Quick question???

pepperpump

Feb 27, 2005
Manassas Park, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Hello everyone once again!!! I have a question for everyone. I have attached a picture of a penny I found while metal detcting in a park...Nothing out of the ordinary with the park and ground but what could possibly eat up this penny???Any ideas???I look forward to hearing from everyone. Good luck hunting!!!
Pepperpump ??? ;D

Attachments

• penny.JPG
    penny.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 328
  • penny.JPG
    penny.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 333
Upvote 0
P

Pooley

What year penny is it? ?Here in south central florida I have noticed that the zinc pennies deteriorate very fast, especially in sand and that is all we have here where I live. ?I have noticed the coins are really deep here, I found a 2003 quarter at 6 inches!!! ?

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zinc pennies corrode/deteriorate and turn to dust pretty much after a while.

That's our Government for you,

too cheap to make pennies from copper anymore.

Just think, 20 yrs from now, you won't be able to find pennies older than 5 yrs old or so,

they'll all just dissapear (unless recently dropped)!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
they dont last very long here in delaware either! i guess pennies really arent worth anything anymore! :-\

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Find alot of those in Colorado too. I think it has alot to do with the salinity in the ground. We were once part of the inland ocean in Colorado and salinity values are very high in some areas. Zincs are added to boat motors as an expendable part to handle the effects of electrolysis, thusly melting instead of more expensive engine parts. Why anyone decided to make coins with zinc content is beyond me, maybe a covert plan to fight inflation...(money that automatically disappears from the economy!) Too many geniuses and not enough blue collars! ;D

M

mtl-huntr

yep thats the story...found lots of zink like that ...nice to pull up a copper once and a while....

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Like CO2, I find a LOT of dissolved zinc cents here in Colorado. I have seen them in other parts of the country, too. Zinc cents were certainly not designed to last.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My detecting buddies refer to these as ALKA-SELTZER pennies.

O

Oddfello

I've seen similar pennies very brittle. I dug up a couple in the same hole under a pine tree. The ground was probably very acidic as I even got a few small pine cones up in the plug. The pennies looked like someone just broke pieces off the sides. That's here in W. Pa .

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
bk said:
My detecting buddies refer to these as ALKA-SELTZER pennies.

That's a good one... ;D I'll have to clue my buddies in on it... " Hey, ya find anything? ,,,Na, just another Alka-Seltzer. ::) "
Most of the zincs I find in bad shape are, as with Oddfello, mostly around the pine trees her in Indiana... Might have something to do with the way the pine trees dispose of the acid rain... ???

poolboy

Mar 27, 2005
yep have to agree!all the newer pennies seem to come out all ate up cheaper metal compostion,I'd say so too.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find those time to time myself, and if they are too corroded I just throw them away. I know where a zinc will hit on my DFX, so unless it is shallow (meaning newer and not as likely to be as corroded), I wont mess with digging it.

R

Rich

well for sure there is fertilizer damage?,...or maybe a abundance of salt if your in a area where it snows and salt is used on the roads and the areas you walk "sidewalk etc etc.."...

OP
OP
pepperpump

pepperpump

Feb 27, 2005
Manassas Park, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Thank you everyone for you replies...Good luck in hunting, I don't know about you all but I am hooked, line and sinker.
Pepperpump ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread