May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better half is out with the Girls, I have a active social life & I spent my evening with a secret liason, lead cleaning.

After every hunt I sort out the old lead & sick it in a bag. When its dry, like tonite I brush it clean. Claim down everyone I know I'm living the high life, but someone has to do it. ;D

Anyway whilst cleaning I found a piece of lead that turns out to be a Roman Document Seal. Not a Military one otherwise it would be stamped with the unit, so proberly civilian.

This lead is for scrap & its making a pretty penny right now :) One of the few finds I can drag myself to sell.

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,196
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,196
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice spot find, still looks like a lead glob but with some meaning to it, LOL! My last check on lead was something like 0.40 Euro cents per Kilo, not even close enough in price for me to scrape the dirt and oxidation off then drive it to the scrap yard which I drive past every day to and from work, LOL. HH, Mike

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bavaria Mike said:
Nice spot find, still looks like a lead glob but with some meaning to it, LOL! My last check on lead was something like 0.40 Euro cents per Kilo, not even close enough in price for me to scrape the dirt and oxidation off then drive it to the scrap yard which I drive past every day to and from work, LOL. HH, Mike

I've been offered £1.30 for 1kg, but then I get plenty of lead

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
Back in the '50s, a neighborhood buddy of mine & I made regular trips to the Police Pistol Range & "cleaned-up"!

We were able to collect/sell enough to finance our Boy Scout trip to the Valley Forge Jamboree.

We melted ours down tho...sometimes wonder what those fumes have done to the old body?!

1960texan

Dec 6, 2007
Texas
Back in the '50s, a neighborhood buddy of mine & I made regular trips to the Police Pistol Range & "cleaned-up"!

We were able to collect/sell enough to finance our Boy Scout trip to the Valley Forge Jamboree.

Reminds me of my next door neighbor when we were kids. Some people are just born thinking outside of the box.

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome seal.
I also love lead. / Shows as silver on my detector.
Here in NC, USA it`s going for 6 cents a pound ;D

O

ohannos

Oh my god it is beautiful!!
Ok maby not exactly beautiful but an interesting piece to the collection and a very welcomed surprice i imagine. Do anyone know the kilo price on that old lead?

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Cool. I haven't found any lead yet. Plenty of iron though. :P

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
CRUSADER said:
Better half is out with the Girls, I have a active social life & I spent my evening with a secret liason, lead cleaning.

After every hunt I sort out the old lead & sick it in a bag. When its dry, like tonite I brush it clean. Claim down everyone I know I'm living the high life, but someone has to do it. ;D

Anyway whilst cleaning I found a piece of lead that turns out to be a Roman Document Seal. Not a Military one otherwise it would be stamped with the unit, so proberly civilian.

This lead is for scrap & its making a pretty penny right now :) One of the few finds I can drag myself to sell.
£700 a tonne not bad going I reckon

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing the same Saturday afternoon and spotted a Roman bronze among the crud ;)

Bruce Dickinson

Jan 23, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Recently found a 36 lb. of lead behing my garage under four inches of soil. Took it to the scrap yard and got 45 cents a lb. for it.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flying Hellfish said:
Recently found a 36 lb. of lead behing my garage under four inches of soil. Took it to the scrap yard and got 45 cents a lb. for it.

Over here its the old lead over 200 years old they are looking for as its purer.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robfinds said:
Are there any markings on the seal ?. Be careful with the old lead it can be nasty.

HH- Robert

No markings

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread