Still doin it in MI!

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Temps around 60 in MI today.....3 days ago I plowed 12" of snow off of my drive.??
Had a little time to get out this afternoon, so I headed for the local beach to check some dry ground areas.......the dry ground areas were still frozen solid so I wandered down by the lake.At the lake shore the ice was breaking up and I found that if I pushed hard enough, I could move these auto sized chunks of ice a couple feet one way or the other and detect in between.Sounds crazy but it was really kind of fun.
So here I am , standing in knee deep water (5ft in July before they let the lake level down) basicaly working wide cracks in the ice.I turned my disc off and dug every signal.For the most part...a bunch of junk, but I did recover a nice knife and one 14k earring.Just a little bugger(.8g)....bounced between iron and foil and wasnt even a repeatable signal. Found five other junk earrings and a couple eyeball finds.Two other detectorists popped over the hill at one point....didnt stop to chat...probably thought I was insane ;)

PICT0001_0001.JPG
PICT0002_0001.JPG

Hey,...heres some shots from my cabin(yesterday) before the heat wave hit.
PICT0013.JPG
PICT0014.JPG
Just thought Id share....best of luck to all.....Joe

Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
WTG Joe!! Nice finds buddy.
I wish I could have gotten out
or get out tomorrow
but my schedule won't allow it :-\

Congrats on the goldie!

BDoo ;D

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
HI Joe,
That snow art is awesome. Those boys look like some nice diggin help.
Glad you got out, and HH the rest of 08.
Tennessee Joe

NateGrand

Jan 30, 2008
Columbia, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star/ Whites
Wow....very nice designs in the snow. Makes me feel kinda dumb...considering even my basic snowmen won't even stay up straight. Happy Hunting

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a great day, to me! WTG! Keep thinkin' spring, as maybe that will get it competely here!

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D
Nice finds there....I really want to know how you did that snow design though...Come on tell us your secret...I know my kids would enjoy helping me make one of those....

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Wow.......Kudos to you for getting out and cracking some ice! Great job on the gold! Your boys are little cuties!

HH,
Moon

Jim-MI

Mar 28, 2005
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon
Last winter I put my waders on and hunted in a creek that meandered in the woods. The way the ice formed from the bank was so cool! The ice jetted out above the water and made interesting ledges that you could crush with the weight of your foot, these ledges also came in handy for a place to dump the scoop out on and easily see what you had. The snow made everything seem so quiet and still. Since there were no other people around, it seemed quite ere, like I was at a location that was unknown by anyone. Digging with my scoop, my hands eventually got wet and I discovered a pinhole leak in my waders. My feet were a little cold and now my left was gradually getting wet, I could feel the wetness work its way toward my toes.

Many signals I got were to deep to get at with my scoop, the hole I dug with the first scoop would fill in because of the moving water. I had to give up on those which drove me a little crazy, because I was imagining old coins that were just out of my reach. I found some fishing lures and such, and ended up with a couple newer pennies that were under a small bridge where I had entered the creek and of course the standard bent up pulltabs and what not. When I got back to my car, I was cold but invigorated. Getting out of the house when Michigan winter gets you down helps the blues tremendously.

Twenty one more days till Spring! Yeah!

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG!! Those look like some very nice finds.

starwarsblazer

Jul 24, 2007
Portland, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
You are a hardcore Michigander! I don't dare tread out in the snow here.....they would end up finding my frozen corpse in June when the weather finally warmed up enough.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread