1876 seated liberty half

happymikeyone

Jun 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
well i finally found an oldie an 1876 seated liberty half. we been haveing high surf here in monterey. i went out yesterday didnt find much just some clad. today i got up and went again hit a pretty good cut in the sand . any ideas on how to clean this coin would be appreciated. and any info on value would be nice also thanks
hh
mike :)

Attachments

• liberty20.JPG
    liberty20.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 604
  • resized 1.JPG
    resized 1.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 593
  • quarter.JPG
    quarter.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 583
Upvote 0

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Super finds!The surf is really harsh on silver.The couple I dug in salt were really trashed.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I wouldn't clean it, I don't think you stand to gain much by doing so and do stand to lose a lot by doing so. As bad as many of the surf coins look this one isn't too bad IMO and as long as you can see most of the details and date already why risk cleaning?

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Hi Mike

Nice find

Surprising a coin that has probably been lost in the surf for 100 years turned out so good looking. You can see where it looked like it was partially covered with a piece of lumber or something straight that kept some of the water action off of it.

It's your coin.. if you want to clean it then do so. I am too far away from the surf/salt water to know how well electrolysis works but finderzzs is in Hawaii and uses electrolysis on his silver coin finds.

Let us know what you decided

HH

Sanat

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
no tips here, but it's a great find !!! i would want to try something if it were mine.... ;D ;D ;D

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions