Roaddog

Jun 8, 2005
Galveston, TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A first!!! Gold coin!!

What a find. I'd say the coin dealer is just trying to steal it from you. Got to be worth more than bullion.

Way to go!!!

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jake thats a good idea where do you go to find out about old compacts I have many and love to know more info about them, do you know of a website?? thanks

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

j.d. in missouri said:
boy I wish the coin dealers were as optimistic as the good people of this forum are :), I was told because of the ding on the face, and the tip of the 1 has a small ding on it, and all the surface scratches on the coin, that its only worth bullion value from a local coin dealer.
I wish I had some of your guys ratings for it!!? jd

Most of them dealers need shot,,,( Crooks ) just don't sell it to him...
Thats a great find, and although the ding probably does take some value away from it, I can't see it hurting it that much...
Good luck with the next one & Happy hunting~

PRAIRIEWOLF

Jun 26, 2005
MINNESOTA
You and your kid found that coin together which now makes it an heirloom . There is no way to put a value on that . It's a good thing it's not mint so you won't be as tempted to sell it . You should write down the whole story then put it in a frame with the coin and hang it on your wall . Your real luck is having a loved one to share it with not in the chunk of metal it's self . Now go out and find another one .

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
I was told because of the ding on the face, and the tip of the 1 has a small ding on it, and all the surface scratches on the coin, that its only worth bullion value from a local coin dealer.

An approximate fair market value on the piece, considering the ding on the front, would be about $400 to $700. I would have to see it in person or at least have a picture of the entire reverse to make a more accurate appraisal. My estimate is based upon actual auction records from the archives on the Heritage website. If I were you, I would send the coin to ANACS to have it certified. I predict that it would grade "AU details, net EF-45"due to the ding in the obverse field. The dealer who told you it is worth bullion value is a con artist, like many others. If you do sell it, submit it to ANACS first and then sell it certified on ebay. That will get the most money for you, and I guarantee that you will get way, way more than its bullion value.

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you guys, for the great advice I am recieving here on the coin. jd

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to thank all of you and W&E for asking me to put this in there best finds issue... hh to all jd

Gigisdiamonds

Mar 18, 2005
Kansas
;D? Hi j.d. You had every guys jaw dropping and tougne hanging out over that coin! LOL :D ;D :D I think they call it "LUST"??? LOL? :P

I'm very happy for you and your son! I agree, you will have it a a great memory with him always! If you have to sell it someday or not. I don't know know what part of Mo. you live in but its not always a easy place to live. I lived up by Branson BEFORE it was a the place it is now. And it was so hard to get a job and get money...well you just never say never to selling it. Ya know?

I'm suprised you found it in a ladies compact! And that you have found so many compacts is again, a suprise!
Did you ever find out more about them?
If you did will you please past me the link?

Seems God has really blessed you! ;D
Gigi

Attachments

• arrow_hearts.gif
    arrow_hearts.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 591

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a find of a lifetime, JD congrats! Tim

S

SASQUASH

Missouri ? I got a small peace of land there by the big lake a place called Gravoce mills. I dont think it is spelled like that but you get the idea. If you want to M.D. there let me know. Hay nice coin. You can have any coins you find I realy like the relics. SAS<><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread