Getting a Little Leg... or Brass Monkey Alert!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Holy BeJeeBeez! Batman! It's Colder than a Well diggers... uhh.. well.. suffice it to say that there's a Brass Monkey Alert out and all the brass monkeys are running scared! Arctic temperatures in the midwest, sleet, snow and ice in the south??? Three inches of snow or better in ATLANTA GEORGIA??? What ever happened to "Global Warming"??? <teeth chattering>
Today, January 20th, 2008 it was 13 degrees Fahrenheit here in central Kentucky, er.. the Louisville area anyway. I drove my wife to that sister city of our home town of Lexington so that she might attend and participate in a training seminar for her non proffit organization. We went up the night before because she had to be there at the butt crack of dawn. Not having anything else to do during the day.. guess what I did? <rolling eyes> Yeah.. I got it bad! Someone would have to be absolutely freaking NUTTS to metal detect in arctic weather conditions. Conditions that would have any sensible half sentient being indoors out of the cold.. so cold that most dogs would rather pee on the rug and take the newpaper swatting rather than run the risk of turning into a fire hydrant popsicle with fur.
Yet there I was... bundled up nice and warm, other than my face anyway. I had my sweatshirt, coat, hat and gloves... trying to keep my face OUT of the wind whenever possible. Of course I did wait till almost noon before venturing out in the cold. I was hoping that the mid day sunshine would warm things up a little.. it didn't. My venue of choice for this frigid day? Well, knowing that the ground would likely be frozen as solid as concrete EVERYWHERE, I pulled up some searches on Google the night before and utilized Google Earth to familiarize myself with this town (metropolitan Louisville). I LOVE Google Earth.. at least the areas where the resolution is good enough to make out landmarks and buildings anyway. I googled public elementary schools, and made myself a list and a route to follow so I could maximize my time detecting... as opposed to wandering around lost and trying to find a likely spot to search. <grin>
I chose elementary schools because most of them have playgrounds with tot lots and woodchips. I figured that I could pick up some clad and other goodies without having to dig too awfully deep if at all. OH BROTHER! Let me tell YOU! WOODCHIPS FREEZE! more like particle board with sawdust on top! <laughing> Still though, I think I did alright.. didn't dig very deep.. very many times. Most of my finds were shallow if not on the surface or just under. Not everything I found was metal though. As you can see from the pictures, I found quite a mix. A little leg? Don't know if it FROZE off some poor unsuspecting Barbi doll or it was ripped off by a cold crazed.. neutered.. brass monkey!

1-20-08 001.jpg

I found quite a bit of clad.. $11.28 (131 coins) in about 3 hours of searching ( between four different schoolyards). There was the usual pencil erasure tips, pull tabs, paper clips, and other little odd bits and pieces of metal. I found this one little star, albeit missing one point.. can anyone identify this piece??

1-20-08 003.jpg

I found some schoolyard "bling"...

1-20-08 004.jpg

a golf ball, checker piece, buttons, a socket, a key, numerous pencils and pens,

1-20-08 006.jpg
and many many bows, ribbons, butterflies, stars, hearts and even teddybears..

1-20-08 008.jpg

hair clasps that is.. many are broken, explaining how they were likely lost, but many are still intact.. hmmm? I wonder if anyone has a collection of these things? Maybe I should make a display case.. like a shadowbox or something. <grin>
Well even a fool like me can take the cold for only so long.. after about 3 hours I had just about had enough. That, and it was time to go back to the hotel and collect my wife and drive back home here to Lexington. I had lost count of the coins I was putting in my finds bag while hunting, so I was quite surprise at the total when I sorted through my finds later. WOW! Brass monkey's might be afraid of the cold, but that cold hard cash is heartwarming to me! Just a few more bucks in the vacation fund for later in the year. <smile> Not to mention all the fun I had discovering all my finds for the day in the first place! Just goes to show you.. if you're willing, the fun is there to be had, no matter what the weather. Here's hoping you all have some fun!

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:D Yes! :D It was even cold in Bama, Fro! :D I think we made it up to 30 today. :P

Grats on those finds! Nana :)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I wouldn't call you crazy. I plan on going out tomorrow after work and the weather dude says it aint supposed to top 35 tomorrow. The ground being frozen is the only thing that slows me down. I put on three layers of clothing and then a jacket. Moving around keeps me warm enough.

Nice hunt.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Wow Frodov! You're killing me on the tot lot clad totals! I drove around two weekends ago trying to find "new" playgrounds. Total miles for the weekend.....250 + miles. Total clad = About $10.00 :'( Hunting stinks around here and the small towns surrounding me.

You always write an outstanding post and I enjoy looking at your finds! Keep up the good work!

HH,
Moon

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Frodov,
Enjoyed the post, my friend. Im glad you got out,a nd found some "new ground". Really good clad total also.
Hope you get to stay home tomorrow, and sip hot stuff.
Tennessee Joe

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Fro,
Mastereagle lost that Princess zipper pull. You better send it to him.

There is this tiny little sparkly bow laying on the ground outside where we work and everytime we walk past it I tell him "Oops, You dropped your hair bow Princess"

He always says "Yeah, and that joke never gets old, does it?" ;D

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Way to get out there Frodo! Great clad total. Can't find the ground here in Michigan & its been in the low teens...even down to 5 degrees so there ain't no way we are getting out. Glad its not too bad where you are.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Well I'm home again, was home when I made my post last night though, but now I'll be hunting in my town this week... if I get the chance. Between doctors' appointments and running errands and usual day to day stuff I may not get to play any this week. *sigh* At least it's supposed to warm up a little.. so we can get some SNOW! <rolling eyes> Maybe it'll melt off before... IF.. I get to go detecting. I'm beginning to like woodchips! <smile> I'm checking out all the local parks and elementary schools, and even some churches in my area via google searches and Google Earth to find as many as I can.. for future adventures in metal detecting. Boy! I can't wait till spring!

Happy Hunting Everyone!.. try to stay warm!

Freezing~ Frodov

oldgold

Oct 16, 2003
Arkansas-USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500/ACE 250-Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that the little star with the WR stands for Winthrop Rockfeller who had an antique car museum in Arkansas. I believe that he was also Governor.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Baldingboy said:
Fro,
Mastereagle lost that Princess zipper pull. You better send it to him.

There is this tiny little sparkly bow laying on the ground outside where we work and everytime we walk past it I tell him "Oops, You dropped your hair bow Princess"

He always says "Yeah, and that joke never gets old, does it?" ;D

No actually I say "At least I have hair to wear it in!" ;D :D

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Careful hunting when it's that cold Bluegrass Man....you might freeze something off besides your coil!! ;D ;D
Nice hunt...good clad number :) :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread