996, but to save on shipping the beer was brewed at Labatt's facility in London, ON. Molson Breweries launched a pre-emptive advertising campaign questioning the beers legitimacy, with the slogan "B.C. or B.S.?". In 2001, Labatt re-launched Kokanee, trucking it in from the brewery in Creston, BC."

Attachments

• Kokanee_logo.svg.png
    Kokanee_logo.svg.png
    98.9 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
Q

QmastaW

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious as to the dimensions, maybe take a pic of your ball next to a can of Kokanee. :laughing7:
I lived in BC in the early 80s and loved Kokanee when it was brewed in Creston.

"Kokanee is a beer brewed at the Columbia Brewery in Creston, BC. Columbia Brewery began brewing Kokanee lager in 1959 and was purchased by the Labatt Brewing Company in 1974. The brand was introduced to Ontario in 1996, but to save on shipping the beer was brewed at Labatt's facility in London, ON. Molson Breweries launched a pre-emptive advertising campaign questioning the beers legitimacy, with the slogan "B.C. or B.S.?". In 2001, Labatt re-launched Kokanee, trucking it in from the brewery in Creston, BC."

Even better. XLTim hortons cup. Its 8 1/4 inch as i can see.. bout 30lb. Ill try adding photo. Its not letting me right now

OP
OP
Q

QmastaW

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks. Any idea what it could be? 40 feet below a lake bed . Lake was drained in 1920s just dug up now. I worded it wrong as a quarry. There is no solid rock blasting or production there. Fresh dig.

I like it either way. Don't care what its worth I'm keeping it unless its worth a fortune witch i doubt . But id loove to know what it is. Its interesting. I was told by a person who studys artifacts and rocks . And says looks really close to a cannon ball. Ill bring it to them in person tho. Im very curious its killin me hahaha

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am now leaning toward something of Native American manufacture, although their gaming balls were much lighter than 30 lbs.

OP
OP
Q

QmastaW

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am now leaning toward something of Native American manufacture, although their gaming balls were much lighter than 30 lbs.

I am going to weight it. Id almost bet its more then 30. Maybe even 40-50 ill give an accurate weight shortly. And its approx 8 and 1/4 or 8 1/2 inch. Ill get more accurate shortly...wouldn't think this could be used as a toy lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread