Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a beautiful awesome day here in Germany, sunny and in the low 50sF/11C. A work colleague and I did a road trip to France for some quick shopping and a little culture, had fun there but the shopping center was a mad house full of people. Walked into the store and the whole place wreaked of a fishy smell, I soon found the fresh open fish market within the store and it was an awesome site, some great looking seafood but I could not buy anything as we did not have a cooler, the prices were not exorbitant but this is Europe. Just down the road about 8 miles from my apartment we saw these strange formations along a wood line so we stopped to check it out, they are near a Celtic Fortress. My friend and I both knew they are tank stoppers or Dragon’s Teeth. I may go detect around that area tomorrow.
9Feb08dragonteethF.jpg

Here are the Dragon’s Teeth up close, the bigger teeth are about 3.5’/120cm high, 5 rows of them staggered. I would assume they are from WWII.
9Feb08dragonteethC.jpg

This is the French/German border. We are driving back into Germany here. No passports or stopping here. There was a big ugly truck in front of us driving into France and that picture did not come out well.
9Feb08FrenGermbord.jpg

On the way back into Germany we stopped by Neunkirchen, a big and once very industrial city. Much of Germany’s WWII iron was produced here until it was heavily bombed destroying much of the factory. Erich Honecker, the President of East Germany before the wall came down was born here. I was surprised to learn that. Here are a few pictures of what is left of the iron works factory, it is an industrial monument. A large shopping center/Mall was built on the grounds of the old iron factory. This looks to have been a furnace.
9Feb08022IronR.jpg

Another massive tower to the left.
9Feb08022IronL.jpg

A massive wheel attached to large pistons, not sure what it was used for, maybe for pumping the heated liquid steel. It would be interesting to see how this factory operated.
9Feb08wheel.jpg

An old coal burning steam train used to pour molten steel.
9Feb08train.jpg

This tower behind the old iron factory was probably a bomb shelter for the factory workers. Many of these type shelters were erected around industrial cities during WWII. It is much larger than it looks in the picture.
9Feb08phallic.jpg

And right in the middle of the iron factory, with an extra large phallic tower sticking up out of the restaurant is Germany’s first Hooters. I think the owner’s had a good laugh when they built this one. I should have taken a panoramic picture of this place, Hooters is right in the middle of several phallic objects. We had lunch here a few months ago, nice place, good sports bar food, reasonable prices and uhh, Hooters. We did not go in today although we planned on it. We had a big egg, bacon and toast brunch at my place before we got on the road and had several snacks in France so we were not hungry, for food, LOL.
9Feb08Hooters.jpg

We had a great day and road trip. My friend dropped me off at the apartment and I still had about a good hour of daylight left so I went and detected an older American military housing area down the street. I only found two hot wheel cars and that was it!!! An older lady stopped by and asked what I was looking for and I was honest, just some coins from when the Americans were here I told her. She said there were no Americans living in the apartment complex and I told her I had researched the area, the Americans lived here up until around 1995 and there was an Army airfield post just a few hundred meters away, the airfield is still active and civilians use it now, planes were taking off as I was talking to her. She asked me if I was from the police and what I was investigating, I told her I am not from the police, investigating nothing and what I was doing is just a hobby. I don’t think she believed me. So anyway, here are some French goodies I have been snacking on, French bread, Parmesan cheese and fresh garlic cloves in olive oil along with a bottle of Bordeaux region French wine. HH, Mike
9Feb08Frenchdinner.jpg

Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to see pics of germany and france :)

HH
-GC

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Nice going!!

Hey, I like the idea of taking a snapshot of your meals.
One friend did that for his trip to France and wow!

(Mmm - I think it's dinner time!)

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post as usual Mike! Love the pics, tour and the history lesson.

thanks,

Joe G

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Hey Mike. No hot wheel pics? ;) Seems like anyplace over there could have good stuff. But I guess you still need to do some homework and have some luck.

Bob

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
yep that tower was a bomb shelter. There is one of these by these old railroad works between vogelweh and kaiserslautern. Not too many of them around :) Dragons teeth are cool. They were prob part of the first line of the siegfried line defense, that was close to the border. The second line of the siegfried line is closer to me, in lambsborn.. the main road though the town still has dragons teeth on either side of the road :) cool stuff!

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Very cool road trip but I would have really liked to see the hooters (girls)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions