frozen needle in a frozen haystack (coppa slug)

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hello all,

vp here, got out detecting today, the other Bone Dry guys couldn't make it so i went out solo ... went to an old colonial farm field that has stumped me in the past - literally i have not found one coin here, BUT the land is so old and is mentioned in numerous old texts that when i have time, i just keep hitting it, there have to be coins on the property somewhere, it's a large field too so i keep hoping i'll hit the hot spot

anyway today was frigid, about 20 degrees out and the wind was blowing, not the greatest day to detect but when you have time it's better than working so i figured what the heck

i dug two targets in the matter of an hour, first one was can slaw at 6 inches which normally wouldn't phase me except the ground was frozen SOLID to a depth of about 3-4 inches - so it took me about 15 mins to dig it out - boy was i mad when i saw it !!! so i went on and promised myself only to dig "perfect" targets

about 5 mins later i got a "00 29" on my SE, now anyone who has an SE knows your heart beat starts racing when you get a signal like that because 95% of the time it's a coin. the depth read 5 inches, i started to dig - only it was more like chiseling - about 15 minutes later i popped this large copper out, i rubbed at it a bit and saw the "One Cent" and a wreath on the back, immediately recognizing the large cent - the front was too hard to see a date

so i checked around a bit more and found nothing, freezing but very happy, I decided to call it a day

now next i made a BIG mistake, i learned a couple weeks ago that with a dug copper there is not an aweful lot you can do to improve the coin, but there is an aweful lot you can do to make it worse, i had washed my 1835 copper with soap a few weeks back trying to get the dirt off and now it looks terrible

paco always tells me to just rub the dirt off and leave it alone but STUPID ME i wanted a date on this coin - i tried the peroxide treatment - well i must have left it in too long or the coin was more corroded than i thought because now the pretty wreath and "One Cent" i had seen so easily when i dug it are totally gone !!!!!

i know it wasn't worth anything anyway, so i'm not too upset about it but i think i've learnt my lesson - that's 2 coppa's that look worse than when i dug them !!!!!

so here is the picture of my coppa large cent slug :(

take care,

vp
Bone Dry Detecting
demoted back to junior member

Attachments

• largecent-braided.jpg
    largecent-braided.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 592
Upvote 0

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soap and water and copper coins just don't mix. Unless their memorial cents..............I have found out in the past that the best way to clean large copper coins is just use plain water and let them dry , then put a little olive oil on them. Put a little on your finger and put a light layer on the coin. I then store them in a 2x2. If its a better coin and could be a rare or disirable dated coin , then get someone who is good at cleaning and preserving coins. Good luck going back to your sight and in 2008...........HH

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Vpone..

Live and learn man.

Just water on copper ...Sometimes the dirt hides in what is left of any details and even washing it in warm water takes away what detail was left.
I dont even like to rub dirt off coins since its an abrasive and can leave scratches and devalue a possible valuable coin

If I find a Lg Cent ,KG,etc etc with green oxidation crusties A tiny dab with a Q-tip of lemon juice on the green crusty can break it down to pick at it with a toothpick.

Name of the game is be carefull with the chemicals if you think you have a rare coin.

On the other hand I have coppers so incrusted with whatever that anything I do cant hurt the coin :D

Still you got out in the ice age and dug a coppa !!

Good find !

D.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is one thing to find a coin that old but it is another to brave the cold like that. My hat is off to you and any thing else I got. Nice dedication to the hobby.
Burdie

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find buddy. I'm hoping to get out this Sunday when it hits mid 50's here...but I don't know if I will be able to or not.

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey thanks everyone for the posts (and advice !) i think i have it down down MAYBE a little water but never soap, and only use the chemical treatments if the coin is beyond all hope, like i said, this one had some good detail on the back - HAD !! :)

i guess i can laugh about it now

as far as braving the cold, don't mind the cold but digging thru the frozen ground is another thing !

thanks all,

vp
Bone Dry Detecting

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
silverfreak said:
Nice find buddy. I'm hoping to get out this Sunday when it hits mid 50's here...but I don't know if I will be able to or not.

hey bryce,

yeah supposed to be in the upper 40's here sunday also, we have an old colonial road and homestead lined up that is only a couple properties away from our colonial tavern site (5 coppas and a half dime) so i'm hoping the ground will thaw a bit - that was some rough diggin'

on another note, i air tested my 6" excell a bunch the other day, and yeah i'm liking what i'm seeing, had no idea it went that deep, i know it's just air testing though, but it was right on par with my 10" stock coil !

take care

vp

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Large Cent....Seems like you might be able to get something to come out....You have already used the treatment so mine as well try to get something out of it....It is CLEARLY a large because I can see the press spot in the middle which I also had on mine.....THese were made many times by presses that were powered by people and I can always tell these older pressed coins because many times they have those shallow BUT noticable round depressions in the middle. Good Find!

fleamarketmutt

May 10, 2007
southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
White Coinmaster classic III
Nothing like a "big old shade tree" in the mid summer months. That is, before a/c! Any big old trees near old foundations on this property? Kids would have played around them, ppl could have picnic'd under 'em. I hit 4 or 5 mid 1800 coins around a big tree, next to this abandoned church, in the middle of town even.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread