1740 KGII Halfpenny finishes off 2007(ADDED more photos)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I went out this afternoon for our traditional last hunt of the year together. In years past some great finds have been made by us on the last day or two of the year.
Today was not a great last hunt but it was a successful hunt.

My son got a blowhole button (mid 1700's style) a Gilt button and a possible coin that could be a French Liard(1600's) or a farthing, but then again it might be a button. He is still working on trying to ID it.
The soil was not too kind at this site to our finds as evidenced by my find for the day.

After almost two hours of nothing worth mentioning that I found, I was resigned to the fact that unless I got something soon, all I would have to show for the last hunt of the year was a fired musketball.

My son took me over to another homesite in the area and it was on the fringe of that site that I finally got the sweet sound of a copper on my XS. I yelled for Dan to come over and check the signal before I dug (we always do that) he uses a Fisher CZ-70 and it is nice to compare readings when we can. Dan agreed it was a copper but like the KGI I found a couple days ago, the depth was very shallow. At 4 inches a copper did appear in the dirt pile! Right away by the coating on it, we knew the coin was not going to be exactly one of my best. But, it is good enough and I am proud to say I got another Colonial in 2007, which ended up being a decent year for me considering all that happened.

May 2008 be a great year for all of us, and maybe I will get a Chain Cent in 08 :)

Happy New Year

Don in South Jersey

Attachments

• Site 224 finding 1740KGIIred.jpg
    Site 224 finding 1740KGIIred.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 639
  • cleaning1740.jpg
    cleaning1740.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 626
Upvote 0

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Re: 1740 KGII Halfpenny finishes off 2007 for me

Don, Congrats on finding a Colonial on your last hunt of the year. I've enjoyed your posts this year.

Good luck in '08.

Happy New Year,
CAPTN SE
Dan

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

fantastic find Don congrats and goodluck in 08 ;)

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Congratulations Don, will the wax prevent further corrosion?

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kg6yll said:
Congratulations Don, will the wax prevent further corrosion?

The wax should prevent more of that patina that is peeling off from not doing so and it filled in the pores of the coin, so hopefully it will stay rather inert for decades to come, LOL, one like that has the Obv and Rev that only a metal detectorist could love. :)

Any further soaking or cleaning would have resulted in more of that loose layer peeling off losing detail, so I had to stop the cleaning off the dirt process, which is fine, the coin is what the coin is and in this case a corroded coin.

Don

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Corroded or not it's still an awesome find Don.Thank's for all your help on cleaning coin's you've given to us,very well appreciated.Happy New Year's and Best of Luck in 08'.....

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Another outstanding coppa recovery by the great Colonial coin hunter of South Jersey. I am still waiting for my foyst (first) King George II coppa. Heck, I have already found a Wee-iam (William) III halfpenny and a George I.

May your 2008 season be filled with coppas, Spanish wilver, butt-ins, and other Colonial relics.

Bone Dry Detecting...KylePA

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Congrats on a nice end of the year traditional hunt Don, nice finds. I hope you have many more.
Happy New Year and good luck in '08
Glenn

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina

Don YOU are amazing :) Wonderful coin and I am happy to see you out :D Hope 2008 will be a great year for you > Happy New Year sugar :)

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Don ! .........

In the colonial concert...you ( and son ) ROCK DUDE !!

Looks like we all got sumthin to kill the year !!

Gonna find a Jan.01,08 KG tomorrow ?

I did notice no white stuff underfoot in your pictures.
I think you guys need snow !!! :D

A FANTASTIC 2008 to you ;)

D.

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awsome Find DON!!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on another great find Don. It's always a pleasure to see your posts. Thanks for the pictures too.
I wish I could get my son to MD with me. ;D
Have a great 08'.
-Doug-

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice large copper Don, and thanks for the inspiration in 2007. Best of luck in 2008.

Rob

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wanted to post a photo of the coin the way it truly looks, so outside sunshine shot and no miracles happened, it is still corroded. :D My son sent photos of his finds from that site and a pic of me surrounded by the horrible green briar at that old homestead site. The coin like holed object does appear to be an old copper, he is still working of trying to get an ID on it. I think there was a practice back in the 1700 and early 1800's to punch a hole through counterfeits, so possibly that is why the hole is there. I know Large Cents in the 1800's were punched and then mounted on the house with the year of the coin for the year the house was built, but I think in this case the possible farthing or French coin was a counterfeit punch.

Don

Attachments

• Don and Greenbriar.jpg
    Don and Greenbriar.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 462
  • Dan finds.jpg
    Dan finds.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 463
  • whatzitwhozit.jpg
    whatzitwhozit.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 474
  • 1740 KGII Halfpenny.jpg
    1740 KGII Halfpenny.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 457

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Don, it looks a bit tough to swing anything in all those briars. ;D Thanks for the added pictures. Looking forward to seeing what the holed item is. I have something that looks very similar to that too. I'll dig it out and post a picture soon.
Have a great week, and congrats again to you and your son.
Great finds,
Doug

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Nice way to end the year Don. Looks like the green briar is total hell. You must have some serious patience
to ping around in it. Best of luck in 2008 and I'm looking forward to seeing your future posts and finds.
Happy New Year, Mike

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Don, that has got to be a coin. It looks too thick to be a button.

Bone Dry Detecting...KylePA

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Wow Don, it looks a bit tough to swing anything in all those briars. ;D Thanks for the added pictures. Looking forward to seeing what the holed item is. I have something that looks very similar to that too. I'll dig it out and post a picture soon.
Have a great week, and congrats again to you and your son.
Great finds,
Doug

Don,
Here's the piece that I had with the holed center, but mine is a button. Oh well.
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 407
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 413

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread