Thanks everyone at TNET for your help in 07!!!

Master Sarge

Feb 23, 2007
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3 / 6x10" DD & 10" DD Coils / Bullseye II Probe
Reading a wonderful post by Captain SE prompt me to tell you all my life story and how I got hooked to this wonderful hobby. As Captain SE stated, I also truly know what its like having the challenges of not having the best of health. I was born with a birth defect which would not allow my bones to grew correctly in my left leg, after 4 surgery's at the age of 1 years old to help save my leg my parents with the doctors advice decided to amputate my left leg. After years of surgeries (12 total) and long stays in the hospital I began to live a pretty normal live, I was a great baseball player (made All Stars every year in Little League) and a pretty good football player. What truly inspired me to achieve all that I did, was the doctors and including family members all my childhood were always telling me that I would never be able to play sports or do thing other kids got to do because of my disability (man I hated that word when I was little) but man did I proved them all wrong. I went to Shriner's for 21yrs at Greenville, SC, man I love that wonderful place, they do so much for disabled children around the US and they do not charge a dime for all their hard work. But to make the story short, after the long road of my childhood and teenage years my leg is giving in to the long years of physical activities. I am now 30yrs old and I can not be as active as I wish I once was, so playing baseball and football is not an option for me anymore. I began to feel very depressed because here I am at the age of 30 being told for the 2nd time in my life that I will NOT be able to do the things I truly love in life anymore. Also, here I have two wonderful boys (Isaac 8yrs / Bryson 6) and they both play baseball now and the thought of not being able to get out there and run with them and enjoy the sport was very depressing to me. It made me feel like I could not share a hobby with them that we all could do together. So one night feeling very depressed watching the Travel Channel a show called "Top Ten places to find Treasure" comes on and it catches my attention right away. On the show it shows people using Metal Detectors finding old coins and jewelery and talking about the history of some of the items people have actually found. Being a history buff I just knew in my heart I have found my new hobby. So the next morning I grab the phone book and start calling all the Sporting Good stores in my area. I bet you I called over 30 different stores and not a one of them sold Metal Detectors. The last store I called the store manager gave me a number to one of his friend's that MD's and he gave me a number to call. So I call this guy that runs a Bike store and he sales White's Metal Detectors also, but the only problem is his store is over 2hrs away from were I live. Being so determined to start this new hobby I jumped in my truck and drove straight there and bought my first MDer a White's Prizm V, and the guy also told me to check out a site called Treasurenet and it would give me some helpful tips to get me started because I was new to the hobby and did not know of anyone were I live that enjoyed this hobby. That's were all you guys come into this story, every since the first time I signed on as Master Sarge each of you have truly inspired me and taught me allot about this wonderful hobby of Metal Detecting. I have enjoyed this wonderful hobby since February of 07 and the hobby and all of you have gave me something to share with my kids again. This Christmas I bought my two boys and my nephew each a Bounty Hunter MD and they love it. We all have been out 4 times since Christmas. Again thank you all so much for the kindness you have provided me. May God Bless each of you!!!! Have a wonderful 08 P.S you all better watch out, we have 3 new challengers!!!

Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Congrats on finding a great hobby that can fit anyone. I've seen people in wheelchairs detecting-they use a longer shaft to keep from having the chair set it off. I've seen deaf people enjoying the hobby as well-they use a small red light attached to a headphone plug to indicate a signal. You're only handicapped if you think so.
Not being able to play ball and run like you used to can be disappointing but as long as you and your sons can get out and enjoy this hobby together is what helps make a father/son relationship so important.
Best of luck and HH to all 3 of you. Have a great New Year!

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
Master Sarge, That's a beautiful story and summery of your life. I am glad to hear that the people on T-net inspired you like (Cap SE) did, Truly great folks here. hope you have a great 2008.

Pat Pall

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Great story and an inspiration for your children too. I hope 2008 is a great family year for you and your family and hope to see some great relics and coins too!!

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very inspiring post buddy. This forum is wonderful for many of us. Your post is a great one. Good luck in 08

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Master Sarge,

I am very moved by your wonderful story. I am glad I inspired you to write it. You will also be an inspiration for others to do the best we can do in life at whatever we have a passion for. You have the passion to treasure hunt now, and it's a terrific hobby you can share with your boys.

Thoroughly enjoy the time out detecting with your sons and nephew. They are priceless. When I first started detecting in my teens, my Dad, brother, cousin, and uncle all detected together. It was a great time. Now I have great friends to detect with.

Keep the passion high, my friend. If there's anything you want to know about detecting, just PM me.

Happy New Year!
Dan
CAPTN SE

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Brother, great inspiration! I know many people on here are so supportive and help out in many ways that go far beyond detecting! Keep it up and start training those challengers! Ill see you on the beach!!

Crackbadger

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Master Sarge,

Wow, thanks for sharing that. Great story.

Keep it swinging, Joe

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Master Sarge,
You may have made the All Stars in little league but you are an MVP in life, telling your story will be an inspiration to others who may feel like their back's against the wall. Great story thanks for sharing. Good luck in '08

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank's for that inspirational story Master Sarge.....this whole crowd of people are the greatest when it come's to sharing there knowledge,tip's and technique's.All you gotta do is ask!Now you have to get your hunting buddy's down around those track's and find some of that Civil War goodie's....Best of Luck this year,looking forward to your find's......HH!!

poppa19

Jul 22, 2007
western new york
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
awesome story, that I think will inspire all of us on t-net. good luck with your new found hobby, and cherish the time you get to spend with your children, as we all know as they get older the times spent together will be shorter as they grow into adults and have familys of there own. my oldest is 27 and youngest is 5 with 1 on the way due 5-1-08. I love the time spent with my all my children. now with that said go find that treasure!!!!

OP
OP
Master Sarge

Master Sarge

Feb 23, 2007
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3 / 6x10" DD & 10" DD Coils / Bullseye II Probe
Thanks friends for all your posts. It is great to know that I have so many great people to turn to for support.

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
You are an inspiration Sarge! Hope you can continue detecting for at least another 60 years or so! Glad you have company to join you in this hobby.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I hunt regularly with a friend with one leg (Drunk driver took it off)He gets around pretty good and often out hunts me.
I also had a friend who was a quadraplegice (had some arms and legs but not much) and was the best shot I ever saw (custom guns), He was I'd say the least disabled person I ever met that was disabled, Other than having to push his wheelchair out of the sand occasionaly he was a Freaking riot to be around, He always told it like he thought it was. Ended up having two great kids who are about 12 or 14 now, Left a mark on my life for sure.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MS, It's been quite some time since I read something that really moved me and your story has. Good luck to you and your family in '08.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Thanks, Master Sarge for the life story. You my friend are an inspiration to all of us here on Tnet.
It's folks like yourself that keeps the rest of us going! God Bless and enjoy the time with your boys. HH

Desertfox

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Master Sarge,

Welcome to the TNet Family. Great Post, very moving story. You will find lots of great folks and information here.

Enjoy.

Happy Hunting

Ray S ECenFL

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D
Very moving story there and I think you got into the right hobby too! No matter how down I may be at times, all my troubles melt away when I start doing a little MD. Good luck and really look forward to seeing some postings from you.

Just a suggestion here: If you have a digital camera, you could video tape your research and post it on YouTube too! I love going there and typing in "Metal detecting", and you get to be with the people as they find those great finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread