Germany Finds (Part 1) German Nazi cross first find of the year

88irocarmy

Feb 25, 2007
Rhineland Gerrmany
Detector(s) used
Deus XP 3.2
Hope everyone is doing well.
I still digging away at the base here in Germany. The year got of to a good start. The German military cross was the first item dug in 2008 (on New Year's Day). The local parade field is now only giving up deep targets, making me really calibrate the programs.

GOOD STUFF:
German cross, other side has 1939 on it
Some wheat pennies and 1942 nickel
Old pocket knife (French)
Engraved handle for something
Belgian coin (modern)
Bavarian Infantry button
and other stuff

HH

Attachments

• Jan 2008 1.jpg
    Jan 2008 1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,149
  • Jan 2008.jpg
    Jan 2008.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 1,138
Upvote 0

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a german cross and a cubscout neckerchief.........strange.nice finds

castle keep

Oct 23, 2007
ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Any that go bleep !!!!!
Value and age aside as the German Cross has little of either this is what metal detecting is all about i would rather find that than Roman etc 8)

You can buy these pieces but they will never have the same scense of history in your hands as when dug up

I love the pocket knife also ;D

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I can tell that's a fantastic site just from the looks of those great finds you've posted. We'll all be waiting for part II. Thanks for sharing.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excellent finds..wonder out of sheer curosity what that german cross is worth

castle keep

Oct 23, 2007
ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Any that go bleep !!!!!
folkert said:
I absolutely dislike this Nazi stuff, I always throw it away :)

Throwing it away will not change History >:( >:( >:(

In fact ignoring it is a insult to all who died in their hands >:( >:( >:(

Something can still be fascinating without glorifying it as the Romans were just as bad as any modern day tyrant but we would all give our right arm for Roman medals etc ???

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
Back in 66-69 I was stationed in Furth Germany I really loved the people and the countyside I was married there my father-in -law and his brother-in-law and his father fought in ww2 my father-in-law fought in russia the brother was in france died there and the grandpa served in germany my father-in-law and gramps lived through the war my father-in-law was a P.O.W in Russia for 5 years after the war to get to my point is this my Father-in-law and the granddad were some of the BEST PEOPLE that I never met I am PROUD to have know them. they broth wore the german uniform But were never nazis just some great people that you will never meet for when I returned from Vet Nam they treated better than my fellow americans did I am DAMM proud of My in-laws Buck

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
88irocarmy,
I found something that looks exactly like the eagle decorated piece you found. Ironically, I found it yesterday. I measured mine and it is almost right on 1.5" across. It has a threaded screw in the back with a nut on it. I think yours may have that also by the way it sits up in your pic. Do you know what it is? My buddy thought it might be the top for a flag. Anyway, I attached a pic of mine and would love to hear your input.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

Attachments

• metaldetecting12408.jpg
    metaldetecting12408.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 961

folkert

Feb 10, 2004
Germany
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero Germany
castle keep said:
folkert said:
I absolutely dislike this Nazi stuff, I always throw it away :)

Throwing it away will not change History >:( >:( >:(

In fact ignoring it is a insult to all who died in their hands >:( >:( >:(

Something can still be fascinating without glorifying it as the Romans were just as bad as any modern day tyrant but we would all give our right arm for Roman medals etc ???

It was a joke, in fact I do not throw away these items. Of course I report any artefacst like "dog tags" to the INternational REd Cross who check it with their lists of missing soldiers etc. But when you live in an area where you can find badges like the one you have found, after a while it gets"boring". Of real interest are badges of that time which can closely be linked with my hometown.
IN no way I wanted to insult somebody, it was never my intention.

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pointdlr said:
88irocarmy,
I found something that looks exactly like the eagle decorated piece you found. Ironically, I found it yesterday. I measured mine and it is almost right on 1.5" across. It has a threaded screw in the back with a nut on it. I think yours may have that also by the way it sits up in your pic. Do you know what it is? My buddy thought it might be the top for a flag. Anyway, I attached a pic of mine and would love to hear your input.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.
Hey Jon ... it is a US Army Hat Badge (WWII) ... I found one myself about a couple of weeks ago in my daughter's yard ... nice piece ~ Jimmy

954hunter

Dec 10, 2007
Ft. Laud. Fl
Detector(s) used
Excal. II
pointdlr said:
88irocarmy,
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.
A cap device........Air Force, I think.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds! 8) What is the shield looking thing on the bottom left?

Congrats! Nana :)

OP
OP

88irocarmy

Feb 25, 2007
Rhineland Gerrmany
Detector(s) used
Deus XP 3.2
Thanks for all the replies.
The cross is just a neat military relic, it was a nice suprise to find. I really have no special interest in Nazi era items, it was just another blip on the radar of human history.
This was the sum of about 5 hours of digging and the torn crest on the bottom was a US Army crest.

Okay, go out there and show those earth worms who is boss.
HH

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I'm envious of the great fun it must be to find the varied pieces of history there. The German cross is the War Merit Cross, 2nd class. Not worth a whole lot even if it had the loop to attach it to the ribbon it would have originally hung from, but don't get me wrong, I think that's a great find! Is the shield thingie from the cavalry? And what's the button to its left?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread