cannon ball????????

umplestan

Feb 12, 2008
???
Ok folks:
I was raised in Eastland County, Tx. in a small town named Cisco,Tx. For the life of me, i cannot remember exactly where and when i found this round thing. We vacationed in all surrounding states, and visited Lubbock, Dallas/Fortworth, Corpus, areas a lot. My Pa also was an avid Native American treasure hunter and our family would spend endless hours in the surrounding country and i still have many artifacts and odd shaped rocks that we found. Can you imagine hauling all this stuff around for 50 yrs, and i now live in CA. What a pack rat.
I can remember playing catch with my brother and pitching this sphere in the air and catching, throwing against the barn to see what damage it would do, or anything else a young boy would do with a hardball size round object. And today i was going through a box of old stuff trying to down size as i am fixin to retire and low and behold i came across this mysterious iron ball. Now days, being that this is 1/2 a century later, you can run right to a web site and learn stuff, and i think i am probably lucky to have the fingers to type this with. O and by the way, i can hear stuff inside it when i shake it next to my ear. Havn't gained much common since have i.
It is 21/4" in diamiter and weighs about 2-3 lbs. Pitted with rust. I cannot locate the fuse hole or a place to fill the interior of the ball. Will take a picture and post asap.

Umplestan

Upvote 0

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Welcome to Tnet Umplestan,as for the mysterious sphere i haven't a clue but with a picture someone here can give you insight to what it is.Even if it turns out to be something mundane the memories of your father is a treasure in itself.

HH
Shawn

OP
OP
U

umplestan

Feb 12, 2008
Whoomp...here-it-is

Attachments

• cannonball.JPG
    cannonball.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 488
OP
OP
U

umplestan

Feb 12, 2008
Thanks for the quick response.
What shall i do to determine if it is a C-ball?
Stan

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Just because there is no fuse hole does not mean it's NOT a cannonball... they chucked plenty of solid shot back and forth at each other in the past!

It most likely IS a cannonball. A person knowledgeable about bore sizes should come along, soon...
What is the history of the area found?
That could help date it, and match it with a weapon of the day.

Only option I can think of for that shape & material would be for use in a mining operation's ball mill.
Has there been mining in the area?

I've got a 10lb shotputt out in the yard for our boys to toss around when the frisbee ends up on the roof.
It's quite a bit larger, the weight is cast upon it, and there is a square hole for setting the weight accurately.
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread