10 Silvers, Very Interesting Wheatie!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone,

It's been a little while since I posted, but I have still been getting out this month and doing some detecting. Since yesterday, we had 7 straight days of on-off rain here in S. CA. Some areas are very muddy, but very easy digging, and lots of new, deep signals in my pounded areas. Today, I found my 32 nd silver coin of the month so far, along with over 200 wheats. My oldest silver so far is the 1899 barber dime, and my smallest silver ever is the piece of merc in the upper right that I found today. That cut merc sounded like a deep Indian Head penny, so I decided to dig it, and couldn't believe when I saw the small piece of silver coin in my hole.

Another interesting item in my pic is the wheatie that I dug last week. I've never seen another one like it. Have any of you? Looks like there is a picture of a moose on the little silver that is bored into the coin. The carved out area on the top of the coin looks like it was made into a pendant for a necklace. Very unique!!

Thanks for looking.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_2335 (1200 x 900).jpg
    IMG_2335 (1200 x 900).jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 973
  • IMG_2337 (1024 x 768).jpg
    IMG_2337 (1024 x 768).jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 966
  • moose_wheat.JPG
    moose_wheat.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 977
Upvote 0

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
I'd say you've been getting out. Nice bunch of finds so far this year. Hope that wheatie's not a '22 plain... ;D

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Hello, my friend, welcome back to the forum. I still see that you are kicking some butt. Your skills cannot be surpassed!

The rain should give you some nice conductivity. Go seek that deep wilver now!

Take it easy, my friend, I am going to watch American Idol now! :D

Kirk

rcuya0

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2007
The penny is from an abercombie and fitch necklace. I remember another member finding one

Attachments

• im45bd637a30d99.jpg
    im45bd637a30d99.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 937
OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Wow, quick responses on the penny!!

That's exactly what it is. Thanks for identifying the abercrombie penny for me rcuya0 and grasshopper!

Thanks finderzz and Burdie.

Kirk, thanks my friend. I will be watching that show later tonight.

HH,
Dan
CAPTN SE

goldenapples

Aug 23, 2007
So.California
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Sunray X-1 Probe Sunray Gold Phones
Dan, great going on 32 Silvers in way under 29 hunting days with all the rain here lately we should be finding some great deepies ;D

Great ID on the A&F Wheatie im thinking a trip to the shops is in order to get me one of those, I wonder what the chances are of finding a VDB?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan,
I'm having that first picture blown up into poster size for my wall so I can remember what silver looks like. ;)
Great finds my man! A couple unusual ones too.
Hey, can you do a rain dance for me? You guys are getting soaked, and we are in a major drought over here.
Congrats on your finds,
Doug

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks, Jon. If you go out there and pick up one of those necklaces, let me know what you find!!

Thanks Doug. Don't worry. You'll get your silver fix soon, I'm sure.
In the meantime, feel free to do anything you want to my pic. ;D ;D

HH,
Dan
CAPTN SE

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That's a nice batch of finds SE.

I've really been thinking about getting one. Don't get me wrong I love the Dfx Made tons of great old recoveries. But I would like to have a SE also. If Not this yr gonna get one next yr. Keep up the great finds.

HH Jer

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow....And here I am getting all excited about finding one lousy Merc the other day... ;D

Congrats on an awesome haul! Love the Barber.

Cheers and HH,
Bman

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Very nice! Doesn't A&F realize it's illegal to deface a penny? Or at least I think it is! I'm amazed at all the cut coins you find.

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've been doing well Dan. I tried to get out Sunday in the 5o degree temps with a buddy but we lasted only an hour in the nice 50 degree temps. I attempted only 2 targets and it took 30 minutes on each one to get down 5". Never had any ground that hard to chisel in in the last 25 years. It was crazy and all I got were some blisters on my hands...a sore back...and a piece of frozen mud in my eye when it popped off the lesche and nailed me.

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks Bman, poppa19, KirkTN.

Thanks Jer. Yes, I think you will do very well with an SE, just like you've been doing with your DFX.

Yeah, halfdime, I thought it was illegal to deface US coinage also. There are a lot of cut coins in all the parks I hunt. Also a lot of trash. I've been moving my coil real slow in heavy trashy areas. The cut merc was being masked by trash, but I heard the slightly higher tone....sounded like an early wheat or IH, but it could have easily been a piece of wheatie or one of the many bullets I find at these parks.

Wow, Bryce, I feel for you. I know how bad you want to get out there and do some digging. Some areas are getting record cold temps, while others are getting long droughts, while others lots of rain, but I'm sure you'd take the latter two instead of the conditions you have now. Hang in there, bud!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Your doing great, heck you doing fantastic Captn SE. I’m glad you got the moose wheat coin Id'ed. Because of you I am contemplating heavily on getting one of those SE machines :). When I told my wife she said ???, you going to send how much, after that I didn’t know what to say ::).

I'll have to do it under the table so she won't have a fit ;).

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Man, you're the KING of mercs! Nice finds. I found an 1899 Barber dime (along with a merc) myself, on monday. But it's one of the worse I've ever dug. The edge was really worn, and you can really only see the top half of the numbers of the date.
Great finds!

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
THAT is the coolest wheat cent ever! That's my new goal for 2008 ~ find one of those! My original goal was to dig a Barber quarter (14+ years of detecting ~ I still have yet to dig one).

What's the deal with all the cut coins you find? Is it from a lawn mower? The So Cal boys have crazy deadly lawn mowers down there!

NICE FINDS MAN!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions