A few more wheats...

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
I posted a week or two ago about how I had found three wheats and a silver dime at my new house, which was built in 1956. Now I have found two more wheats in two days, one more in my front yard, in the same hole as a nickel, and another one at my friends house down the street, which was built in the 20's or 30's. That makes a total of 6 wheats I have found in my career (found another one at another house)....I am finally starting to get the hang of the EXII!!

I am hoping to coax another silver coin out of my yard. The front area has been pretty well covered, it is very small but has produced 42 pennies, 1 nickel, 8 dimes, 4 wheats, 2 quarters, and one silver roosevelt. My back yard is proabably 10x the size, but so far seems to have a lot less coins.

I am pretty amazed really, at how many coins I have found in such a small area...you can see from the photo, my front yard is only about 30 x 60 or so.

Attachments

• smallhouse.JPG
    smallhouse.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 216
Upvote 0
M

mattjd

Yah, those 1950's ranch homes are gaurenteed to have wheats and silver in them. Nice finds. Matt

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
I found about 10 or so within a foot or two of the walk. I actually found another 8 or so in the foreground of the pic between the curb and where there is a small dropoff into the yard. I found the silver dime about 2 feet from the curb about where the end of the car would be.

I guess they were lost getting into and out of cars, and the typical traffic areas...walking down the sidewalk, and walking around to the back of the house...there were several along that path too. Even still...they were rather spread out...I wonder if kids used to have coin fights or something....

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
great job! my house is from the 40's and have found around 80 coins incl some mercs, silver rosies and wheats to go with a silver wedding ring.hunt it good i keep finding things there all the time.

peace,bigrig

D

Darod

Your right! That's a lot of coins for such a small yard!

Frankly, I'm surprised your front yard doesn't look like a "used" mine-field! :D

Also, I've seen it again and again,....I'd hit the front yard again and again and I bet you'll find even more!
Look for deeper stuff now. Set that sensitivity up and see what ya see down deep ;)
Let us know how it turns out! You've definately got a good machine there so you should still find more stuff even deeper!

Good luck
Rod

D

Darod

Oh,
one more point.

Your house was built in the mid 50's so you "most likely" won't find coins much older than that,....you could,..but the chances are that you won't. When you start finding coins only from that era your probably finding the deepest coins on the property. UNLESS, of course, there was an older house on the same site prior to the present one. Makes sense, right :)

Good luck,
Rod

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those wheat cents. I found about 40 coins in my yard. House only 20 years old. No coins were dated before the house was built.

Ed Donovan

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Not much older...the house was built in 56.

The dime was a 61, the pennies were....55, 53, 46, and I think a 57.

When you consider that in the change in your pocket right now there are proabbably a few coins that are from the 60's and 70's, I am not too surprised.
I hope to find more stuff from at least the 40's, if not the 30's.? I doubt it will happen though...

Thanks for the tip on searching under the eves...I really haven't hit that yet, but I will soon.

I am pretty careful when I dig so as to avoid the minefield look!! I cut small square plugs, and put everything on plastic or in a bucket to keep the dirt in one place, I even put small sticks that are lying around in the holes to help fill them up and keep my yard uncluttered! I use sort of a putty knife for cutting, so the sides are perfectly straight, doesn't kill the grass......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions