Day 3 - Church Field Finished......try else where....

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finished the Church field in 3 hours with nothing better than an 1820s Farthing & a Victorian button (1st Picture). We are glad to cross this off the list & will not bother with it again.

It was T-Shirt weather even after the sun dipped below the horizon ;D

Spent a further 2 hours on a very large grass field where we had the Bronze Age Axe last year. Did a lot better here;
3 scrappy roman coins
Broken Roman Brooch
Maybe the tip of a Bronze Age sword/dagger 8)

Plus on the last but one run I got a 1697 sixpence. Pretty good nick for this period when all the others I have are smooth & bent into love tokens.

So a little better finish to the day :)

Attachments

• church.JPG
    church.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 665
  • 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 656
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 652
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 628
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 624
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 596
Upvote 0

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
still very nice digs and history you pulled. Thanks for posting it so I could see and good luck on your next site

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one heck of a hunt crusader..excellent as usual to me.. wtg

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Crusader, that crotal bell looks very medieval. Nice hunt and HH, Mike

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, we will hit the big grass field next (the one we finished on in this post). I think with alot of hard work & time we will find something a bit more rewarding. The runs we are doing are 250metres before the turn around, & this is still only a fraction of the field.

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
I know the potential for ancient coins there are far greater than here but those are nothing to scoff at!!Congrats man!!! Bootstrap

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader,
Thanks for sharing. I'd be happy with any of those finds. Good luck on your next spot. Looking forward to it.
Cheers,
MM

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work, Crusader. I'd take a "scrappy Roman" any day of the week. Nice silver find too--even though it isn't Roman or Celtic.

Now--are the fields in your parts still layed out in long, narrow strips? I am aware that Medieval fields were in this shape because the wheeled plow (such a technological wonder of its age) was hard to turn around. I assume this is what you mean by the "turn around."

Second question--do you typically make more Medieval finds at the turn around, since that is where they would've struggled with the plow, perhaps unhitching the horses to give them a break from the hard work?

Thanks in advance for indulging my curiosity...

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Nice work, Crusader. I'd take a "scrappy Roman" any day of the week. Nice silver find too--even though it isn't Roman or Celtic.

Now--are the fields in your parts still layed out in long, narrow strips? I am aware that Medieval fields were in this shape because the wheeled plow (such a technological wonder of its age) was hard to turn around. I assume this is what you mean by the "turn around."

Second question--do you typically make more Medieval finds at the turn around, since that is where they would've struggled with the plow, perhaps unhitching the horses to give them a break from the hard work?

Regards,

Buckleboy

'Turn around' means just that. The point at which we decide to turn around & detect along side where we have come from. Its the end of the grid. My point here was that instead of the unusual 100m grid we have a much larger field & area to cover. This field was not plough until Victorian times as the clay is far too heavy to have been ploughed by old technology. Therefore finds are limited.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
BuckleBoy said:

Regards,

Buckleboy

'Turn around' means just that. The point at which we decide to turn around & detect along side where we have come from. Its the end of the grid. My point here was that instead of the unusual 100m grid we have a much large field & area to cover. This field was not plough until Victorian times as the clay is far too heavy to have been ploughed by old technology. Therefore finds are limited.

I see. Thank you, Crusader.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread