MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's Finds 4\30\05

Hi everyone, went out a little today after the rain. I here you can get better signals after it rains. Again I did not find much :( but a few modern pennies under an old tree in my old yard. It seems I have no problem finding modern pennies but can't find quarters, dimes or nickles, old or new. I get a good signal of a quarter and it repeats for a little then i lose that signal, :( I don't know. Still learning i guess, open to any pointers and/or ways to pinpoint faster.

Here is a picture of the pennies and the tree I found them under.

HH!!
MUD(S.W.A.T)

Attachments

• ourhouse 002.jpg
    ourhouse 002.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 303
  • ourhouse 004.jpg
    ourhouse 004.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 310
Upvote 0

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Today's Finds 4\30\05

MUD,

I found eleven pennies before I found my first nickel. Than another five pennies before I found the second nickel. Then another penny and two dimes before the first quarter.... I guess I must be about due for a half-dollar after another 50 or so pennies! ;)

Keep on hunting! It would seem that your school house location should be a very good hunting spot.

Have you been out hunting with an experienced MD'er? Might be a good idea if you get a chance. Also, have you read and re-read you instruction manual to be sure you're doing everything as intended?

I'm going to be talking to my buddy with the Quick Draw II in a little while. I'll find out what settings he likes to use and I'll e-mail you.

Good hunting,
desmobob

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

hey mud what detector are you using? theres just got to be someone around here who is familiar with the machine you are using. i am thinking maybe your discrimination is set too high. just a guess.

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II

Hey Mud..Don't lose heart. ?It takes time to gain confidence in your abilities. ?Chances are, you just haven't gotten your coil over a quarter yet! ?Try changing your location each time you go out until you have a good hunt. ?You'll eventually run into a site that hasn't been raked by someone with more experience. ?HH~CO2

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

try your local elementary school or middle school. kids lose an amazing amount of coins. the most productive clad spots i have found so far have been public schools.it would give you an excellent chance to perfect your pinpointing and detecting skills. the coins are definitly there thats for sure.check around where the school busses load kids on and off and around the playground. imagine where the most kids probably hang out and search there first.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you everyone!! I Do set my Disc. High, because of all the trash in this old yard, I will try and set it lower. I have a confidence builder site, its another old school, but a building not a house. I found an old bank token I listed here sometime ago there, going to go back soon.
Found two quarters under a bench in a modern park but not any here at the school house. I guess I just have to be more patient.

Thank you, more tips and tricks welcome.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Attachments

• happy.jpg
    happy.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 271
  • happy.jpg
    happy.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 230

krimic

Mar 28, 2005
Metro East, Illinois

The finds will come MUD, just have to be patient.. Just this month has been my best month ever.. In three years of this hobby off and on. The good stuff is out there you just have to listen to what your detector is telling you.. Hope next time you go out you find the motherload.. HH
p.s. all that clad does add up and finding something better than nothing... :)

brandy

Jan 15, 2005
SOUTH ARKANSAS

Hey Mud; I see your using a BH. Set your sensitivity at about half or the 12:00 position. Maybe a little lower. Set your Disc. at 11:00 and start moving your coil, when you cross a quarter,ring,etc. it will let you know. The trick is to learn your machine and what it's telling you. Those are the settings I use most of the time on my BH and make out like a bandit with it. HH

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida

Take your time and hunt your yard on a low disc level, eventually you will weed out all the trash and find anything good that is there! The experience you get in the process is icing on the cake! HH omnicognic 8)

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks everyone, your advise and stories help my confidence a lot.? I will try those settings brandy thank you. Great news found my first Quarter in my yard yesterday evening, Clad but still glad.

Here is a picture of the quarter, if you want to see the rest of the finds for yesterday evening check out my post. (More 4/30/05 Finds w/pics)

Attachments

• ourhouse2 001.jpg
    ourhouse2 001.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 180

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes ,like it has been stated over and over...Try parks especially playgrounds,with woodchips...You can recover your finds very easy....Also,in searching areas that might yeald the older coins....Turn down your discrimination to find every thing at foil or +...The bedt advice I just read in a recent post was ............"The best Descriminator is a SHOVEL".............Just ask Free2detect.........he found that old sheild Nickle today,,,and it was deep,,,,,,,and reading as foil,,,,,,thats what my only sheild nikle showed up on the screen as well...........H.H. .......and Dig Dig Dig......When You get tired,,,,,Just Keep Digging,,,,,,,,,,You will be happier with your finds in the long run.....

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

there you go mud! there is something in that yard besides pennies afterall ! ;D remember how your detector behaved when you came over it.theres probably more where that came from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread