I wasnt born with a silver spoon in my mouth...

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth...

But the person who dropped this may very well have. ;D

I actually found this Wm. Rogers silver spoon several weeks ago in a sidewalk easement a few feet from the easement where I had found a 1911 Barber dime a couple months ago. This was in front of a house that was built in 1910, so the spoon itself could be relatively old. I tucked the spoon away because I wanted to do a bit of research on it but was unable to find a similar spoon on the internet. Maybe someone a bit more knowledgeable can shed some light on this spoon. Now I'm off to go get a Starbuck's Venti Café Mocha and hit an empty lot with an old house foundation. ;)

Ray

Attachments

• silverspoon1.jpg
    silverspoon1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 438
  • silverspoon2.jpg
    silverspoon2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 442
Upvote 0

happymikeyone

Jun 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
Re: I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth...

nice spoon ray not sure about the history but silver is nice wtggg :)

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

That is indeed a very nice spoon and a hard find to make in my book. Although I have gobs of plated flatware, I’ve never found a solid silver eating utensil, great find. Try looking up William Rogers Silverware or Flatware, hope this helps. OH, it pre dates 1900, that for sure.
Thanks for sharing.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

The mark Wm. Rogers Mfg Co was used after 1865 by William and his son William Jr. and later by the International Silver Company

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+

Thanks for the info, folks. Interestingly enough, I cleaned up the spoon and found that it is not sterling silver but only silver plated. Take a look at rim of the spoon. You can clearly see it is plated silver. I was wondering why there wasn't sterling silver stamp on the back of it, and now I know why. Still, that doesn't help me identify the type or its date. I did some more searching but still couldn't find my spoon online.

Ray

Attachments

• silverspoon3.jpg
    silverspoon3.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 331

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions