Heres One For You Railroad Buffs, and Silver Too!

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's One For You Railroad Buffs, and Silver Too!

Greetings!

I went back to the old house site I hit with nice results yesterday (see thread http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,133535.new.html#new) and put in a couple more hours. It was another great day!

My first signal of the day not only turned out to be the best, but also one of my favorite finds yet: A super-old Long Island Railroad commuter badge, for passage from Flatbush Ave. (Brooklyn) to Great River, which is where I live (in fact, the GR train station is right next door to my house). This is why I love relic hunting -- talk about holding history in your hands. Back in the old days my neighborhood was one huge Gold Coast estate after another, mostly wealthy NY socialites who had summer homes on the Island. I can imagine someone riding to and from NYC on the ol' LIRR, waving this thing just like we do today. Definitely one for the display case.

I also nabbed another silver (two in two days) -- a 1946 Rosie. Then of course there were the usual shotgun shells, bullets, and another item I've been finding a lot of lately -- another old lantern part. I also found a old iron hoe (not pictured), which I believe is the third I've dug in this spot.

Well, I'm sure to hit this place again, so hopefully I'll have more to post!

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

Attachments

• LIRR Tag.jpg
    LIRR Tag.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 520
  • Rosie1_both.jpg
    Rosie1_both.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 513
  • Shells and lantern2.jpg
    Shells and lantern2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 533
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Here's One For You Railroad Buffs, and Silver Too!

Plehbah, is that what it is? A baggage tag? Neat.

When you say "far and few around here," where do you mean? Do you mean TNet, or are you in NY too?

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

99, nice tag. Glad you were able to snag it before it was lost forever!
HH

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joe, thanks for the link. Using the site I was able to identify the maker's mark -- "AM. RY S CO. NEW YORK" as being from the American Railway Supply Company, which operated from 1891 into the 1920s. There are several variations of the hallmark and the one I have is believed to be one of the earlier ones. Again, thanks for the website!

Talk to you soon bud.

Cheers,
B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread