Ice Skating, Ice Fishing & Metal Detecting……..

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Ice Skating, Ice Fishing & Metal Detecting……..

All in one it seemed this past Saturday. LI Tom and I headed towards the Bronx in search of a little silver and the conditions were less than ideal. I found myself doing some funky acrobatics while trying to stay on my feet as opposed to my back. The coils were gliding nice and smooth over the layer of ice that had formed. And to cut a plug, I found myself cutting out a circle of ice before proceeding to dig. Reminded me of what ice fishing could be like. Things got off to an early start with a small silver ring for me and then a Rosie that was a bit on the deeper side for this park. LI TOM had suffered a silver drought but I was confident in his talent with the M6 and the location we were in. I wanted Tom to believe in this cold and frozen place I had dragged him to and asked him to “Have faith Tom!”. Tom came through with a nice merc. Recovering targets was a huge chore and we could’ve done better on a better day………….but we were both happy campers with those little silver rewards for our effort. Once again Tom, good times and a good hunt. Photos enclosed as usual.

Attachments

• Tom.JPG
    Tom.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 877
  • Ricardo.JPG
    Ricardo.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 879
  • TomMerc.JPG
    TomMerc.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 876
  • RicardoRosie.JPG
    RicardoRosie.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 885
Upvote 0

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Ice Skating, Ice Fishing & Metal Detecting……..

New Yorkers are harcore!! :) Great find, nevertheless!!

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006

It was a great time as usual ,although conditions were tough,it was nice breaking the slump with the Merc.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's pretty hardcore man. How deep were they? I'd be out, but we have about 14 inches of snow on the ground. :(

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used

willypurdue said:
That's pretty hardcore man. How deep were they? I'd be out, but we have about 14 inches of snow on the ground. :(

My Rosie was about 5 and change down plus the sheet of ice. Tom's merc was a bit shallower. I thought that day was rough until Tom tells me he was out today for a few hours and three more coins..........it is cold and windy as hell out here today. Tom was a bit more serious about hitting his mark than what I had previously thought!

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

nice !!! we got a stupid foot of the crap here in mass........ :'( :'( :'(

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Considering the condition's you were faced with you all did pretty good!!Congrat's....wind's are supposed to die down tonight.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Nice finds to you and Tom!!!

Have you ever hit Central Park? I would love to come home and hit that area...go to the places my granddaddy took me for walks...maybe I'll find that penny I lost ;)

Ever hit up Jones Beach? ...oh...how about Lake Ronkonkama (spelling?)...we use to go there as kids...heck my parents and grandparents went there before I was born!!!

And would you be so kind and do a big favor for me...if you wouldn't mind...if and when you pass the pizza joint...grab a slice of sicilian for me!!! I sure do miss NY for it's food, it's sites, it's people... :'(...

Thanks ever so much and hope Ol' Man Winter doesn't put too much of a damper on your adventures!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Makes me cold just looking and reading.
Awesome adventure you two,
glad you were rewared with the silvers, congrats!

BDoo :)

topdog

Dec 2, 2007
Navarre, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer

You two are truly hardcore hunters.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great job guys! Congrats on the silver.
-MM-

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage

Nice digs you guys. Snow won't stop me either. Nice rewards. Ricardo that looks like the shovel I recently bought on ebay. How are you carrying it? I just put some hooks on one of my belts to lay the shovel across and carry it. Is yours in a back pack?
WTG, Mike

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006

Hey Ron and Ann,I just bought a water machine and I will be hitting both Jones Beach(the finest public beach in the world) and Lake Ronkonkoma when the warmth returns.I will definetly have a slice and dedicate to you,New York pizza is the best anywhere! HH

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

LI Tom said:
Hey Ron and Ann,I just bought a water machine and I will be hitting both Jones Beach(the finest public beach in the world) and Lake Ronkonkoma when the warmth returns.I will definetly have a slice and dedicate to you,New York pizza is the best anywhere! HH

Ahhh,,,,thanks so much LITom!!! I can taste that pizza now! LOL Love the places down here claiming to have NEW YORK STYLE PIZZA...Yeah Right! Nothing beats Tony's Pizzaria at Springfield and Horace Harding Blvd in Queens (Bayside) or the Zion's Deli in the city, or the Hot Dog Man on the corner!!! What I would give to have a REAL Corn Beef on Rye with lots of Cole Slaw and a fat Kosher Dill Pickle!!! OMG...I can't forget the bakeries in the morning with the FRESHLY MADE BAGELS smothered with Cream Cheese...our breakfast treat on the way to school (Cardozo .. Class of '74).

Have lots of fun at the lake and at Jones'...we had some great times there!! Can't wait to see what wonderful discoveries you will uncover!!! What about Coney Island? That was my Mom's hangout as a teen as well as Rockaway Beach. Bet that place has changed so much....progress...geesh!!

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ricardo,
You never cease to amaze me.
Great finds!!!

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ricardo_NY1 said:
All in one it seemed this past Saturday. LI Tom and I headed towards the Bronx in search of a little silver and the conditions were less than ideal. I found myself doing some funky acrobatics while trying to stay on my feet as opposed to my back. The coils were gliding nice and smooth over the layer of ice that had formed. And to cut a plug, I found myself cutting out a circle of ice before proceeding to dig. Reminded me of what ice fishing could be like. Things got off to an early start with a small silver ring for me and then a Rosie that was a bit on the deeper side for this park. LI TOM had suffered a silver drought but I was confident in his talent with the M6 and the location we were in. I wanted Tom to believe in this cold and frozen place I had dragged him to and asked him to “Have faith Tom!”. Tom came through with a nice merc. Recovering targets was a huge chore and we could’ve done better on a better day………….but we were both happy campers with those little silver rewards for our effort. Once again Tom, good times and a good hunt. Photos enclosed as usual.

Now that's dedication brother. Nice silver.

THEBELLI

Nov 28, 2007
LONG ISLAND NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
CLASSIC ID5 WHITES

LI DUDES ROCK....Iam gonna be out there soon 6 more days till the fat guy brings me my 1st detector a classic 5 (whites) as for the guy with new york food issues southwest ,jetblue two words that lead to all u child hood memories, Great holidays to all do u guys ever do the north shore beaches the ones made of all rock and special tips for rocky beaches as opposed to south shore beaches thanks again Chris

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

THEBELLI said:
LI DUDES ROCK....Iam gonna be out there soon 6 more days till the fat guy brings me my 1st detector a classic 5 (whites) as for the guy with new york food issues  southwest ,jetblue two words that lead to all u child hood memories,     Great holidays to all  do u guys ever do the north shore beaches the ones made of all rock and special tips for rocky beaches as opposed to south shore beaches  thanks again  Chris

awww...woman here...hubby just reads the board...I do all the typing LOL....

Oh, I know...last I was home was 2004...took my boys to the Macy's Parade, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Bldg, 'Ground Zero :('....Central Park...what a wonderful trip down memory lane!!! Plan to head up there this coming Summer (hopefully!)...Was really amazed on how well the subways were cleaned up too....I remember in the 70's..how full of 'grafiti' the trains were!! GREAT JOB NYC!!!

Hey...do you think they would allow metal detecting at Fort Toten? Doubt it...but doesn't hurt to ask sometimes ;) and has anyone ever detected Alley Pond Park? (Queens, Bayside...where all the awesome concerts were in the 70's!)

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used

Mike95inNJ said:
Nice digs you guys. Snow won't stop me either. Nice rewards. Ricardo that looks like the shovel I recently bought on ebay. How are you carrying it? I just put some hooks on one of my belts to lay the shovel across and carry it. Is yours in a back pack?
WTG, Mike

It's the smallest of the ground sharks Mike. Picked it up on Ebay for like $46. I carry it in my backpack for now. I'll come up with a better way later. I keep it around incase a real deep one comes up, incase I have to crack through ice or incase I have to swing it at someone. Multi pupose tool and I like it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread