Old farmhouse

J

Joe (Memphis)

On my way home from work Monday I saw a dozer clearing a pieceof land with a barn on it so I stopped and asked permission, he said "sure you can't hurt anything" by the way there was a house over there.... So since then I have been hitting it every day after work. So far I have 35 pennies (one a 1940 wheat) and 2 dimes (both 1980). The finds are coming from both sides of where the porch was out about 20' and out to 30' in front of it. I am getting a bunch of multiple signals showing up as junk, so I ordered a 4.5" coil. So, will the GTP 1350 "only" find pennies? Do I have to move up to the 2500 to get quarters or maybe some silver?? ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Joe (Memphis)

forgot the pic!!

Forgot the pic...

Attachments

• IMG_7731.jpg
    IMG_7731.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 640

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Garrett WILL find silver or even Gold (if its there)......Is the spot where you got your finds----Possibly where the owner parked his vehicles ?? Did you try around where the mail boxes and fence post were ??? B.T.W. your detector tells you aprox. size of the possible target ,doesn't it ? Make good use of your large search coil and hunt around the fence posts or chicken coup if they had one.....I M.D. with a Garrett M.H. CX III, and have yet to make good use of the 12" search coil for cache hunting... Have not found a cache yet in my 10 + years of M.D.......
When using the 4" Sniper coil did you know it cuts your depth to aprox. only 3- 5" max ? 8" coil 5--7" depth,and 12" (Pain in the axx) coil only 9-11" depth very max,,on average coin size targets...... It's Just .Another thing they don't tell us...

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're doing great,

it looks as though you may be hunting in "coin mode"

My advice is to hunt the property in relic mode or if you don't have that, use "coin/jewelry" mode.

I say this because most all of your finds are "copper" and that tells me you're either using coin mode, and or are using too much discrimination to find "other metals"..

I use a GTI 2500 on old farm house properties/etc. and always turn down the disc.

Truthfully, if I were you, I'd use "custom settings" and set the detector to notch out the 1st 3 icon/bars, and accept all others,

this will allow you to find metals from 1 or 2 notches below nickel all the way up to the silver dollar notch but it will ignore iron/nails and the like.

Keep digging, and search the "less obvious places" on the property,

you'll find some good stuff!

HH and keep us posted!

Lonewolfe

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
If you can locate where the clothes line was you may get lucky there. Also around by the back door and if there was a cellar, around the cellar hole. HH.

OP
OP
J

Joe (Memphis)

The item with the anchor is a button of some sort, the back is rusted away, but the front is copper. The long item seems to be a brass shaver handle. You are correct Lonewolfe, I am actually using "custom", but have everything left of penny notched out. I got tired of digging pulltabs, they and bits of shredded cans are EVERYWHERE! I will do as you say, and just notch out the bottom 3. I am using the size feature of the 1350, the main problem I am having now is that there is so much "stuff" there, I have multiple targets under the searchcoil at any given time. I am still waiting for the brown truck to show up with a 4.5" coil. Since the fence posts have old rusty barb wire how would you work that one? To miss the wire, but get any good stuff? Thank you all for your help!!!
Joe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Joe,

for searching the fence line, just walk sideways with the fence (parallel so that you can swing the same direction as the fence) but go very slow so that the barb-wire doesn't get picked up by your detector.

If the wire is 8 inches or more above the ground, you shouldn't have any problem at all.

This will allow the detector to pick up anything near/under the fence (you'll know the difference in sound) from the fence beeps once in a while compared to a strong/solid sound of something in the ground.

I'd hit that place hard Joe,

there's got to be silver, and other good items there- since finding wheats, and the button/etc.,

you'll just have to weed through the junk to get to it/them!

I just searched a torn down farm house property a few weeks back, and I found a lot of cool stuff but, it took 5 or 6 times/days to get through all the junk to find some good stuff myself!

The topic and some of my finds pics are on this forum somewhere (Title = OLD FARM PROPERTY FINDS!) I believe.

HH and keep us posted!

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
J

Joe (Memphis)

Lonewolfe

Took your advice, notched out the bottom 3 and went out in the field. I hit some obvious spots like the only 2 trees out in the field, and thought I had something right between them. It read iron and it was over 4" in size. Yes I dug, and about 6 inches down I hit a round disk, thinking this would be a PERFECT place for a cache I got excited. Then it turned out to be some kind of metal cap or something. :( So I kept going along the fence line that cut right through the 2 trees and found an axe head about 5" down. Right about then I started feeling the raindrops and the lightning was getting close so I packed it in. What was the back yard is now clear of the brush they had piled on it, and will have the place all to myself, the dozer operator said he won't be working there this weekend... Attached is a pic of the "cache".
JT

Attachments

• IMG_7162.jpg
    IMG_7162.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 455
OP
OP
J

Joe (Memphis)

And the AXE

Axe head.

Attachments

• IMG_7165.jpg
    IMG_7165.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 454

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,

the weather sounds like it went south but hey,

ya got the place to yourself all weekend with a clear backyard to boot!

I'd be pounding that place hard ;D

HH and keep us posted,

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
J

Joe (Memphis)

Stay tuned...

I am sure I'll have something strange to post tomorrow... Heck I might find the handle!!

OP
OP
J

Joe (Memphis)

No seams, and don't think I didnt hit that hole for a while after I got the disk out!! Just couldn't create a signal no matter what :-\ Will be heading back there in about an hour. I have been reading that an "all metal mode" detector is better for caches. Is that true? Should I be using the Master Hunter 5 (the largest coil I have for it is the 8.5) and not the GTP 1350 (with 10 X 14 DD coil)?
Joe

OP
OP
J

Joe (Memphis)

One thing I have noticed about Lonewolfe in the short time I have been here is: A) He is very knowledgable and B) he doesn't fall into the " if you don't have ( insert high priced gadget here) you can't find anything" crowd. I'll take whatever advice he has and go try it! I am heading to the homesite now, wish me luck!
Joe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe (Memphis) said:
No seams, and don't think I didnt hit that hole for a while after I got the disk out!! Just couldn't create a signal no matter what :-\ Will be heading back there in about an hour. I have been reading that an "all metal mode" detector is better for caches. Is that true? Should I be using the Master Hunter 5 (the largest coil I have for it is the 8.5) and not the GTP 1350 (with 10 X 14 DD coil)?
Joe

Joe,

True all metal mode as on your Master Hunter 5 on a farm/home property full of junk as you've described, will drive you absolutely nuts with constant non stop signals, and you'd be digging anything from tiny nails, can slaw, hot rocks, chunks of iron, alum., bolts, and everything else that you're not looking for. You may get lucky once in a while and find a coin or something cool but, you'd dig 100s and 100s of targets while trying to find a few good ones.

I'd stick with the 1350 with the 1st 3 icons/tabs notched out in custom settings with the larger coil (better depth) and being that it's eliptical, it seperates targets better too. You also have size imaging on that 1350 that will help you identify small, med, and large targets (something the master hunter doesn't have).

Only after you've cleaned the property after many times of going over it with a detector with at least a little discrimination, would I then try "true all metal mode" to start finding the targets the other detector missed.

You will get a little more depth in all metal non discriminate mode like that of the master hunter (with a larger coil to help) but seriously, you need to remove as much junk as possible 1st in a disc. mode of some type, otherwise, you'll experience the above as I have stated. It helps if you have a lot of time to search a property (like months) that way you can be sure to go over it enough to remove all the junk you can before using an all metal mode/machine.

Also, I'd like to add,

that 1350 will find a cache just as well as that master hunter with it's current coil because the coil is larger on the 1350 for one thing (but the biggest difference between the 2 is) that the master hunter accepts the "2 box depth multiplier unit" you can buy from Garrett that will allow the machine to find deeply buried larger cache's. Jar/Bucket size objects at like 3 to 4 ft. or more.

I use one myself on my GTI 2500, they are the only 2 machines Garrett makes that accepts these things.

The main reason I bought mine is to find the "trash dumps & privy's" on old farm/etc. properties because, I also collect/hunt old Bottles, and this thing makes it easy to find where the people use to dump their trash (which is where you find old bottles too!).

Good luck, and keep us updated!

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
J

Joe (Memphis)

I followed your advice Friday and notched out the bottom 3 and had a great time in the field. The only thing that was a bit worrysome was the rusted can fragments I was finding that read up around the penny mark. The profiling helped, and I KNEW it wasnt a coin, but when in doubt... DIG! I didnt know what could be down there with the can fragments. I found nothing but iron in the field, will go back to the freshly uncovered back yard here shortly. Thank you for letting me piggy back on your experience!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions