Second time out with the new DFX

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really loving this MD. I was out with it for the first time yesterday at an old home site (see my "Ready to try out my new DFX" post in the Metal Detecting forum) but didn't make any good finds.

Today after work, I went out in my yard. I went over an area I've been over with my Ace 250 and my buddy has been over with his Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II. Yesterday afternoon, I found two dimes and a penny with the DFX. Today, I found a quarter and a 1936 Buffalo nickel. I was using the "D.S.M." program and a "general purpose" program from Jeff Foster's "Digging Deeper with the DFX" book.

I have Sunday off and have my fingers crossed that it won't rain. I can't wait to get a in a whole day of hunting!

Good hunting,
desmobob

Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow WTG!!, I long to find Buffalo Nickles, I want to find those the most. I have a Bounty Hunter 2 also living in an old school house I have only found one coin a modern penny 2 inches deep. I need to set my disc. lower I guess. Any tips will help GL HH!!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Attachments

• WTG1.jpg
    WTG1.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 318
  • WTG1.jpg
    WTG1.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 318
OP
OP
desmobob

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Wow WTG!!, I long to find Buffalo Nickles, I want to find those the most. I have a Bounty Hunter 2 also living in an old school house I have only found one coin a modern penny 2 inches deep. I need to set my disc. lower I guess. Any tips will help GL HH!!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Hi MUD,

My buddy's Quick Draw II is what got me into this hobby. He finds plenty of coins with it (he found a quarter, dime and penny today at an old farm). I'll ask him how he usually has it set and get back to you.

I really like buffalo nickels too. The only ones I've ever seen have been badly worn. I don't know if it's because of the design or materials. I was hoping mine would be nice and sharp when I cleaned it. It's OK, but not the nice, sharp one I hope to find someday. I just got started in MDing myself and the buffalo nickel is the second oldest coin I've found. A 1911 penny is the oldest so far out of the one quarter, two dimes, two nickels and 18 pennies I've found in my yard.

Good hunting,
desmobob

OP
OP
desmobob

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
minelab1000 said:
It's amazing how much gets lost over the years.

Hope you find a lot more.

Good hunting!

It is amazing.... I was thinking about it today. I was also thinking about what I thought of a penny, before and after starting MDing. I got a chuckle out of how excited I get to pull a muddy old penny out of the wet clay in my yard. MDing gives one a new appreciation of coins, for sure.

Good hunting to you, too! I hope everyone finds a little treasure today.

desmobob

Keith IL

Jan 8, 2004
Congrats on your finds,Jeff Fosters book is great and will help alot.Learn to use the Tone ID it make a difference

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
desmobob said:
I really like buffalo nickels too.? The only ones I've ever seen have been badly worn.? I don't know if it's because of the design or materials.?

Nickels during that era saw a LOT of use. At a Nickelodeon you could see a "moving picture" for a nickel. A Coke cost 5?. Nickels saw a lot of circulation.

As beautiful as the buffalo nickel is the design could have been better. The date wears rapidly so many of the well-worn coins have no date at all.

Attachments

• Buffalo_Nickels_Obv.jpg
    Buffalo_Nickels_Obv.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 260
  • Buffalo_Nickels_Rev.jpg
    Buffalo_Nickels_Rev.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 269
K

Kentucky Kache

desmobob said:
I'm really loving this MD.? I was out with it for the first time yesterday at an old home site (see my "Ready to try out my new DFX" post in the Metal Detecting forum) but didn't make any good finds.

Today after work, I went out in my yard.? I went over an area I've been over with my Ace 250 and my buddy has been over with his Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.? Yesterday afternoon, I found two dimes and a penny with the DFX.? Today, I found a quarter and a 1936 Buffalo nickel.? ?I was using the "D.S.M." program and a "general purpose" program from Jeff Foster's "Digging Deeper with the DFX" book.

I have Sunday off and have my fingers crossed that it won't rain.? I can't wait to get a in a whole day of hunting!

Good hunting,
desmobob
I have a DFX. I'm still learning the ins and outs, but really like it.

R

rvbvetter

WOW! Your doing great, for just the second time out with it!
I'm just learning my dfx, and i like. I'd like to send it on a dumpster cruise.
Naaah I just need to work at it a liitle more HH

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
desmo, keep at it and keep reading that book!! I just got the book this week and have been reading it in anticipation of ordering my own DFX. I figured if I could get a head start, or better yet start to comprehend what the machine is capable of before I buy it, the $32.00 investment would be better than spending a grand on something I might not understand and end up leaving in the closet while using my Classic ID. The more I read the more I want to get it. I'm convinced that all the locals spots have been searched many times but the DFX will bring more treasure to the surface.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions