Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before Christmas I did a post entitled Medieval finds from the Castle field, today we had arranged to go on a club dig but we had to drive past the Castle field on the way, As we approached the field we noticed the remaining crop had been removed so we decided if the club dig was no good we could drop back on the Castle field and that's what we did. It was a bit hard going the tractor had left big ruts, my fist decent find was a small roman bronze not quite sure of ID but I think it might be Constantine111 could not get a good picture of this will post a better one later, I worked my way down to the bottom of the field were I made my best find for a long time dating from the Iron age of Britton a Celtic Dragonesque Brooch this is the first piece from this era for me ,unfortunately the bottom of the Brooch and pin are missing but it is still a very rare find. TK ;D

Attachments

• C.jpg
    C.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 3,911
  • Dragonesque Brooch3.jpg
    Dragonesque Brooch3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 3,914
  • Brooch7.jpg
    Brooch7.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 3,888
  • Roman Coin.jpg
    Roman Coin.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 3,882
Upvote 2

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Very nice ar kid !!

Master Sarge

Feb 23, 2007
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3 / 6x10" DD & 10" DD Coils / Bullseye II Probe
Great finds!!! I have a quick quesition, what is a brooch? And what was they used for?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Master Sarge said:
Great finds!!! I have a quick quesition, what is a brooch? And what was they used for?

Its what you would call a pin used to hold up a garment which was normally wrapped over the shoulder. More importantly it was a sign of wealth & status.

(sorry Tyre for answering your question, I'm bored at work)

Master Sarge

Feb 23, 2007
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3 / 6x10" DD & 10" DD Coils / Bullseye II Probe
Thank you so much Crusader. I kept reading stuff about croochs and I had no idea what it meant.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool! BANNER!!!! BANNER!!!! BANNER!!!!

75.gif

From http://www.humanitiesweb.org

S-shaped or dragonesque brooches, a small but highly interesting class which may be regarded as a connecting link between the plate-brooches and the ring-brooches next to be described. It was found at Faversham, Kent, and resembles the letter S with its serifs developed into grotesque and somewhat horsy heads with large ears and attenuated necks. The curved pin is loosely coiled, as in the ring-brooches, round one of the necks. In using the brooch, the pin was thrust through a sufficient volume of the dress, and its point was passed between the lower neck and the body, the pressure of the dress keeping it in that position. All these brooches appear to have been enamelled, the usual colours being red, blue, green, and yellow, and in both shape and decoration they have a strong Late-Celtic feeling. There are about eighteen known examples found in this country, and a few have also been found on the Continent.

DCMatt

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DCMatt said:

75.gif

S-shaped or dragonesque brooches, a small but highly interesting class which may be regarded as a connecting link between the plate-brooches and the ring-brooches next to be described. It was found at Faversham, Kent, and resembles the letter S with its serifs developed into grotesque and somewhat horsy heads with large ears and attenuated necks. The curved pin is loosely coiled, as in the ring-brooches, round one of the necks. In using the brooch, the pin was thrust through a sufficient volume of the dress, and its point was passed between the lower neck and the body, the pressure of the dress keeping it in that position. All these brooches appear to have been enamelled, the usual colours being red, blue, green, and yellow, and in both shape and decoration they have a strong Late-Celtic feeling. There are about eighteen known examples found in this country, and a few have also been found on the Continent.

DCMatt

Thanks, DCMatt. We can always rely on your good research skills to be able to understand this great find in the correct context. It is worthy of the banner in my opinion as well 8)

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DCMatt said:

75.gif

DCMatt
Thanks Mat......here's what it might have looked like if it had been complete :o

Attachments

• Dragonesque Brooch UK.jpg
    Dragonesque Brooch UK.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 3,095

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll say it again, awesome! Nice of DCMatt to add that, offers a little more perspective of the find. HH, Mike

Steve_UK

Dec 5, 2007
Midlands
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
One of the nicest finds I have seen on here, I'd be as pleased as Punch if I had found it!

Well done mate! ;D

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extremely nice!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve_UK said:
One of the nicest finds I have seen on here, I'd be as pleased as Punch if I had found it!

Well done mate! ;D

One day, Im sure your post something similar. Get in those ploughed fields ;)

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on making the BANNER!!!

DCMatt

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
First off let me say congrats on the banner find. Secondly let me apologize at least for my own lack of attention as I normally get just way to jealous of you guys in countries with such ancient histories. As for the rest of T-Net they can I'm sure speak for themselves, but I would like to point out that many of our contemporaries are involved with winter and such finds can stir deep seated emotions for those of us currently locked up by cold and ice. Thirdly Most of those who are here during the winter wouldn't recognize a Celtic brooch from a licence plate, so expecting oooohhhhsss and aaahhhhhssss, might be a bit much. I can only recognize it's value by the fact that Marc found it worthy of a banner placement. Again congrats on what must be a very exciting and historical find, worthy of some notoriety in the least.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TK,
Congrats on both of your fantastic finds, and also for making BANNER. Well deserved for sure!
You guy in the UK find some awesome extremely old relics.
Way to go!!!
-MM-

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Tk,
Tootally awesome find. Congrad's of picking it from the soil. My biggest wish is to visit your country,(maybe ill hit the lottory).
Alos BIG Congrad's on the BANNER!!!!!!
Tennessee Joe

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
that broach is way too cool. congratulations on such an exquisite find

Top Member Reactions