227-Year-Old SILVER--ANOTHER CW Powder Flask! More Photos Added Below!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I'm back after another exciting hunt with some great things to share with all of you. Foxhound and I have been hunting a site that just keeps giving up the old relics and coins. The first hunt there, we cleared out a lot of iron, finding only "newer" items from the Teens and Twenties. Later on, flat buttons and pewter spoon handles started coming up, so we knew that there could be some real oldies there. We got out on the site yesterday with only an few hours of daylight remaining. Immediately, the flat buttons and pewter pieces started surfacing. I was using super-low discrimination--even digging occasional smaller iron--just to make sure I was getting everything I could on this already-pounded site. A few harmonica reeds and flat buttons into the hunt there, I got an "iffy" signal that only read in one direction. Flipping out a shovelful of earth, the signal immediately improved. (This is normally all it takes to tell if a target is small iron or not ;) ) Within a few seconds, I could see a thin disc encrusted in dirt and let me tell you my heart started racing! Any of you who have ever dug a Reale will understand what the look of such a thin disc means...they're too thin to be buttons or coins of any other kind. Although I didn't take a photo of the coin in the dirt, here's what it looked like before cleaning:

Powder Flask Number Two...jpg

And after some cleaning, the coin turned out to be a 1781 1 Reale piece in nice shape:

Reale Dirty.jpg

Reale Reverse.jpg

I also managed to bag a few pieces of pottery, one badly toasted pewter button, a Silver-Dollar-sized flat button (this one is absent from the photo as I was still cleaning it, but I'll post a photo of it below), and an Indian Head Cent with a square nail hole in the center:

Reale Obverse.jpg

IH Reverse.jpg

Here's the photo of all of the finds (minus the Dandy Button):

IH Obverse.jpg

As promised, here's the Dandy Button I found--all cleaned up. So you can see how big it is, I placed a dug quarter from last year beside it.

Dang, Das A Big But-tin! It looks like someone turned it into a pendant or tag after the shank broke off. I'm going with pendant, since the hole is obviously carefully made. Of course, this button was likely plated with silver or gold once upon a time, so I'm sure it would've made an attractive pendant. Here are photos of the front and back:

Colonial All.jpg

Das a Big Button.jpg

And here is a close-up of an interesting piece of stamped brass I found. This is a fragment of yet another powder flask from the site. (If you're interested in reading about the first 1850's powder flask and CW Eagle Button, please follow this link: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,138400.0.html

Below the photo of the fragment, you'll see the photo of an non-dug example that is identical, with a link to the site the non-dug photo is from. It is an early Civil War Remington Revolver Powder Flask! On the website, a non-dug example lists for almost $1300.00!

Button Reverse.jpg
Powder Flask Number Two...jpg
http://www.vincaponihistoricantiques.com/viewpics.php?cat=6&sect=cwm&pic=2034&itemid=299

Regards,

Buckleboy

Regards,

Buckleboy

Attachments

• Powder Flask Number Two Undug.jpg
    Powder Flask Number Two Undug.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,121
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Buckleboy Strikes 227-Year-Old SILVER!

Mona Lisa said:
Fantastic job, Buckleyboy! :o :o

Lots of people assume that you're just lucky or that you just walked on to that site and popped out a reale....but there's plenty of detecting hours put in cleaning out a site like that. You were really determined to find the good stuff.

Congrats!! - :)

True. Research hours, time spent talking to the property owner and old timers, plus the time spent cleaning the BIG IRON out of a site. This one wasn't bad, because it was plowed (so farmers over the years had done most of the work of tossing out the scrap iron). The worst plowed site I had ever had to clear out was one my buddy Rodeo Recon and I hit last fall. We dug between 50 and 60 POUNDS of iron out of it and had to cart it away to dispose of it. When we finally got it cleared out enough by diggin all of that iron, we only got one coin--the needle in the haystack. It was a V Nickel. :-\ So yeah--ya gotta remove the big stuff to find the small stuff.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Re: 227-Year-Old SILVER--More Photos Added Below!

Buck,

You are the professor that I never had! :'( ;) :D Thanks for being that person. :D

Kirk

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super finds! Congrats. :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your kind replies.

HH,

Buckleboy

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,
Super hunt!!! Some great Hoosier finds. Congrats on the Reale. What a great find. I read your reply about your meter only reads "beep" ;D. Sounds like you were using the Umax?
Way to go Will.
-Doug-

Buckleboys Dad

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2007
:) Great BB! I am very proud of you and your achievement(s). It amazing how many finds there are out there just waiting to be found by those who research and persevere. I am glad to read all your posts and celebrate with you! BB's Dad (A longtime supporter...)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckleboys Dad said:
:) Great BB! I am very proud of you and your achievement(s). It amazing how many finds there are out there just waiting to be found by those who research and persevere. I am glad to read all your posts and celebrate with you! BB's Dad (A longtime supporter...)

Welcome BB's Dad.
Quite a son you got there. ;D
-MM-

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckleboys Dad said:
:)   Great BB!  I am very proud of you and your achievement(s).  It amazing how many finds there are out there just waiting to be found by those who research and persevere.  I am glad to read all your posts and celebrate with you!   BB's Dad (A longtime supporter...)

Well I'll be danged!  It took a REALE good find to bring you out of hiding  :D  Thanks for all your help in the past, all the gasoline to drive us sites before I had my license, the meals out on digging trips, the time spent talking about metal detecting...  The word "supporter" doesn't even do the past justice. 

A BIG welcome to you--I hope you'll be sticking around and posting more on this fine forum. 

-Buckleboy

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Buckleboys Dad said:

AWESOME!!!

Welcome Buckleboy's Dad! :) I still have that magazine cover with you and Buckles on it! :) Hahahahaha... Glad to see ya here, yer boy is a great fella.

MAG COVER.JPG

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Montana Jim said:
Buckleboys Dad said:

AWESOME!!!

Welcome Buckleboy's Dad! :) I still have that magazine cover with you and Buckles on it! :) Hahahahaha... Glad to see ya here, yer boy is a great fella.
Thank's for the enlargement Jim!......BuckleBoy....that tree put's an even bigger smile on my face when it's up close.I never knew that was Mr. BB in you avatar,that even make's it better.....Welcome BuckleBoy's Dad!!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Buckleboys Dad said:

Hi Buckleyboy's Dad!! It's great to meet you!!

I adore your son. He's a good boy. ~~~mona pinching Will's cheeks~~ :-X

Can I adopt him?? ;) :) :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL Now you guys are embarrassing me... :P There will be no cheek-pinchings or adoptions. :D

Fisher

Sep 24, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Re: Buckleboy Strikes 227-Year-Old SILVER!

kindafoundabuckle said:
Or as Bill Lumberg would say, um yeah. Whats happening? Say could you stop detecting so much and leave some for the rest of us? Um yeah that would be great yeah. And say those are some great pictures also um yeah. Im going to go ahead and ask you if you could take me with you next time that would be great yeah. Thanks a bunches.

KFB

I'd bet BuckleBoy was showing his O-face when he pulled that out! :D
Great finds...congrats and HH

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude that is arguably one of the most beautiful sights in the world! Good research and time and effort and it pays off. You took the time to clean all that old iron and modern trash from the surface and you were rewarded for it! :o It will be REALE hard to beat that piece....both historically and intrinsically!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) :o :o

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Welcome, BBdad, I am glad to have another genius on this forum to call out the bluffs. ;) :D

Your son is a genius as well! :D ;D :)

Kirk

P.S. Ask your son about the times when he and I made some good calls on some finds. ;) :D

Buckleboys Dad

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2007
BB, Way to go on your last find and post! You will have to rent a spot at Fort Knox....just kidding. I am proud of you. BB Dad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread