Not sure what it is, Some sorta stamp thing maybe?

Mighty_Mouse

Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites QXT Pro, HeadHunter Pirate
Went out for a wef hours tonight before the bugs got to bad and dark set in. found this and a few other things. I wanted to get this cleaned and posted first but will post the others after i clean em. have been trying everything to read what it says on it. cant make anything out with magnifineglass. Words are backwards and i am not even sure if its english lol. I tried the rubbing but because letters are so close nothing comes up good. lol ok just found away to read some of it lol. Silly putty. it even reverses it. going to try to make some words out.

Attachments

• letter stamp.jpg
    letter stamp.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 344
Upvote 0

joey

Mar 27, 2005
boston, ga
Detector(s) used
discovery 1100
its not french its english! if you can post a pic of all of it close up! i can already mke out 5 words! wtg! H/H

M

mattjd

Hi. Buy a big inkpad, press the thing on it, then press the thing on a peice of paper and you will be able to read the words. ? ? ? ? ? ?Matt

M

mtl-huntr

I'm with Matt it's an ink stamp.... probably a add for a newspaper....I have a few like that...

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Very cool.... some sort of pressplate! Do a gentle rub of on paper with pencil lead and you should be able to read it fine

Congrats on a neat find!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
definitely part of a printing press plate.i always thought that press plates had removeable letters though. i guess this thing was to be used over and over.

OP
OP
Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse

Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Have been using my silly putty and reading bits of it. ?It for sure is not and ad. ?i think it is part of a book. ?Will post what it reads maybe later tonight if i get time. ?It talks about people getting sick at a party. ?

O

ozzysdad

It's a section of Typeset from an old printing machine, Most likely a local newspaper printman could tell you more about the date it was used. I used to have alot of it from when my father used to write a news article, The guy who would set the type used to save them for my dad.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Cool find tho...........

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms
Our local newspaper used linotype for setting up to print . thats what this looks like . locally they used a lot of this in lead . i was able to get a lot of it as scrap...melted it down to make bullets .

varmint

Jan 23, 2005
Lawrenceville, GA
Re: Hey Mighty...

if you have an image editor, take a pic of the thing laying flat and openit in the editor, and use the "mirror" function.

I have a bunch of photo editors, but I used MS Photo Editor for the quick test. I was able to read all of the words easily on the zoomed in pic you took, no problems at all.

If you don't have an editor with the mirror function, post a better pic of the entire thing laying flat and I will mirror it for you and repost.

Kewl find BTW!

DAS

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
That is what you call a 'cut', or a mag die usually made from magnesium.. The older ones were cast in a sheet with linotype material 'tin & lead' and mounted on a wooden block for a total height of 7/8" I think, and called "type high" The big newspaper presses had them cast in a curve to fit the rollers, and print the sheets .. I use them quite often in a hotstamping machine for putting gold impressions on plastic, paper, or leather...

OP
OP
Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse

Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Going to try to do something with it right now. Whats slowing me down is i have no way of getting the whole thing in one pic and zoomed in so will take a few different pics zoomed in and try to put them together as best as possib. As soon as i get something good will post pic.

C

chaazz

put some stamp ink on it and stamp it on a piece of paper and see what it says. Cool

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread