Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my ticket to ride the toll roads of New Hampshire. I found this token at a small park along the Intra-coastal Waterway in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. Probably not a big deal find for New Englander’s, but, a bit unusual here in the sunny and warm South. (Sorry, us Floridians have to say those things in the winter – you get your shots during hurricane season.) My research tells me this token are no longer used because they were more trouble than they were worth and EZ-Pass made them obsolete. It also said that 9 million were made and the State are no longer honoring them or giving any cash value back for them. Bummer.

The obverse and reverse are identical. The depiction on the token is the “Old man on the mountain” at Mt. Washington that is also on their quarter. He fell down last year and is now just a pile of rocks. Who would have figured.

My question is how much did they cost the user to purchase? I also wonder what the heck was wrong with using money instead?

Thanks for looking
TE

Attachments

• NH Token.jpg
    NH Token.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 493
Upvote 0

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice unusual find. I have no idea on how much they cost, but like most ride tokens, they were purchased because they were cheaper than the actual faire if you didn't have one. The municipality that was using them used the money that they made from the sale of them.
WTG

zartan7779

Dec 3, 2006
new hampshire
Detector(s) used
a cheap $75.00 ebay one
well it was cheaper useing the tokens . each token cost you 12 cents and then when you used them goin through the toll it was pay 25 cents .

hope you understand what im trying to say here lol

it appears they sell pretty well on ebay i personally gather about 20 from around my family and am just gonna pass them to my kids one day .

very nice find grats

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Right, they were sold in rolls of 40 for $5, thus 12.5¢ each. And were good for 25¢ worth of toll fare. The Old Man was near, but not on, Mt. Washington.

OP
OP
Patrol

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Bad! Thanks for the information. Geography is one of my long suits but I didn't do my research. I want to go to NH one of these days, especially Mt. Washington. I understand the weather is always interesting.

$0.12 isn't very much. I think the copper value is worth more. Two hundred years from now they will be a hot item on Tnet. They can talk about back when people drove cars and how big Mt. Washington was before it fell down one hundred years after the "Old Man". Hmm.

TE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread