Pewter Horse Rosette and stuff

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been snake bit this week on finding any old coins, just some clad coins dropped by hunters, but a good relic always makes a hunt very successful and today I got a large beautiful Pewter Horse Rosette. I never found one this big, nor made of high quality pewter. I did clean this one since it was kind of ugly as it came out of the ground and I am even thinking of getting my dremel out and see if I can get the dirt out of those nooks and crannies and really make it look good.

I have no idea of the age of this one, I found it at that homestead where I got my 1723 King George I in January but also an 1900s Indianhead penny, so LOL, it could be from 18th -20th century, I just don't know.

I hit two other homesteads this week and at one only managed to find the Lock, which has a cool company name of "JUNKUNC BROS" and at the other homestead got a piece of very old and thick Pewter spoon handle, gilt button and a knob of some type and clad coins.....
Maybe tomorrow will be a nice old coin for me. :)

The Half Dollar is in the photo for size comparison only , the rosette is 45cm in diameter.

Don

Attachments

• IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 525
Upvote 0
S

stefen

I have similar solid silver rosettes on my saddle that I bought in Mexico years ago...about 2 inch diameter..

What would you estimate the age of the one you found?

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Seem's I've seen one of those rosette's here before Don....I'll take that over a coin anyday,well maybe.Nice find!

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as estimating age, I would say no later than 1900, but could be much earlier, the spread of finds at this site is almost 250 years.

Here are my other rosettes and similar items, and the one found today is larger than any of these. The over exposed one in the center seems to be a softer pewter, sorry it is overexposed in this photo, since it is a beautiful designed one.

Don

Attachments

• Rosettes n Conchos.jpg
    Rosettes n Conchos.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 1,386
S

stefen

Nice collection...now if they could only tell a story...

The two at the top with the star can be seen on occassions in the CA...in fact I sold a western roping saddle maybe 20 years ago that had the identical rosettes.

They were set at the bottom of the cantle with latigos

I would date mine from the 1920's - 1930's.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,
Beautiful rosette. Nice find.
Any back mark on the button?
Congrats,
MM

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Don,

I have an almost identical Rosette I found in Georgia at a colonial through the civil war era site. Mine is all mutilated. Plow got to it before I did. Nothing as nice as yours. Great finds!!

Jim

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The horse rosettes are rare finds, Having been detecting old sites for quite some time now, I have only found a few nice pieces. This is one of my favorites , it contains a picture of a horse and chariot.......Great job and Keep on Digging! ;)

Gold C Medium Web 5.jpg

The Seeker

Attachments

• Gold C Medium Web 5.jpg
    Gold C Medium Web 5.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 334

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice rosette ... here is the only one I've dug so far ... always wanted to learn the significance of the grape cluster design on it but haven't yet ... congratz on a nice relic find ~ Jimmy

Attachments

• Bridlerossettefront.jpg
    Bridlerossettefront.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 358
  • Bridlerossetteback.jpg
    Bridlerossetteback.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 401

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find, and a beautiful rosette. I've had good luck toothpicking the crud off of the pewter, but I suppose a dremel will work well too. I like the fact that the toothpick doesn't scratch.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the Rosette, Don. I am sure you will dig more goods out of that soil!

The cabinet drawer pull looks exactly like one that I dug quite a while back from a tavern site. It is possibly from the same manufacturer, as the site was not too far from you. The tavern burned down prior to 1850.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread