Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before Christmas I did a post entitled Medieval finds from the Castle field, today we had arranged to go on a club dig but we had to drive past the Castle field on the way, As we approached the field we noticed the remaining crop had been removed so we decided if the club dig was no good we could drop back on the Castle field and that's what we did. It was a bit hard going the tractor had left big ruts, my fist decent find was a small roman bronze not quite sure of ID but I think it might be Constantine111 could not get a good picture of this will post a better one later, I worked my way down to the bottom of the field were I made my best find for a long time dating from the Iron age of Britton a Celtic Dragonesque Brooch this is the first piece from this era for me ,unfortunately the bottom of the Brooch and pin are missing but it is still a very rare find. TK ;D

Attachments

• C.jpg
    C.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 3,911
  • Dragonesque Brooch3.jpg
    Dragonesque Brooch3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 3,914
  • Brooch7.jpg
    Brooch7.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 3,888
  • Roman Coin.jpg
    Roman Coin.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 3,882
Upvote 2

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds TK and congrats! Is that dirt in the brooch or some enameling? HH, Mike

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bavaria Mike said:
Awesome finds TK and congrats! Is that dirt in the brooch or some enameling? HH, Mike
Yes Mike it still has traces of enameling here's how it came out the ground 8)

Attachments

• Brooch2.jpg
    Brooch2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 3,823

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Celtic is on my list, no Celtic in 19 years of detecting and I have walked the ground they did. HH, Mike

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bavaria Mike said:
Very nice! Celtic is on my list, no Celtic in 19 years of detecting and I have walked the ground they did. HH, Mike
I have seen these Brooches before and they have come from land heavily occupied by the Romans as was the area this one came from.

folkert

Feb 10, 2004
Germany
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero Germany
Brilliant find, we do not find these brooches so often in Germany. The roman coin is of Valens (364-378 AD), the reverse type should read SECURITAS REIPUBLICAE (as it is the most common reverse type of this emperor). Really nice finds!!

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
folkert said:
Brilliant find, we do not find these brooches so often in Germany. The roman coin is of Valens (364-378 AD), the reverse type should read SECURITAS REIPUBLICAE (as it is the most common reverse type of this emperor). Really nice finds!!
Thanks for the ID on the Roman .....I am not that into iding the Roman Coins as there are that many :-*

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice brooch! Sometimes secondary sites do prove out nicely. . .

Take care & HH!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tyre kicker said:
folkert said:
Thanks for the ID on the Roman .....I am not that into iding the Roman Coins as there are that many :-*

I'm wondering from the picture, is the roman silver plated? I can see its Valens but the letters look like a contemporary fake.

As you pointed out a very rare find even in that condition still worth close to £100 ($200). I have had the odd bit of Celtic but not even a fraction of this desirable brooch.

A VERY GOOD DAY ;D

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
tyre kicker said:
folkert said:

I'm wondering from the picture, is the roman silver plated? I can see its Valens but the letters look like a contemporary fake.

As you pointed out a very rare find even in that condition still worth close to £100 ($200). I have had the odd bit of Celtic but not even a fraction of this desirable brooch.

A VERY GOOD DAY ;D
Could be Crusader at first glance under the soil I thought it was a hammered :-X

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tyre kicker said:
CRUSADER said:
tyre kicker said:
folkert said:

A VERY GOOD DAY ;D
Could be Crusader at first glance under the soil I thought it was a hammered :-X

If its silver plated then its a Roman fake. These are rare & more interesting than the real thing :)

Could be a double bonus day, if its not silver it just has poor lettering ???

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robfinds said:
Nice find, did it come from any further south than Lincolnshire ?.

Robert.
Come from your area Rob... I live just up North from you in Teesside :-*

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robfinds said:
tyre kicker said:
robfinds said:
Nice find, did it come from any further south than Lincolnshire ?.

Robert.
Come from your area Rob... I live just up North from you in Teesside :-*
Nice one, have you had any stycas ?.
Robert.
Yes two both Eanred

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I read this post... and am watching glorious castles in the UK on tv...I am literally drooling... I would so love to in the UK.. my roots... lordy... I am so jeleous.. you guys are so very lucky with such a proud rich heritage let alone the historic end of it...God I love it...thanks for sharing..

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bootybay said:
As I read this post... and am watching glorious castles in the UK on tv...I am literally drooling... I would so love to in the UK.. my roots... lordy... I am so jeleous.. you guys are so very lucky with such a proud rich heritage let alone the historic end of it...God I love it...thanks for sharing..
Hop on a plane and get youself over here ;)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this were a UK site, this would be on the BANNER. ::) (I do appreciate this is a majority US site)

It is not only a very rare find but is his first Celtic find (a personal achievement). What a way to break into the BCs. This is close to 2000 years old with some original enamel.

Do I need to say more.....................?

Would it get more attention if it were a 1700's blank coppa (as some would say)? :-[

Tyre, you know that I know what this find means. You may struggle to bet it this whole year! (Lets hope not) ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread