Upvote 0

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: got out for a few hous on one of my farm fields found a very old looking coin id

Looks Spanish. Reale like. Needs a clean-up to be sure.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: got out for a few hous on one of my farm fields found a very old looking coi

William III halfpenny cica 1694 in great shape to

DCMDer

Oct 2, 2007
Washington DC
Re: got out for a few hous on one of my farm fields found a very old looking coin id

Very nice William III. We love to find those old(for us) colonial coppas here in the US

OP
OP
ukeden

ukeden

Jun 16, 2006
cumbria
Detector(s) used
ace 250,whites spectrum
Re: got out for a few hous on one of my farm fields found a very old looking coi

wow dint think it was as old as that thanks for the id CRUSADER nice one m8 :)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ukeden said:
wow dint think it was as old as that thanks for the id CRUSADER nice one m8 :)

Its a rare find in that condition, even rarer in the US.

One of the earlist copper issue halfpennies.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: William III halfpenny cica 1694 found by big tree in farm field

Sorry, just checked my book. Although Williams reign started in 1694 the copper issue wasn't until 1695 - 1701.

If you can make out the last date letter on the reverse that would be a bonus.

Even in Fine condition they start at £30. In EF as much as £650, so you can work out how rare they are.

OP
OP
ukeden

ukeden

Jun 16, 2006
cumbria
Detector(s) used
ace 250,whites spectrum
Re: William III halfpenny cica 1694 found by big tree in farm field

thanks for the info the reverse is blank shame about that after washing under water dosent look as its in very good shape the mud was making it look better than it was its thin and worn found a few blanks with nothing on them in the field opsite i now think these are similar judging by the size and width any one no how old this nail is it looks hand made large and crude

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Despite the Reverse being blank, I think I can narrow down your date a little more. It appears to be a Type 3 issue,(based on the type of bust I see) which would be 1699-1701, without seeing the Reverse I believe further breakdown impossible, but I do not have enough data to say for sure.

It is possibly a 1699, since I see no period on the Obverse, but on a 1700 photo I have there is a Period after TERTIVS. But it is possible all years 1699-1701 have both with and without periods. :)

Crusader was oh so correct, the William III coppers are so hard to find in unworn condition, I do know that almost all of ours found here in New Jersey are worn down much more on the Reverse and on some just the ribbons on the Obverse are showing and some of the lettering of GVLIELMVS, that is what seems to wear off last.

Don

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: William III halfpenny cica 1694 found by big tree in farm field+ more pictur

Don in South Jersey said:
Despite the Reverse being blank, I think I can narrow down your date a little more. It appears to be a Type 3 issue,(based on the type of bust I see) which would be 1699-1701, without seeing the Reverse I believe further breakdown impossible, but I do not have enough data to say for sure.

It is possibly a 1699, since I see no period on the Obverse, but on a 1700 photo I have there is a Period after TERTIVS. But it is possible all years 1699-1701 have both with and without periods. :)

Crusader was oh so correct, the William III coppers are so hard to find in unworn condition, I do know that almost all of ours found here in New Jersey are worn down much more on the Reverse and on some just the ribbons on the Obverse are showing and some of the lettering of GVLIELMVS, that is what seems to wear off last.

Don

Don

They we go, down to a 3 year range. ;D

OP
OP
ukeden

ukeden

Jun 16, 2006
cumbria
Detector(s) used
ace 250,whites spectrum
Re: William III halfpenny cica 1694 found by big tree in farm field+ more pictur

thanks very much for all your help i aprechiate it :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread