Found another hunting buddy (and silver too :) )

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally had a chance to meet up with bmanley99 and he took me to one of his favorites. Hunting woods and fields takes some patience and we definitely had that. Targets are few and far between but when the area is old, ya never know. Of course I forgot to take my camera with me so I can only post the better of what I picked up...

This looks to be a buckle for something small, like suspenders
12-22-07whatsit2.jpg

This here is a definite "whatsit?". I know I've seen this type of thing posted around but can't recall what it is. It's not very heavy and about the size of a dime. I think it's too big to be a button and it doesn't appear to be a bell. Who knows?
12-22-07whatsit.jpg

It was getting late, so I was walking and swinging briskly while on my way to tell "B" I was ready to go. All of a sudden, I get this really sweet (but pretty shallow) hit. Dug my plug, reached in and found this '09 Barber quarter at about 3". Made my day. Needless to say, I stayed about an hour and a half longer :D
12-22-07barberquarter09.jpg

Brendan, thank's so much for the location. Funny thing is, I have the map of that area in my "check it out at some point" folder :) I was wondering why the name of that road sounded so familiar! I did go there but I tried to see if I could get there from the east. Ended up just driving around and checking out some spots.

Had a great time today. Look forward to hunting with you again!

Yes, my lips are sealed :) (and I won't go back there without you!)

Merry Christmas!

Joe

Upvote 0

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
love the finds Joe but that barber really makes me drool :D great finds and congrats to you ;)

OP
OP
Joe G

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trusty said:
I think your whatsit is a fishing weight - sinker.

Well, we did discuss that, but it just didn't feel heavy enough. Could be though...

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe,

It was truly my pleasure. I've been hunting alone since I started and definitely prefer having some good company. We're going to have to hit the woods again soon. Who knows, maybe we'll start our own Long Island metal detecting "mafia." ;)

Congrats again on the Barber. I'm really glad my all-day adventure excursion didn't send you home empty-handed. That's a sweet coin!

Of course, your silence on our spot is much appreciated. :)

Have a very merry Christmas! (And to everyone else on TNet as well!)

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

P.S. -- If anyone is curious, my best finds today in the field with Joe were some neat iron relics -- a horseshoe and two HUGE spikes -- but my day-maker was a nice old silver and turquoise ring. I'll try and post some pics later.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that looks right. Nice job on the info, El Cheapo. Cool!

Joe, you had a pretty good day for yourself, didn't you? Glad my 'Hood did itself proud.

--B

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took some pics of the silver ring I found while out hunting today with Joe G. It cleaned up nicely!

At first we thought some stones were missing, but it turned out after cleaning that two were just light in color -- one is pearl-like and another is a rose hue. The green stone on the far side also has a nice vein or something running through it; photos make it look crummy but it's actually quite nice.

There is no maker's mark, Sterling stamp, etc., but I don't think it's junk -- I dug this near a pond in very damp soil and it's still in great shape, plus the dark tarnish wiped right off with a silver polishing cloth.

It's a very unusual ring to say the least. Has anyone seen anything like this before? And/or could venture a guess as to age?

It was a good day! Christmas is a time for digging! ;)

Cheers,
B

Attachments

• Ring1a.jpg
    Ring1a.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 522
  • Ring2a.jpg
    Ring2a.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 529

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking Barber there! I also believe you have a Zouave Ball Button as was suggested earlier. I have about a dozen of those that I found in a Civil War fire pit along with many Staff Officers buttons.

I would clean carefully around where the eyelet is to find the backmark. All of mine are Henry VanWart backmarks, but there were other manufacturers too.

Let us know what you find.......Steve.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those ball or globe buttons have civilian use as well. I have had many over here. Still an old button in good nick :)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt and congrats on the finds, good to get out with a friend! HH, Mike

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:o Sounds like your Christmas started a few days early. A couple of nice presents, too. A new hunting buddy and a fine Barber coin. :) The ring looks like it's from the 60's/70's can still find them on store shelves today though. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Desertfox

OP
OP
Joe G

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bmanley99 said:
I took some pics of the silver ring I found while out hunting today with Joe G. It cleaned up nicely!

It's a very unusual ring to say the least. Has anyone seen anything like this before? And/or could venture a guess as to age?

It was a good day! Christmas is a time for digging! ;)

Cheers,
B

Hey B,

That ring really did clean up nicely. I can't believe all the stones are actually there... sure did look like one or two were missing. All in all it was a real nice day. Looking at today's weather, I'd say we got it in just in time :)

Joe

OP
OP
Joe G

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Those ball or globe buttons have civilian use as well. I have had many over here. Still an old button in good nick :)

El Cheapo and Crusader: Thanks for the help. It doesn't exactly look like the Zouvae button and there's no backmark on it. However, I do think it probably is a button (and an old one at that)

Thanks again!

Joe

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Barbers are great. Those are the coins I like to find the most. Nice job. Ron

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds Joe.
Congrats on that Barber!
-MM-

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! You both sure had some nice finds!! Thanks for sharing guys! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread