Eagle Flat Button, Indian Head, Token & Musket Balls; It Was A Good Day!!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Eagle Flat Button, Indian Head, Token & Musket Balls; It Was A Good Day!!

Hello All,

I got out again today with BuckleBoy and Rodeo Recon to the same site that BB found that KILLER 1850 Militia Belt Plate yesterday. The first thing I pulled out was an 1895 Indian Head cent. After a little time passed I pulled out 4 dropped .32 cal. musket balls and two flat buttons (one with an eagle on the back). I've never dug that many musket balls in one hunt! I also found this neat two-piece rail road(?) button that says "P. C. C. & St. L. R'Y". Does anyone know what these letters stand for? After a little longer of hunting we saw a couple of dogs running around so we decided that it might be a good time to leave. He headed down the long driveway to the 1870s mansion mentioned in a previous post and talked to the land owner and got the go ahead to hunt the yard. I pulled out a 1920 wheat on a path that lead around the side of the house. Then I got a really good signal that read like a silver quarter and out popped this really cool Palmolive "Free Cake" token for a bar of soap.

And now on to the questions. One of the flat buttons that I found had the backmark "IMPERIAL LONDON STANDd.", However, it also has an AMERICAN eagle impressed on the back. Does anyone know why this BRITISH button would have an AMERICAN Eagle on it? Could it be military? If so, what era? Please let me know. Thanks and HH!!

Fox

Attachments

• finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 488
  • flatbutton2.jpg
    flatbutton2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 493
  • button.jpg
    button.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 486
Upvote 0

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Eagle Flat Button, Indian Head, Token & Musket Balls; It Was A Good Day!!

That wasnt a good day it was a great one...aa

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes! I'd say it was a good day. Well done.

Ken

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

In 1928, Palmolive Peet joined the Colgate Company to create the Colgate-Palmolive-Peet Company. In 1953, the company's name was simplified to Colgate-Palmolive. Among the tokens the Palmolive Peet Co. issued was a round token GOOD FOR / ONE CAKE / PALMOLIVE / SOAP FREE / WHEN YOU BUY / ONE CAKE.

A great article (including above quote) on soap tokens, including yours, is found here:
http://www.coinworld.com/news/121503/bw_1215.asp
Don.....

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks for all the replies and great info on the token and button. Does anyone have any clue about the button? I looked at it a little closer and found that it has an anchor under one of the wings. I'll try to get a better picture of it. Thanks again and HH!!

Fox

ce560xl

Apr 14, 2009

Just found a similar button...same wording, but no "eagle" as far as I can tell. Nothing so far on the manufacturer but searching....will watch this post. Good finds!

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice button, Congradulations.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Foxhound:
You originally asked about an 'American Eagle' on the button. Could it possibly be an Imperial Eagle found throughout Europe, including England? And doesn't the "French Imperial Eagle' also look very similar to the "American Eagle" to which you may be referring? Take a look at image #214 to see what I'm referring to.

http://books.google.com/books?id=47...j8GuCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9

Don....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread