I Never Knew I Had A Fortune............Until Now Contains Gold Coin,1800s Coins

P

PrizmIV

I was at my grandmothers a few days ago (i see her about 3 times a week) and she asked me what was i going to do when i left her house. I said I was going to hopefully go find some old coins with my MD. She goes, "I never told you this and have never really thought of it but your great grandfather (dead) had a coin collection.". "When he died your great grandfather (dead) felt like that collection symbolized your grandfather (he was a history buff and collected old Nazi stuff like that) so he kept vigours adding to the collection until he got to old." My great grandfather never spent a dime nor told anyone how much money he had. Surprisingly when he died he had a large sum. (which we thought he did) Then i asked where are the coins? She goes "You know how he never really told any one of his fortunes or anything he owned?" And i was think o no she doesn't know where it is. I said yes i know she said back i remember where it is. She goes its in a safety deposit box. Then she sits and ponders and goes no, its in THREE safety deposit boxes. So my grandmother has three safety deposit boxes full of old coins.And I'm the sole beneficiary of these coins (only grandson.) This was YEARS ago when the collection started. I imagine the collection started around in the 40s. I don't know of any particular coins or values but i think in the near future I'm going to go pay the bank a little visit. Thought? I would share JONATHAN.? ;D

Upvote 0

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Re: I Never Knew............Until Now!!!

You must MUST keep us posted on this! Inquireing minds want to know! Post pics! HH omnicognic 8)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I Never Knew I Had A Fortune............Until Now!!!

I let us know what happens, post images!

Attachments

• money2.gif
    money2.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 989
  • money2.gif
    money2.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 995
T

tank

tell me about the old military stuff!!!

twister

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2005
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I want to see it al

HH (or banking) LOL

Twister

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine

are you sure the fees have been paid on those safety deposit boxes lately, if not the bank could have claimed them and sold them at auction long ago :( , boy that would suck.

i remember someone telling me about a website where you can see if you or your family may be owed money from forgotten bank accounts,mis-placed assets,insurance policies, overpaid taxes, and such,...
i think it was either lostmoney.com or foundmoney.com , it's worth checking into :)

Pat.

OP
OP
P

PrizmIV

No, it has been paid for because all the boxes my family owns are under one bank, one bill. But, it has been years since anyone in our family has touched them.

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine

cool, post some pics so we can all drool over the stash ;D

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004

Great story Prism,First let me say I hope your grandmother lives for MANY MANY MORE YEARS,No greater treasure then to have her around.I have lost all of mine.Hope you can get a pic up, It would bee coll to see whats in the boxs.

H :)AVE YOU HUGED YOUR GRANDMOTHER TODAY?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1983 Carson City Nevada my secretary came to me crying,her neighbor of 20+ years,80+ years old,was being evicted from her house because crankster son has cleaned her out and stole SS checks. Could I help. Went to the house EMPTY except a mattress on the floor and the son of a )(*&^% cleaned it ALL out. In the trash was generic CATFOOD cans-she'd been living off day old bread and tuna cat food!! She found a key to something and could I find out what it was?? She banked at Nevada Savings,so I took a cop I was dating and went to the bank,after calling and paying 2 years back rent on the box,and took a peek. It was a HUGE safe deposit box CRAMMED full of SILVER and GOLD coins!! Over 2,200 coins and over 80% of the rarest Carson City mintage I've ever seen!!! Bought 3-$20.00 gold pieces,hired a lawyer,got a court appointed trustee,and threw the crankster in jail,she saved her house and in them days-20 years ago,the stash was appraised at over $4 million.She wanted to sell them ALL to me for $5k to save her house and buy a little food??No way!!!YYYEEEESSSS I sure slept good after that. She was living in style and son got killed in the joint,poor baby!!Tons a au 2 u 2-John :o

R

rusty nails

nice story - God Bless your Grandmother - I would keep anonimous - and not tell too many people what u have -
nuff said - Lefty Bass

R

rvbvetter

WOW!! That's great! I'm thinking if it was started in the 40's, there might be considerably
older coins in there. Congrats!! HH

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Prizm - Cool story neighbor! Our older generation is a wonderful resource. You never know what you'll find out when you talk them about days gone by.

Kent

OP
OP
P

PrizmIV

Re: I Never Knew I Had A Fortune............Until Now!!! UPDATE!!!!!!!

Good New Guys, Im going to the box today. My coin book and my camera are also going! ;D HH Jonathan

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004

Great,look forward to your next post.Lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$LUCK ;D

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250

Well stop posting and start opening! ?Best wishes for the good stuff, can't wait to hear and see what you find.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread