Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ill bet theres some old stuff there

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
Is it just me or is the dime on the right in your first pic is the wrong size? Whats goin' on there?
Other than that you did well!!!! 8) 8)

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
Johny ringo I think you are right. Looks like some kind of mint error. Note how the date and the top of Ike's head are chopped off compared to the dime on the left. I think I know what the deal is with the coin. When I was a youngun I used to service washers and dryers. Coins would get stuck inside the paddles and tossed around forever, causing the rims to become flatened, much like you would do to make coin ring.

wirebender

Sep 11, 2007
California
I have a few coins like this one,, they are the starts of the ring process... look up spooning on google. it's a nifty way to make a ring out of a coin.

marcus

rebelLT said:
Johny ringo I think you are right. Looks like some kind of mint error. Note how the date and the top of Ike's head are chopped off compared to the dime on the left. I think I know what the deal is with the coin. When I was a youngun I used to service washers and dryers. Coins would get stuck inside the paddles and tossed around forever, causing the rims to become flatened, much like you would do to make coin ring.

bnsfhobo

Aug 29, 2007
Oklahoma City
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's M6
Great finds!!!

What is the last item that you photographed. I dug one of those in my backyard, was like a jar top with a glass insert..

I have wondered what I had found and didn't even want to try and describe it on the list.

Hugh

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
Thats either a mint "oops" or a bad counterfeit. Looks off color and grainy..... hmmmm.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
wirebender said:
I have a few coins like this one,, they are the starts of the ring process... look up spooning on google. it's a nifty way to make a ring out of a coin.

marcus

rebelLT said:
i agree, but should use silver coin to make a ring.

OP
OP
RoyCollins

RoyCollins

Jan 10, 2008
Knoxville,Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
The dime on the right has a copper band around it and the dime inside is tight could not move it at all, I was hoping someone could would see it ,and tell me if they have seen one before and your right it grainy like it was in sand at one time the whole thing is smaller than the real dime

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureTales said:
bnsfhobo said:
Great finds!!!

What is the last item that you photographed. I dug one of those in my backyard, was like a jar top with a glass insert..

I have wondered what I had found and didn't even want to try and describe it on the list.

Hugh

It's a canning jar lid with a milk glass insert for sealing the contents.

And there were some milk glass inserts that had pictures molded in and even painted (on the outside). THOSE are valuable. All milk glass inserts are worth keeping.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
RoyCollins said:
The dime on the right has a copper band around it and the dime inside is tight could not move it at all, I was hoping someone could would see it ,and tell me if they have seen one before and your right it grainy like it was in sand at one time the whole thing is smaller than the real dime
Wirebender, Rebel & I have been trying to tell you. That dime was spooned by someone in the beginning stages of making a ring. Or it was tumbled in a dryer or washer water pump. The reason the edge looks copper because any dime after 64 is copper clad. It is all one piece. I remember riding the bus to school and back as a kid and other kids would beat on silver coins with a spoon to make rings. It was quite annoying.

http://hermes.csd.net/~coneca/content/InTheNews.htm ...scroll down.

"Oh, No It Ain't ...!!" #31
"Spooned Coins" Fool Many Newcomers
by Ken Potter -- NLG

`
Photos courtesy of Robert "Murphy" Tingle SpoonedCentObv300px.jpg

September 12, 2004 -- One of the more exotic alterations that almost all errorists will encounter at some point in their travels is what I refer to as a "Spooned Coin" (for lack of anything better to call them at this point.) Robert "Murphy" Tingle of New Albany, Indiana sent in images of one to share with readers. He affectionately refers to it as his "elephant man cent." He was told it was made, "after minting by the process called spooning. It is smaller than a normal cent ... and the edge is very smooth and rounded, as if tapped many times by a spoon."

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
WELL DONE Roy ,,Thats a lot of Clad ,,outstanding!!! guzz1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread