Bird Band info recieved

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I went on a trip recently, and found a bird band. There were no bones nearby, so I figured it was from a long time ago. I gave it to the nature center on the island where I stayed, and I just recieved an email back about it.
Sorry, no pic b/c I gave it to them.
"Hi !
You left a note at the Nature Center regarding a bird band that you found on Little Neck Crossing. Yes, it is a bird band and it was on a quail !!
What makes this find very unique is that Gordon Mobley did quail banding only in the 1970’s !!!! So, this is an old band. We of course no longer have quail hunting on XXXXX Island, that stopped in the mid 1990’s.
So, good for you on a great find!!"

I read a post a while back where someone had found one of these. How common are they to find?
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

Upvote 0

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey thats pretty cool! I had a friend up in missouri that shot a goose while hunting and it had a band on its leg. I feel bad for the goose but still was neat to see the band. Not sure how common it is though.

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
Jon,
Here is a website that may help you (or anyone else who finds a band). I'm not a banding expert but have "harvested" a number of geese with bands and also work with a guy that used to band them. According to him, anyone that bands a bird is required to register the numbers they are using, the species, and other pertinent information. That info is kept in a National database so that it can be obtained for "research" purposes.
If you kept the i.d. number (or can still get it) you can report it to the National Bird Band facility, they will send you a certificate with the information on the bird it came from - if of course it was properly reported.

Hope this helps, also, visit the website, there is a lot of cool info on there.
http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/homepage/call800.htm

OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Thanks for the info on the site. I emailed the woman back and asked for the numbers on the band. If she responds, I'll post the link to the info on the bird.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson

OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Re: Bird Band info recieved- UPDATE on band

Here is the info I recieved back on the tag. Thought some might be interested.

These tags that were put on quail here on xxxx Island (Plantation (SIP) were not put in a National Database. They were used locally and for the individual plantation managers (Gordon Mobley). I heard Chelsea Plantation (across the marsh from us) might still do this. Pleasant Hill (where xxxxx Island hunts quail now) does not tag quail. Gordon Mobley kept his own personal records with tagged quail. He died in 1995. It is still a good artifact to find in that tagging quail here was discontinued in the early 1980’s !! And has not been done since.

The number on this tag is: 67 SIP 924

Hope this helps with your detective work.

Lisa

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Good luck. Last year I found a band from a racing pigeon. I was able to track down the club it came from and the person that ran the club but could never get any other info. I offered to send the band back to the owner of the bird but that person never called back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread