32.9 KB · Views: 366
Upvote 0

bmanofnbc

Dec 20, 2004
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SSII & Fisher F75
DigginD said:
I've decided I'm just going to follow Pete around and look for anything he missed. LOL? ?;D? Congrats again Pete!

It doesn't look like he misses much, Good luck!

Nice find pete!

poolboy

Mar 27, 2005
Nice coin!!!You sure know where to find them!I'm glad I read some of your tips and pointers I'll put them to good use!thanks again for the tip on torn up sidewalks!!!!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another nice one Pete!

Your finds are indicative of an area that hasn't seen much detecting, and or has been neglected in regards to? renovation of the sidewalks/streets until recent, and it appears to be to your benefit!

In MI here, they did most of the renovation to sidewalks & streets in the mid/later 80s up to the early 90s, and that's when we were cleaning up on finds like you've been posting such as the above.

It was a time when (no joke) you could drive from city to city around here, and almost in secession one after another for 5 or 6 yrs, they were tearing up the sidewalks/streets in almost every town/city in the old main street areas, and you could find several dozens of Indian heads, V nickels, Buffaloes, Seated coins, Barber pieces, Large cents, 2 cents, etc. etc. each year!

Now days, they tear up very little (but when they do) you've got to be there almost instantly or you'll be 1 of? 10 guys out there fighting over the site/s!

It's almost comical,

I remember just about 7 or 8 yrs ago when they did a "re-landscape" to a 50+ acre old fair grounds in s/w MI and 100s of guys showed up with detectors from all over MI because they advertised in the news paper that they were skimming the 1st 6 or 8 inches of soil off the grounds over a period of 3 days to re-design! I never seen anything like it! It was an army of angry mob of detectorist! There were guys swearing at each other, and threatening to beat each other up if they tried to get at an area before someone else did, etc.!

I just laid back, and let them all go where they wanted to 1st, and then took the areas they over looked/skipped/etc. and or went over some of the ground they did 1st, as the project progressed!

After 3 days, I came away with 3 Large cents, 2 Seated quarters, 5 Seated dimes, 16 Barber pieces, over 2 dozen Indian heads, 11 Buffaloes, 2 v nickels, almost 100 wheats, several tokens, and various items/relics (not to mention) all the newer silver & clad era coins!

There were several guys that found 5xs as much as I did because they got to the prime areas before me & others..

The good old stuff is out there (but) a LOT of it is buried deep, and or covered by concrete/brick/etc. The coins I was finding on avg. were still 4 to 8+ inches down AFTER they removed 6 to 8 inches of soil. That means the coins on avg. were 10 to 16 inches deep before they removed any of the soil.

If they're tearing up the streets/sidewalks in your town for the 1st time since the 30s/40s or possibly before, you've got excellent hunting ahead!

Keep us updated!

Lonewolfe

R

rvbvetter

? ? ? ?Another great find!! ? ?WTG!! ? ? ?HH

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Free,
I too made a find on 4/30/05. Think you can recognize it?
It was an 1864 2 cent peice. I had to clean it a little :-\. Note the little bit of corrosion on the back. This is usually how my sidewalk finds turn out :-[.

Attachments

• 050105-1 001.jpg
    050105-1 001.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 232
  • 050105-1 002.jpg
    050105-1 002.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 241
F

Floater

Well Again your at it making me really jealous. Nice find .
O Bk what the hec did ya do to that poor cioinn??? :o

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Floater,
I used a brass brush. I kinda over did it huh?
It was so crusty you couldn't even identify what it was.
I hope I didn't ruin it ;D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread